DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Volume Profile issue - vibrate kicks on with sms

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid

Volume Profile issue - vibrate kicks on with sms

Quick Breakdown:

1. SMS App: Handcent
    2. Volume Profile App: Volume Toggle
    3. ROM: Sourcery 1.3

Using Volume Toggle, I can create various profiles for every type of notification level: "alerts" , "messages" , "ringtone" , "notifications" , includign vibration for incoming calls / txt messages, etc...

At the tap of the widget, it will change from one profile to the next. I have a "bedtime" profile setup that turns basically every audio off (including vibrate) aside from "media" and "alerts" - so my alarm will wake me up, but all phone calls and txts can easily be ignored.

However, every time I get a text message, vibrate turns right back on and the msg vibrates my phone. I believe this just started happening with the Sourcery ROM (i can't remember exact time frame sadly).

I've talked with the Volume Toggle dev about this, and after a few back n forths, he showed me a work around (there are 3 buttons at the top in the profile configuration page, that will knock out any unwanted "noise"). Even with the work around applied, the txt message still kicks the vibrate on - tho the phone does not vibrate thanks to that extra little setting.

Now, I went into Handcent's notification settings, there is an option to "test notification settings" - I ran that, and nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Anyone else have a similar setup they'd be willing to test this out? If nothing else, it's just a matter of something doing something it shouldn't be doing. ...it's the annoyance of a bug more than anything - like i said, the work around in Volume Toggle "fixed my issue" (issue being: i get woken up a few hours too early due to friends in a different timezone)
    "Never look where you are going, always look where you want to go."

Galaxy Nexus

ICSourcery - It's Delicious Ice Cream Magic
    My Gimpy OG Droid is now officially a glorified alarm clock / potential media player (running Sourcery)

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Twitter
    droid1967
    Phone
    Droid 1/ G2x/Nexus
    DroidForums.net Developer

Yes other people please

Quote Originally Posted by techRob View Post
    Quick Breakdown:

1. SMS App: Handcent
    2. Volume Profile App: Volume Toggle
    3. ROM: Sourcery 1.3

Using Volume Toggle, I can create various profiles for every type of notification level: "alerts" , "messages" , "ringtone" , "notifications" , includign vibration for incoming calls / txt messages, etc...

At the tap of the widget, it will change from one profile to the next. I have a "bedtime" profile setup that turns basically every audio off (including vibrate) aside from "media" and "alerts" - so my alarm will wake me up, but all phone calls and txts can easily be ignored.

However, every time I get a text message, vibrate turns right back on and the msg vibrates my phone. I believe this just started happening with the Sourcery ROM (i can't remember exact time frame sadly).

I've talked with the Volume Toggle dev about this, and after a few back n forths, he showed me a work around (there are 3 buttons at the top in the profile configuration page, that will knock out any unwanted "noise"). Even with the work around applied, the txt message still kicks the vibrate on - tho the phone does not vibrate thanks to that extra little setting.

Now, I went into Handcent's notification settings, there is an option to "test notification settings" - I ran that, and nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Anyone else have a similar setup they'd be willing to test this out? If nothing else, it's just a matter of something doing something it shouldn't be doing. ...it's the annoyance of a bug more than anything - like i said, the work around in Volume Toggle "fixed my issue" (issue being: i get woken up a few hours too early due to friends in a different timezone)
    Would like other people to see about this. I dont know what on the rom would do anything differeent other than haveing the quiet hours like cm has , but would like to know this works on other roms but only happens with sourcery. I would have no idea how or what settings would effect this. let me know if you hear anything. at this point i just have no where to go to check this out.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    I was using LithiumMod 1.0.2(?) prior to Sourcery. I've been meaning to flash back to see if I can replicate it on there, but haven't had time. I might have a chunk of time this weekend at some point, so I'll try to isolate myself and do that.

I just wasn't sure if there was one little thing buried in the code somewhere that would force a vibrate upon receiving a txt message.

Galaxy Nexus

My Gimpy OG Droid is now officially a glorified alarm clock / potential media player (running Sourcery)
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Twitter
    droid1967
    Phone
    Droid 1/ G2x/Nexus

nothing in our source

Quote Originally Posted by techRob View Post
    I was using LithiumMod 1.0.2(?) prior to Sourcery. I've been meaning to flash back to see if I can replicate it on there, but haven't had time. I might have a chunk of time this weekend at some point, so I'll try to isolate myself and do that.

I just wasn't sure if there was one little thing buried in the code somewhere that would force a vibrate upon receiving a txt message.
    No there is nothing we did regarding vibations other than turn off the vibtation when shutting down. nothing underlining was changes in the source regarding mms or vibrations. 2.0 was rebuilt from source from the ground up so hopefully it wont have the same problem although im tending to think this is not a sourcery isolated condition but who knows.
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Haven't used handcent in a while but isn't there an option in the settings to have vibrate on all the time i would look for that and see if you can turn that off
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    TBolt!
    settings, notification settings,vibrate, always, never, only when set to vibrate.... im thinking maybe its set to always?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    So if I change the handcent setting, it never vibrate - even when I'd want it to? One way to find out I guess thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a whirl.

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

Galaxy Nexus

9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    Yea let me know how it goes i know i always had to change that setting to only when in vibrate i'm sure that's just what you need to do
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Gflam - you're right on the money. .. now I just need to find out how well I do without the vibration lol. Thanks for pointing me to that feature. ..and thanks to eagle and bassmankc for jumping in too

Galaxy Nexus

11. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    Ha no problem I used to use handcent like crazy before switching to the stock transparent one I did so I know the app pretty well

Links