DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 68 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: [OFFICIAL THREAD] Steel Droid -4-7-2014 - Resurrecting Gingerbread!

1. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, LG G2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Sounds like a plan. I have updated the OP with a small changelog of the progress of 10.1 RC. It will be updated as I remember to do so, and as releases come out. I didnt realize I had 60 Likes. lol Thats amazing! Thank you to everyone for supporting the LONG development cycle of the D1, and sticking with the phone that started it all! Im not going to give up this development, as long as I can still successfully sync the gingerbread branch!
    ! NEW DEVICE ! (as of 01-05-2014)
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

Steel Droid v12.0 (GB WIP)
    RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

If you like my work, please donate!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nex΅s
    I always wipe no matter what as well. It gives you that "fresh" feeling when you boot up the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
    Samsung Galaxy SIII - TW 4.1.2 VRBMF1
    Running JellyBeans Builds
    • Just Smooth...
    LeanKernel 3.0 EXP
    • Incredibly Awesome •
    ———————————Direct Injected——————————

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    btw, how is this for overclocking on the og droid lol

[OFFICIAL THREAD] Steel Droid -4-7-2014   -   Resurrecting Gingerbread!-screenshot-1333339048987.png
    the final days of my d1 so i figured id make it scream speed..i could go up to 1.3 GHz but its wayy too unstable and would only last maybe 15 minutes before a reboot) how about a linpack score of 20.6 though
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    hmm, has anyone flashed RC3 yet? i noticed something odd before even flashing it, there are 2 odd folders in /system/app (yes i checked the md5sum of the download and it matched) .fr-mHpWIr is the first one and the second one is .fr-VbQw3H
    are those supposed to be there???

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motoral Droid A855
    MetalSpring,

I have been following a number of your tweaks as I am running the SD10r1 and Deprimed kernel. I am getting ready to active the swap part. I set it to 128mb to be safe but then upon re-reading thru the Deprimed Break if you can thread I saw this posted by Prime
    Post #1347 Posted by Prime:
    On swap I would use no more than 32M, larger values may (my observances) degrade performance and battery life.
    Original post
    This of course got me wondering and as you have done quite a bit of testing it seems I thought I would get your input.

My current setup is a 32g class 4 28g Fat32 / 1g ext4 / 128mb Linux Swap (did the partitioning via Minitool Partition Wiz started with a full wipe)

Will be using link2sd (as I understand it also runs the scrips for the mounting of the ext partition and then via OS on boot.)

For activating the swap and setting the swappiness I pulled the script zip from the Partitioning guide thread over on XDA One sets swappiness at 40% the other at whatever the ROM is set to default at IIRC 60% ?

Trying to see just how well I can get this SD ROM and Deprimed Kernel to running. Want to make sure I am applying the various tweaks that have productive effects. I think this ROM paired to this kernel is the best and most stable and issue free setup I have ever run on the D1

BTW I posted a few ??? on your thread over on XDA: One Stop for Tweaks and Other Useful Stuff If when you have time you could take a look. Thanks

ChevyCam94,

Man you have done an AWESOME job with this ROM and all your support. The best ROM I have run to date. Look forward to your updates and future work. Will be loading the newest update once I apply and test these current changes. (Need to know what effects what as best I can.)
  6. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, LG G2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    hmm, has anyone flashed RC3 yet? i noticed something odd before even flashing it, there are 2 odd folders in /system/app (yes i checked the md5sum of the download and it matched) .fr-mHpWIr is the first one and the second one is .fr-VbQw3H
    are those supposed to be there???
    I notice that too, now that you mention it. I never saw them before. Its really strange. Guess I will have to look into it more. Could just be hidden folders that I just dont see with my current browser settings.

UPDATE: I got it fixed. They were temp folders left over from compression, and never got deleted. They "shouldnt" show up anymore.
    Last edited by chevycam94; 04-02-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    ! NEW DEVICE ! (as of 01-05-2014)
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

Steel Droid v12.0 (GB WIP)
    RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

If you like my work, please donate!
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeasy911 View Post
    MetalSpring,

I have been following a number of your tweaks as I am running the SD10r1 and Deprimed kernel. I am getting ready to active the swap part. I set it to 128mb to be safe but then upon re-reading thru the Deprimed Break if you can thread I saw this posted by Prime

This of course got me wondering and as you have done quite a bit of testing it seems I thought I would get your input.

