DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Whats would you rate this release? (1 = worst, 5 = best)

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS

63 58.88%
  • 4 STARS

31 28.97%
  • 3 STARS

6 5.61%
  • 2 STARS

3 2.80%
  • 1 STAR

6 5.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: [RELEASE] Steel Droid 9.0 Gingerbread - 11-17-2011

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nex΅s
    Isnt there a developer version of the Razr?

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy SIII - TW 4.1.2 VRBMF1
    Running JellyBeans Builds
    • Just Smooth...
    LeanKernel 3.0 EXP
    • Incredibly Awesome •
    ———————————Direct Injected——————————

2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrUhNiGGs View Post
    Isnt there a developer version of the Razr?

There was on preorder in Europe. I can't remember whether or not it is slotted to hit the US though.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nex΅s
    Oh, well yeah i too am tempted to get a RAZR max but I of course cannot deal with a locked bootloader. Galaxy Nexus for me (hopefully by April)

JSM9872 likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy SIII - TW 4.1.2 VRBMF1
    Running JellyBeans Builds
    • Just Smooth...
    LeanKernel 3.0 EXP
    • Incredibly Awesome •
    ———————————Direct Injected——————————

4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone A854

Same Problem

I have been having the same problem. It usually hangs the phone such that I have to take out the battery to re-boot it. I have been trying to remove software and change settings to see if I can fix this problem, but have not been able to yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gdroidnoob View Post
    Hello I've installed this ROM for about a week now but there's only one BIG problem.... when the phone is ringing (receiving a call) and I answer, the phone freezes, keeps vibrating and I can hear the person who's calling but the caller can't.... then a message appears saying that the phone application doesn't respond and I have to force close and reboot the phone...... any sugestion?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yihhdle View Post
    I have been having the same problem. It usually hangs the phone such that I have to take out the battery to re-boot it. I have been trying to remove software and change settings to see if I can fix this problem, but have not been able to yet.
    sounds like a low memory issue where Dialer app is hanging. I would try to first use zepllingrox's v6 supercharger script (google for it). This changes around gingerbread's default memory priorities to something that makes sense and customized for our device. If that fails, I would try SBF'ing back to stock, re-rooting, installing rzr recovery, and then a clean install of the ROM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

I just tried Steel Droid 9

Quote Originally Posted by alucardx View Post
    sounds like a low memory issue where Dialer app is hanging. I would try to first use zepllingrox's v6 supercharger script (google for it). This changes around gingerbread's default memory priorities to something that makes sense and customized for our device. If that fails, I would try SBF'ing back to stock, re-rooting, installing rzr recovery, and then a clean install of the ROM.
    I finally rooted my OG Droid for the first time a couple days ago. I've been running stock since I got the phone 2 years ago but the past few months the phone has been getting less stable (apps quiting and farting) and lagging a lot. I figured it was time to try out a ROM. I read lots of good reviews of Steel Droid so I figured I'd give it a go. Here's my report.

Rooting and installing wasn't terribly hard. The Steel Droid app looks nice with the muted blue theme but I immediately wondered about the readability of the status bar at the top. I think the original green was easier to read, especially with ambient light. I started getting my apps reloaded and into usable positions when I had a couple lags and at least a few random restarts. I've had the problem that others mention where the phone continues to ring even after answering the call. The other side can't hear me but I can hear them, mixed with the continuing ring. It doesn't happen 100% but probably around 75% of the time. I've also had issues with apps not starting right away. I tap and wait, then tap again and wait then tap... Basically, the lag type stuff I was having stock but maybe worse. Maps seems like it might be a little faster though. One other issue is that I rely on an app called GPSTracker to keep a log of my whereabouts for various reasons ( mostly for billing clients) and I've found that this app will quit randomly when running in the background. On the original ROM it would generally keep going until I quit it which was what worked best. I would simply turn my GPS on and off as I need it and it would log when it could find the GPS signal. On this SD ROM it seems to quit the app for me when I'm doing other stuff (like using the maps) which is not a blessing. I started working on installing the V6 supercharger but have had trouble with making a backup of this ROM with Rom manager. When I tell it to make a backup it restarts the phone (or something) with the Motorola logo holding the screen for several minutes. Then it reboots into Steel Droid. When I go back to Rom manager to manage backups I see nothing. I also don't see any new files on the SD card. So, I'm a little hesitant to load a new ROM since I can't go back to this one.

