DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think of this mod?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freaking awesome!

9 50.00%
  • Pretty sweet!

5 27.78%
  • Its ok

4 22.22%
  • Not custom enough

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: OG Droid gets blue capacitive buttons, charing LED swap, and sound reactive LED!

1. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, LG G2
    DroidForums.net Developer

OG Droid gets blue capacitive buttons, charing LED swap, and sound reactive LED!

I have been tinkering with my PSP 1000 for about a week now, and decided to dive in and changing out that lame, white charging LED on my Droid, to a cool BLUE!

Took me about 15 minutes (was having trouble getting the new LED in place. There is literally no room for an LED, tweezers, and a soldering iron. lol)

I could put in any color LED I want in there. Some are brighter than others (blue is the brightest). I used 0603 SMD LED's, the exact same LED's that I use in my PSP and PS3 modding.

If your attempting this stuff on your own, I suggest NO MORE than a 15watt soldering iron. I still feel this might be a little on the dangerous side for some of these components, but I am very good at what I do, so Im a little more sure of myself than those just venturing into this.

================================================== ==================================================

I am offering this service to members of the community. However, to keep within the rules of the forum, I will ONLY accept correspondences from a Private Message. All dealings will only be dealt with in PM. I have not set a price yet.

================================================== ==================================================

Tools:
    T5 Torx precision screwdriver
    000 Phillips precision screwdriver
    Small precision flat head screwdriver (for opening the case parts)

4x 0603 SMD LED (any color will work)
    A LOT of patience, and damn good soldering skills

Here are some pics and videos of my capacitive buttons being swapped over to blue!
    Video link: Blue capacitive buttons in progress

OG Droid gets blue capacitive buttons, charing LED swap, and sound reactive LED!-blue-buttons-led-swap-all-4.jpg

Sound reactive LED in rear speaker

Tools:T5 Torx precision screwdriver

Materials:
    1x 10uF electrolytic capacitor
    1x 39ohm SMT resistor
    1x 47ohm SMT resistor
    1x 0603 SMD LED (any color will work)
    ~4 inches of 30 gauge wire (Kynar preferred, and maybe not even 4", probably less)

OK, now this was a fun one. I kept thinking to myself, how I would route the wires, how to best set it up, whether to make it direct contact or now, whether or not to use a low-pass filter, and I finally decided on this. It took quite a bit of work, despite the fact that is looks more than simple. My back actually hurts from bending over my workbench for about 7 hours today, almost straight. This is what 8 cans of pop, and 2 Monsters will do to me. --> LOL

Here are some pics I took along the way!

Here is the diagram, for those of you wanting to do this yourselves.

This one shows where I notched a path for the wires and the LED.

This shows the LED in place, on its side, soldered up, before I hot glued it in place.

This one is from the under side of the speaker housing, showing where I routed the wires.

This is a partial progress shot, so you get an idea how small this components are.

And finally, and completed product! Tucked away nicely. Decided not to glue it in place, as Im not finished yet.

This is a video of my small test to see how well sound reactive LEDs will work with the Droids hardware.
    Video link: Sound reactive LED test

This is a video of the final product, before it was put back together. I still want to add a second LED, as I think it doesnt light up bright enough as it is.
    Video link: Blue sound reactive rear speaker (single LED finished, second LED in progress)

Tools:
    T5 Torx precision screwdriver

Materials:
    1x 0603 SMD LED (any color will work)

Here are my pics of the charging LED swap!

Last edited by chevycam94; 12-27-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    13th angel, Ozzie and CJM like this.
    ! NEW DEVICE ! (as of 01-05-2014)
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

Steel Droid v12.0 (GB WIP)
    RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

If you like my work, please donate!

3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    That's awesome, in electronics LED's can make or break something

4. Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    That's awesome, in electronics LED's can make or break something

so can soldering irons

looks nice.
    Dave MacLeod

5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacleo View Post

so can soldering irons
    So true

6. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    _mister_e
    Phone
    Thunderbolt BootManager=Pimped
    my psp phat aka 1001 has 6 just over buttons but has built in camera mod and umd removed
    not bad my psp 2001 aka slim has 36 leads and 28 of which are sound activated
    my psp 3001 aka slim also but non permanent hack i didnt do any lights to it
    and my go is crap

can't say I would do my android but not bad.

soldering irons are fine its the tool using them that messes things up. common sense says short periods of heat and you will be fine. with good flux you only need to heat the addition not really the board.
    Last edited by QUAGMIRE; 12-09-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
    Unknown
  7. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAGMIRE View Post
    my psp phat aka 1001 has 6 just over buttons but has built in camera mod and umd removed
    not bad my psp 2001 aka slim has 36 leads and 28 of which are sound activated
    my psp 3001 aka slim also but non permanent hack i didnt do any lights to it
    and my go is crap

can't say I would do my android but not bad.

soldering irons are fine its the tool using them that messes things up. common sense says short periods of heat and you will be fine. with good flux you only need to heat the addition not really the board.
    You definitely know what your talking about. I have my PSP modded, and Im working on a dual, internal memory stick mod. Not the CR 5200, or anything like that, but an actual, switchable (live) mod, between a removable stick, and a permanent "Pandora" stick. All without being in the UMD area. I have other plans for that space....
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

8. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    _mister_e
    Phone
    Thunderbolt BootManager=Pimped
    well lord nikon at at acid mods had some very informative tutorials my slim is dual switched depending on color of flash I want. 1 switch wlan off position turns blue on hold button turns green on 2x lm386 14 of each color triggers joypad menu bar and buttons don't flash but are red. I thought about the added memory mod but actually went usb loading so its limitless 16 gigs is more then enough travel memory for me. my next mod is gonna be the speakers mod louder and add bass.

also phat and slim 2001 both in crystal clear casings
    Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
    Unknown
  9. n00b.
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    raidzero_
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus S 4G
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Sweet! Though I chose to simply cover mine up...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
    Sweet! Though I chose to simply cover mine up...
    Weren't you who first got the leds working while in your recovery all that only to cover the led ha

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz
  11. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAGMIRE View Post
    well lord nikon at at acid mods had some very informative tutorials my slim is dual switched depending on color of flash I want. 1 switch wlan off position turns blue on hold button turns green on 2x lm386 14 of each color triggers joypad menu bar and buttons don't flash but are red. I thought about the added memory mod but actually went usb loading so its limitless 16 gigs is more then enough travel memory for me. my next mod is gonna be the speakers mod louder and add bass.

also phat and slim 2001 both in crystal clear casings
    Whats your username at AM? (if your a member there) Over at AM, Im TheArkMan2009. Also, I was the first person to have a fully functional home row LED mod.

I have decided to work harder on the Droid 1, and see what else I can add to it, as far as hardware mods go.

Another question I have for you. I cant seem to get the LM386 setup to function correctly. I have it build per the diagram, and the LED is freaking bright, which is fine, but it doesnt pulse to the music, like the direct contact LED's do. In fact, when a low frequency beat happens, the direct-contact LED's get BRIGHTER (which is whats supposed to happen), and the LM386-driven LED's get DIMMER (NOT whats supposed to happen. 30K and 191K resistors, speaker + and - hookups, +5v for the IC, and hold switch activated (yes, I cut the trace. Hold switch does make it work like designed). I just dont understand why the LM386 is functioning backwards. lol
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links