DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 20 of 190 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 120 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: [OFFICIAL THREAD] Steel Droid -4-7-2014 - Resurrecting Gingerbread!

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    That happens to me with launcherpro, which is the only launcher I use, except when starting fresh I'll use the stock one before I restore all my apps. I find that its more my phone acting up than the actual launcher. Like I can tell right now my phone isn't running top notch by the couple second hang that'll happen when typing randomly, and just system lag in general. I guarantee I could install any launcher available and they'd all work subpar. I'm lookin forward to SD10 so I can sbf back to stock and start fresh again, and try and figure out where it goes wrong at.

Its tough to narrow it down. I can't tell if its restoring apps that cause the slowdown, or the swap partition, or my current kernel setup or what it is, I Just know its not at the peak of its game. Sometimes when scrolling a webpage and tap an empty field to input data, sometimes the keyboard won't have enough memory or somethin to load up, I'll have to tap outside the box then in it again to get the keyboard to pop up. Just little things like that that make it evident that something is holding it back. Here's to praying SD10 is the ultimate setup for any OG in existence...ayy!!

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    That's weird, my phone runs smooth with go launcher, even with the effects on. Rarely stutters and when it does its not too noticeable.

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by meishkov View Post
    That happens to me with launcherpro, which is the only launcher I use, except when starting fresh I'll use the stock one before I restore all my apps. I find that its more my phone acting up than the actual launcher. Like I can tell right now my phone isn't running top notch by the couple second hang that'll happen when typing randomly, and just system lag in general. I guarantee I could install any launcher available and they'd all work subpar. I'm lookin forward to SD10 so I can sbf back to stock and start fresh again, and try and figure out where it goes wrong at.

Its tough to narrow it down. I can't tell if its restoring apps that cause the slowdown, or the swap partition, or my current kernel setup or what it is, I Just know its not at the peak of its game. Sometimes when scrolling a webpage and tap an empty field to input data, sometimes the keyboard won't have enough memory or somethin to load up, I'll have to tap outside the box then in it again to get the keyboard to pop up. Just little things like that that make it evident that something is holding it back. Here's to praying SD10 is the ultimate setup for any OG in existence...ayy!!

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
    yea i have these same issues. are you using Swype? I use Swype and unfortunately the newer versions includes Swype Connect that always runs, sucks up ram, and can't be turned off (in these beta versions).

also, I found a website that has older versions of APK's. I uninstalled the newest Maps and installed version 5.0.0 which was right before they included Latitude. Now maps runs a lot better and no longer has the stupid "FriendService" running which is used by Latitude, even though I'm not signed up for it.

I've been working on this phone a lot the past 2 days. So far, I put on the newest beta version of the v6 supercharger script ([Script][MOD][U9RC6.1] Sticky 'n Smooth ISCream-=V6 SUPERCHARGER!=-The ONLY RAM Fixer - Page 838 - xda-developers) [do a nandroid backup first, just in case]. I've also been investigating VM heap size. In SD9.0 I use 48, but I'm going to lower that to 32, and give that a shot. Since using v6 supercharger I usually have around 35MB of free RAM, so maybe that will work better.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardx View Post
    yea i have these same issues. are you using Swype? I use Swype and unfortunately the newer versions includes Swype Connect that always runs, sucks up ram, and can't be turned off (in these beta versions).

also, I found a website that has older versions of APK's. I uninstalled the newest Maps and installed version 5.0.0 which was right before they included Latitude. Now maps runs a lot better and no longer has the stupid "FriendService" running which is used by Latitude, even though I'm not signed up for it.

