I have successfully modified themes before, but for some reason, as of 184.108.40.206 and including 220.127.116.11, I cannot get new modifications to apply.
Here is a step by step of what I do to modify a theme.
1. Download mtz file from website.
2. Unzip mtz file using 7zip (9.20).
3. Find and replace png files.
4. Zip the entire theme using 7zip with the following settings:a. Archive format: zip5. Once the theme is zipped, I change the file extension to mtz.
b. Compression level: Store
c. Number of CPU threads: 2/2
6. I then copy the mtz file into the sdcard\MIUI\themes folder.
7. I use the MIUI File Explorer/Management app to travel to the mtz file on the sdcard.
8. Once I select the mtz file, the Theme Manager is brought up.
This is where the problem starts.
9. The preview images are not displayed, just a default “Preview unavailable” image.
10. When I select the Apply button, the phone goes through the process of applying the theme, however upon the reboot that takes place after the theme application process, the phone reverts to the default theme associated with the MIUI version.
Here’s what’s really driving me nuts, I can apply the theme I modified back on 3/10/11 (when MIUI 18.104.22.168 was installed on my phone) onto the MIUI 22.214.171.124 release, and everything applies just fine. Because the lockscreen is different on 126.96.36.199, the png files I used for the slider conflict with the placement and font color of the clock, phone, and sms icons. All I wanted to do was go back into the framework folder in my modified theme and delete the png files associated with the slider so that I can use the default slider that comes with MIUI 188.8.131.52. It seems pretty easy and straight forward to me, but when I try to do so I encounter the above error.
To make matters more confusing…
I wiped all using RZ Recovery and then restored my nandroid backup of 184.108.40.206. I then added a copy of an mtz file (I already edited previously) with some new adjustments using the steps above, and now I am getting the same error. So it can’t be the MIUI versions that is causing the problem, it has to be something I’m not doing right.
My only thought is that I am missing a step somewhere, and searching the forums hasn’t produced a solution.
Any help is greatly appreciated.