DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Battery Settings question - Stay Awake?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Battery Settings question - Stay Awake?

I just noticed under Settings > Battery Settings there is a "Stay awake" option. Does anyone know what this does? I had two guesses. First, I thought maybe it kept the lock screen from enabling when the screen was off, but I tested it and this isn't the case. Second, I thought it might keep the screen awake indefinitely, but this isn't the case either.

Any ideas? It seems to be a pretty odd setting as the battery should only not be "awake" when the battery is dead.

3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Try rebooting after applying the change.

Sent from Miui - My Theme 2 Droid
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitori View Post
    Try rebooting after applying the change.

OK, I just did that and nothing seemed to change...
  5. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Hmm...possibly a milestone feature.

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The Milestone is essentially just the GSM version of the Droid right?

Weird setting! I'm not sure if it actually even does anything at all. If anyone knows that it does in fact do something I'd be interested to find out.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR. BOO
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by publicanimal View Post
    I just noticed under Settings > Battery Settings there is a "Stay awake" option. Does anyone know what this does? I had two guesses. First, I thought maybe it kept the lock screen from enabling when the screen was off, but I tested it and this isn't the case. Second, I thought it might keep the screen awake indefinitely, but this isn't the case either.

Any ideas? It seems to be a pretty odd setting as the battery should only not be "awake" when the battery is dead.
    It does keep the screen awake, but it only applies when you're charging the battery. If I recall correctly, this is a feature that has been around for a long time; not only in MIUI. However, I think in other roms, and perhaps the stock OS, it's labeled "Keep screen awake while charging", or something similar to that. Why keep the screen awake when charging though is beyond me lol.

Oddly enough, you can have that setting turned on, but still press the screen off button and it works like normal. Weird.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams View Post

It does keep the screen awake, but it only applies when you're charging the battery. If I recall correctly, this is a feature that has been around for a long time; not only in MIUI. However, I think in other roms, and perhaps the stock OS, it's labeled "Keep screen awake while charging", or something similar to that. Why keep the screen awake when charging though is beyond me lol.

Oddly enough, you can have that setting turned on, but still press the screen off button and it works like normal. Weird.
    Ah, I think you're right. I think the settings menu used to that in previous Miui builds as well, it looks like the "while charging" just got dropped. Thanks for the reply.

I only plug my phone in when swapping files between my PC anyhow, I have 3 batteries that I charge externally and I just do a battery swap when the battery gets low. It's the life.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR. BOO
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams View Post

Ah, I think you're right. I think the settings menu used to that in previous Miui builds as well, it looks like the "while charging" just got dropped. Thanks for the reply.

I only plug my phone in when swapping files between my PC anyhow, I have 3 batteries that I charge externally and I just do a battery swap when the battery gets low. It's the life.
    Yeah it's weird they changed it to just "Stay Awake". The only thing I could think of is that they assumed that by putting the setting in the battery settings menu, we'd pick up on that lol.

Totally agree about sporting multiple batteries. I only have 2 myself, but that's more than enough to get me through a day or 2/3.
  10. ty_
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Dr0id.
    under the development settings there is the still the option to keep the screen awake while charging.

Links