My current setup is a 32g class 4 28g Fat32 / 1g ext4 / 128mb Linux Swap (did the partitioning via Minitool Partition Wiz started with a full wipe)

Will be using link2sd (as I understand it also runs the scrips for the mounting of the ext partition and then via OS on boot.)

For activating the swap and setting the swappiness I pulled the script zip from the Partitioning guide thread over on XDA One sets swappiness at 40% the other at whatever the ROM is set to default at IIRC 60% ?

Trying to see just how well I can get this SD ROM and Deprimed Kernel to running. Want to make sure I am applying the various tweaks that have productive effects. I think this ROM paired to this kernel is the best and most stable and issue free setup I have ever run on the D1

BTW I posted a few ??? on your thread over on XDA: One Stop for Tweaks and Other Useful Stuff If when you have time you could take a look. Thanks
    as far as how big swap should be it all depends on how much you use your phone and how often you reboot, if you use it a lot and dont reboot often then i'd suggest a bigger partition, if you reboot a lot then a small one should be sufficient...also its a lot easier to mount than those scripts you linked to and so is setting swappiness...
    its as simple as putting one of these into one of the scripts in /etc/init.d
    Code:
    swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    or
    Code:
    swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    (it depends on where you have your swap partition so try each one in terminal emulator first to see which works)
    and swappiness is just putting this in the same file as the swapon script (you can set the 30 to any number but 30 is recommended)
    Code:
    sysctl -w vm.swappiness=30
    and lastly there is just one thing you have to do before using link2sd is mounting the ext partition first which is just running this in terminal once, you only need to do this the first time you run link2sd
    Code:
    modprobe ext4
    Quote Originally Posted by chevycam94 View Post
    I notice that too, now that you mention it. I never saw them before. Its really strange. Guess I will have to look into it more. Could just be hidden folders that I just dont see with my current browser settings.

UPDATE: I got it fixed. They were temp folders left over from compression, and never got deleted. They "shouldnt" show up anymore.
    so would it be ok just to delete those folders before flashing or would it mess up the updater script in recovery?

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motoral Droid A855
    I ran into an issue. Not sure if its a bug or something that's just not supported. Is ext4 supported in SD10rc1? I just finished formatting the SD card into 3 parts. Fat32/EXT4/Swap (all primary and in that order with minipart wiz app). Am running Link2sd app. When it went to run the mounting script it got kicked back with a

Mount Script Error:

Mounting script cannot be created

mount: mounting /dev/block/vold/179:2 on /data/sdext2
    failed: no such device

From what I have read in the link2sd thread it appears this can happen when a ROM is missing matching ext2.ko, ext3.ko, or ext4.ko modules and even some additional modules to be able to mount the specific formatted partition.

I thought I had read in one of the cm7 threads that ext4 was support. But maybe it was incorrect?

Or am I missing a setup, need to clear or wipe something etc....???

Any ideas?

Would like to use ext4 if possible but can reformat to ext3 if needed of course.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motoral Droid A855
    dang it

I did not catch that you posted before my last. I did not mount the ext part first before running link2sd. I will go back and try that. So I guess disregard my last until I try again.

Thanks for the other into. I tend to reboot once a day as I have always found from stock to root to major mods things just run better. Can a script be made or is there a app that could do a scheduled reboot?? It would be great to have any of my droid devices to auto reboot say while I sleep and its on the charger. Maybe a a option in the setting of Steel Droid to do rebooting schedule options?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeasy911 View Post
    dang it

I did not catch that you posted before my last. I did not mount the ext part first before running link2sd. I will go back and try that. So I guess disregard my last until I try again.

Thanks for the other into. I tend to reboot once a day as I have always found from stock to root to major mods things just run better. Can a script be made or is there a app that could do a scheduled reboot?? It would be great to have any of my droid devices to auto reboot say while I sleep and its on the charger. Maybe a a option in the setting of Steel Droid to do rebooting schedule options?
    Btw you can always check what modules are included my going to /system/lib/modules
    and you can make your own reboot script, just get script manager from the play store, go to /data, hit settings> new> new script...then just put this under the lines that are already there
    Code:
    su
    reboot
    save and make it a favorite...then you can schedule it through settings more> advanced options> scheduler
    (sounds complicated but its really not)

Links