DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Battery, Battery, Battery...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Battery, Battery, Battery...

Ok I want to know why my galaxy nexus seems to be the only one with terrible battery life. Everyone else seems to be getting awesome battery life using AOKP and Franco.kernel saying they can get a day and a half of life but I can get 6 hours max! I close every app once I'm done, I use juice defender,I under volt and yet I lose almost ten percent of battery every 5 minutes. Does anyone know what I should do? Should I delete apps or try different kernels?
    Galaxy Nexus(CDMA)
    a. Android 4.2
    b. CM 10.1
    c. Franco Kernel

Nexus 7(HSPA/3G)
    a. Android 4.2.1
    b. Completely Stock(For now)

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola D1, D2, DX1.
    1) delete juice defender.
    2) stop closing everything. Let your gNex work for you. It will learn.
    3) d/l milestone4 or latest nightly krrnsl 384gpu, go into recovery, delete cache and dalvik . Install kernal.
    Don't under volt it. Just let it settle in.
    If u still have crazy drain, you have a rouge app that is doing it.
    dezymond likes this.
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    I actually conquer with what knowpig said. It would also be good to know what are highest on your battery usage stats.
  5. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    +1 to what everything knowpig said as well.

You don't need to undervolt it because Franco's kernel has realtime voltage monitors/control. If you place the widget on your desktop and look it'll settle at the best state for your phone, so no need to muck around with the settings.

10% of battery life in 5 minutes seems to be a rogue app or Juice Defender causing some conflict. You can check the apps running the background to see what else is running as well.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Ok I did steps 1 and 2, and a I'm in the process of doing 3 right now. They battery has gotten a little better so far. After two hours and about 15 min of being turned on its at 68 percent and I only actually used it for about an hour. I think it might be a rouge app. Is there a way to find out what the app is?
    Galaxy Nexus(CDMA)
    a. Android 4.2
    b. CM 10.1
    c. Franco Kernel

Nexus 7(HSPA/3G)
    a. Android 4.2.1

7. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Yeah that doesn't seem right, especially if you're on AOKP. What did you do when you were on your phone for an hour?

Auto-anything can drain the battery faster of course, so if you have things refresh automatically, you can increase the intervals. Also are you in an area with a strong signal?

Under battery stats you can see what apps are using the most battery and also if you go to "apps" and check the running tab you'll see what's open.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdt283 View Post
    Ok I did steps 1 and 2, and a I'm in the process of doing 3 right now. They battery has gotten a little better so far. After two hours and about 15 min of being turned on its at 68 percent and I only actually used it for about an hour. I think it might be a rouge app. Is there a way to find out what the app is?
    This equates to about 3 hours of screen on time. That's not too bad and about right on with every rom/kernel I have tried. Peace out.

"Remember, friends don't let friends use IOS"
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Comparing battery life between two different people isn't extremely productive. Almost every user has a different usage pattern, different set of apps installed, different reception strengths, and many other differences that can have rather large impacts on battery life that wouldn't be totally dependent on ROM and kernel. Folks that are getting 20+ hours probably aren't using their device very heavily. They are either doing simple tasks that don't make their device sweat and/or not having the screen on for a majority of the time. If I turn the brightness up on my display, and play a game that makes my processor and GPU put in some work, I could probably kill my battery in a couple hours. On the other side of the coin, if I were to just let my device sit idle somewhere I could make my device last multiple days (I get about 1% drain per hour while it is idle). For example, today I didn't use my device much at all. I did some work outside and left it sitting on my desk for a few hours, I was at 80% after 14 hours of being unplugged.

I am not saying good battery life is a myth. Just that good is subjective depending on your variables.

There are definitely some tricks you can do to possibly get more out of your device. My VZW GNex Settings For Battery Life Thread - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki <-- I stumbled across that post/thread the yesterday, and it seems pretty good. Perhaps there are some tricks there to get you more battery life. I only scanned the first post, there could be some other useful tips throughout the thread.

A couple things I will say about my quick scan of it:
    - The first post is for Liquid and Lean Kernel, but it should be pretty much interchangeable between ROMs and kernels as long as the options exist. I am not running Liquid myself, and do quite a few of those tricks myself.
    - While he says a black wallpaper helps, it only helps if you are on your home page a lot. I often do a lot of texting with my phone, so a black background text client makes sense for my usage. This won't help a ton, especially at lower brightnesses. There apparently isn't a huge difference between white and black at lower brightnesses, but the brighter you get the bigger it is.
    - Better Battery Stats or BBM are helpful in tracking down problematic apps and perhaps other problems. CPUSpy also can help see if your device is entering deep sleep while you are idle.
    FoxKat likes this.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Yeah that doesn't seem right, especially if you're on AOKP. What did you do when you were on your phone for an hour?

Auto-anything can drain the battery faster of course, so if you have things refresh automatically, you can increase the intervals. Also are you in an area with a strong signal?

Under battery stats you can see what apps are using the most battery and also if you go to "apps" and check the running tab you'll see what's open.
    I played one game and used facebook and twitter. That probably took all of it with the running processes. i dont use anything auto, my strength here is about 4 bars of 3g so pretty strong, and i close everything thats running. i dont know what i did wrong but il check out what cupfulloflol's link and what he had to say.
    Galaxy Nexus(CDMA)
    a. Android 4.2
    b. CM 10.1
    c. Franco Kernel

Nexus 7(HSPA/3G)
    a. Android 4.2.1

11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdt283 View Post
    I played one game and used facebook and twitter. That probably took all of it with the running processes. i dont use anything auto, my strength here is about 4 bars of 3g so pretty strong, and i close everything thats running. i dont know what i did wrong but il check out what cupfulloflol's link and what he had to say.
    First and foremost, get rid of the official Facebook app, it is one of the worst apps for battery drain, try using something like friendcaster
    And you shouldn't close everything running, Android keeps it in memory for a reason- it allows the app to get relaunched more quickly and efficiently which will help save battery

Also by far the biggest battery drain is the screen, try to use manual brightness whenever possible and set the brightness as low as you can possibly stand
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links