DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Speed Dial

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Speed Dial

Is there a way to make a native phone dialer in MIUI speed dial by long pressing a key??? For example, I want to be able to long press 2 for one of my contacts, 3 for another, etc. I currently use another dialer (there are plenty on the market), but I really like the native phone app, and want to get rid of other dialer if I can.

Thank you

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPA View Post
    Is there a way to make a native phone dialer in MIUI speed dial by long pressing a key??? For example, I want to be able to long press 2 for one of my contacts, 3 for another, etc. I currently use another dialer (there are plenty on the market), but I really like the native phone app, and want to get rid of other dialer if I can.

Thank you

If anyone knows please correct me if Iím wrong, but I donít think you can pre-assign individual keys on the Miui dialer to speed dial.

However you can place multiple direct dial shortcuts on your home screen:

Menu> Editing mode> Menu> Add> Shortcuts> Direct dial> choose a contact

I didnít like having multiple direct dial shortcuts on my home screen. So since I use SwipePad, I assigned each of my direct dial contacts to a SwipePad slot. Now the icons are off the home screen and since theyíre programed into SwipePad, I can use them from within any app which is a huge plus.

If you use SwipePad and have already assigned functions to all 12 slots, I highly recommend paying $1.76 to buy MoreSpace: SwipePad add-on. With it you can create additional pads/slots and also name each pad with a title if you want. Itís a dirt cheap investment that is an unmistakable value because of the additional choices in multitasking it offers. Also itís a painless way to support a great developer.

Iím a big fan of SwipePad.

Using these methods of course means that you wonít actually open the Miui dialer to use an assigned key from it, but the calls are made via the Miui dialer, which means you could get rid of the other dialer.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    ^^^^^

This is correct

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidlovinyogi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPA View Post

Thank you

If anyone knows please correct me if Iím wrong, but I donít think you can pre-assign individual keys on the Miui dialer to speed dial.

However you can place multiple direct dial shortcuts on your home screen:

Menu> Editing mode> Menu> Add> Shortcuts> Direct dial> choose a contact

I didnít like having multiple direct dial shortcuts on my home screen. So since I use SwipePad, I assigned each of my direct dial contacts to a SwipePad slot. Now the icons are off the home screen and since theyíre programed into SwipePad, I can use them from within any app which is a huge plus.

If you use SwipePad and have already assigned functions to all 12 slots, I highly recommend paying $1.76 to buy MoreSpace: SwipePad add-on. With it you can create additional pads/slots and also name each pad with a title if you want. Itís a dirt cheap investment that is an unmistakable value because of the additional choices in multitasking it offers. Also itís a painless way to support a great developer.

Iím a big fan of SwipePad.

Using these methods of course means that you wonít actually open the Miui dialer to use an assigned key from it, but the calls are made via the Miui dialer, which means you could get rid of the other dialer.
    I looked at SwipePad. Looks like a great app. But for some reason I can't dial my direct dial shortcuts with swipepad. The app force closes, and I can't fix it and say allow direct dial. Any suggestions???
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    HmmmÖIf you havenít already, try these:

Place a couple of the direct dial shortcuts on your home screen and try using them to make calls just to make sure they work from there

Rebooting

Uninstalling and reinstalling SwipePad, then programing the slots again with the direct dial shortcuts

Reboot into recovery and wipe cache

If youíre using a theme other than stock, go back to the stock theme and try it

Those are things I can think of for you to try. Also make sure youíre using the latest version of SwipePad from the market, 0.8.7. The previous version had an inability to add an app in Miui which has been fixed in the latest version Ė even though getting an app to open isnít your situation. You could also try emailing the developer of SwipePad.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidlovinyogi View Post
    HmmmÖIf you havenít already, try these:

Place a couple of the direct dial shortcuts on your home screen and try using them to make calls just to make sure they work from there

Rebooting

Uninstalling and reinstalling SwipePad, then programing the slots again with the direct dial shortcuts

Reboot into recovery and wipe cache

If youíre using a theme other than stock, go back to the stock theme and try it

Those are things I can think of for you to try. Also make sure youíre using the latest version of SwipePad from the market, 0.8.7. The previous version had an inability to add an app in Miui which has been fixed in the latest version Ė even though getting an app to open isnít your situation. You could also try emailing the developer of SwipePad.
    Thank you for your help. I will try all these things and see what happens.

Links