I've been working on this phone a lot the past 2 days. So far, I put on the newest beta version of the v6 supercharger script ([Script][MOD][U9RC6.1] Sticky 'n Smooth ISCream-=V6 SUPERCHARGER!=-The ONLY RAM Fixer - Page 838 - xda-developers) [do a nandroid backup first, just in case]. I've also been investigating VM heap size. In SD9.0 I use 48, but I'm going to lower that to 32, and give that a shot. Since using v6 supercharger I usually have around 35MB of free RAM, so maybe that will work better.
    ...vm heap size is the same thing as the dalvik heap size btw and basically smaller isnt usually better...basically it stores essential data about apps and the cache eventually fills up so then it will have to run garbage collection in order to trim down and get rid of old data in the cache in order to make room for newer data. The garbage collection can significantly eat up device resources such as ram and i/o and slow your phone way down when its happening...obviously with a too small cache size it will do garbage collection much more frequently and slow your phone down more often...42-48 is usually a good size unless you have a ton of apps then you can go all the way up to 60 if you need to
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    ...vm heap size is the same thing as the dalvik heap size btw and basically smaller isnt usually better...basically it stores essential data about apps and the cache eventually fills up so then it will have to run garbage collection in order to trim down and get rid of old data in the cache in order to make room for newer data. The garbage collection can significantly eat up device resources such as ram and i/o and slow your phone way down when its happening...obviously with a too small cache size it will do garbage collection much more frequently and slow your phone down more often...42-48 is usually a good size unless you have a ton of apps then you can go all the way up to 60 if you need to
    thanks for that, it's some good additional information. from what i've been reading, especially for low RAM devices, the higher setting is not always better either. I guess that's the catch here.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Yea my Maps would always be running in the background until I turned off in Location&Security the "Use wireless networks" to determine location. Then in running services Maps no longer runs. The older versions did seem to run much better for our handicapped RAM device. Yea I threw on the newest v6 as soon as I installed my current ROM and loading up all my apps after SBF'ing back to stock. That vm heap size has always had me wondering though, since the highest I've ever gone is 40, and I always have 100+ apps or so, mostly stored on the SD card. I find some that are stored on the SD card just don't like being there, by the way they act. Maybe I shouldn't move all data apps to SD?
    Once this SD10 finally drops I'll SBF back to stock again to start from scratch, and once I load everything back on I'm definitely gonna try out that VM heap size of 60. Hopefully that'll make all the difference in the world...question regarding that....is there a way to tell that garbage collection is going on? Like just abnormal system lag possibly? Could a swap partition acting up effect it at all?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by meishkov View Post
    Yea my Maps would always be running in the background until I turned off in Location&Security the "Use wireless networks" to determine location. Then in running services Maps no longer runs. The older versions did seem to run much better for our handicapped RAM device. Yea I threw on the newest v6 as soon as I installed my current ROM and loading up all my apps after SBF'ing back to stock. That vm heap size has always had me wondering though, since the highest I've ever gone is 40, and I always have 100+ apps or so, mostly stored on the SD card. I find some that are stored on the SD card just don't like being there, by the way they act. Maybe I shouldn't move all data apps to SD?
    Once this SD10 finally drops I'll SBF back to stock again to start from scratch, and once I load everything back on I'm definitely gonna try out that VM heap size of 60. Hopefully that'll make all the difference in the world...question regarding that....is there a way to tell that garbage collection is going on? Like just abnormal system lag possibly? Could a swap partition acting up effect it at all?
    not sure if there is a way except maybe checking how much free space you have in your dalvik cache but i dont really know a good way to do that yet...
    and swap can slow things down occasionally but its better than compcache for long usage without rebooting
    basically swap and compcache do the same thing in different ways
    compcache partitions off a part of your ram and stores and compresses a part of app data usually stored in ram whenever you arent using that app. It takes a little bit of resources to uncompress it but it keeps apps in memory, however you cant set it too high or you lose too much ram for regular purposes and that will really really slow things down.
    swap basically just uses a partition or a swap file on your sdcard as imitation ram. the sdcard read/write speed is much much slower than real ram like compcache uses but swap isnt compressed and you can set it as high as you want and it will only slow down because of too much being stored and the device reading and writing more from swap than real ram

basically compcache is faster at first but slows way down sooner, swap isnt as fast but takes much longer to slow things down any more...

and sorry for being somewhat off topic chevy
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    I still think that this is one of those crucial things for the OG. Since no 2 are alike, I always just assumed mine was one that had to have either compcache or a swap partition to run gingerbread correctly. I made the switch awhile ago to swap partition after compcache no longer was working properly. Yea it was good for a couple hours or so but after that, man. It was tough to narrow it down to that let me tell you. I didn't want to admit it to myself that it had to go. I thought compcache was gonna be the savior for the OG that would enable it to be upgradeable for years to come. I mean it's stil proving it somewhat by the way that ICS alpha was running on it, but no working phone calls is no daily driver status for me unfortunately. Boy this sure did get off topic, but I think it's an important topic nonetheless.
  9. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, LG G2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    All reboot issues fixed on the D1!
    ! NEW DEVICE ! (as of 01-05-2014)
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98024A KitKat (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0