So, I'm thinking about:
    A) Try to find the stock Rom and reload it. See if the phone is any quicker and more stable with it.
    B) Find another custom ROM to use.

I'm wondering what you guys suggest. I'm hearing that the phone answer issues are likely just an artifact of gingerbread on this phone model so I think a Froyo based ROM might better?

btw, the 2 things I was hoping for by rooting my droid was less lag and the ability to put a wifi sharing hotspot type app on the phone.

Thanks,
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by droidly View Post
    I finally rooted my OG Droid for the first time a couple days ago. I've been running stock since I got the phone 2 years ago but the past few months the phone has been getting less stable (apps quiting and farting) and lagging a lot. I figured it was time to try out a ROM. I read lots of good reviews of Steel Droid so I figured I'd give it a go. Here's my report.

Rooting and installing wasn't terribly hard. The Steel Droid app looks nice with the muted blue theme but I immediately wondered about the readability of the status bar at the top. I think the original green was easier to read, especially with ambient light. I started getting my apps reloaded and into usable positions when I had a couple lags and at least a few random restarts. I've had the problem that others mention where the phone continues to ring even after answering the call. The other side can't hear me but I can hear them, mixed with the continuing ring. It doesn't happen 100% but probably around 75% of the time. I've also had issues with apps not starting right away. I tap and wait, then tap again and wait then tap... Basically, the lag type stuff I was having stock but maybe worse. Maps seems like it might be a little faster though. One other issue is that I rely on an app called GPSTracker to keep a log of my whereabouts for various reasons ( mostly for billing clients) and I've found that this app will quit randomly when running in the background. On the original ROM it would generally keep going until I quit it which was what worked best. I would simply turn my GPS on and off as I need it and it would log when it could find the GPS signal. On this SD ROM it seems to quit the app for me when I'm doing other stuff (like using the maps) which is not a blessing. I started working on installing the V6 supercharger but have had trouble with making a backup of this ROM with Rom manager. When I tell it to make a backup it restarts the phone (or something) with the Motorola logo holding the screen for several minutes. Then it reboots into Steel Droid. When I go back to Rom manager to manage backups I see nothing. I also don't see any new files on the SD card. So, I'm a little hesitant to load a new ROM since I can't go back to this one.

So, I'm thinking about:
    A) Try to find the stock Rom and reload it. See if the phone is any quicker and more stable with it.

I'm wondering what you guys suggest. I'm hearing that the phone answer issues are likely just an artifact of gingerbread on this phone model so I think a Froyo based ROM might better?

btw, the 2 things I was hoping for by rooting my droid was less lag and the ability to put a wifi sharing hotspot type app on the phone.

Thanks,
    you can do the backup manually, just turn your phone off, slide the keyboard open, then press and hold the power button and "x" on the keyboard until you see a recovery screen, its not hard to find the option to back up from there

btw, wifi tethering app for any rooted droid is here
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    well I wouldn't use a ROM manager, maybe that's part of the problem. These are the steps I've used and I haven't had any major bugs (like the dialer issue) in Gingerbread.

sbf to stock > root > install RZR recovery > full wipe everything twice > install SD9.0

Now that you have a real recovery app, you can make nandroid backups when your tweaking.

If you're using Titanium Backup to restore your apps from Froyo, don't restore any system apps or data. Only user apps. This might be part of your ringer issues.

The problem with your GPS app, is the same issue I have with Android Music in gingerbread. gingerbread is too aggressive with killing apps so it's killing your app even though you want it to stay. v6 supercharager may help. there's no easy way to force an app to not be killed since all the methods rely on knowing the PID of the app which change everytime you reboot and/or run the app fresh. you can try using "auto memory management" which can change the OOM priorities of apps. Unfortunately, i think you would have to run this and set your GPS app's priority every time you boot. I'm still trying to figure out an easier way without using an app. Something similar to how home can be locked in memory by editing build.prop.

Maps - no ROM will fix this, Google keeps adding crap to Maps so now it runs like **** on our old phones. I recommend downloading Maps 5.0 apk and use that version or an even earlier one. The older ones use less ram.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by droidly View Post
    While waiting for SD 10.0 - you might want to try a different ROM. People report different results with each individual ROM. The last ones I had luck with were CushZero 2.15 and Liquid 3.2 - but of course when Steel Droid 10.0 comes out, that's what I will be using.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    if you want to try the return to stock and reroot thing alucardx was saying, i have everything you need in the link in my signature, unless you're posting from the app i guess...
    well here is the link regardless lol

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ool-stuff.html
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1

Links