DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery Life Tips

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC One X
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Excellent post ukyfan! Thank you for posting!

Task killers use battery and resources causing a viscous cycle of stopping apps/processes that are needed to run for your phone to work properly, only for those apps/processes to turn right back on, then get turned off again by the task manager and this will go on endlessly. Android does an excellent job of managing apps/processes that are running making task killer apps unnecessary.
    What about a task killer that you use on command? Like Advanced Task Killer? It only works when I push the button...
    Also, I have a problem because I don't get cell signal at work (In the Building) and so a lot of my batt gets used up searching.
    It says I can turn on Airplane mode to stop that, but is there a way I could get it to do that automatically or something.
    Or maybe only search every 15min....

Edited-Because I failed at reading....
    Last edited by Morgoroth; 10-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Actually, I have done that in the past...used a task killer to stop all running processes on demand, knowing the necessary processes would turn back on...but at least, it turned off the extras. On my older droid phones, this seemed necessary to do every once in a while because the phones could not handle everything I might have running. But these newer phones don't have that problem so it hasn't been necessary.

Anyway, the short answer to that question is that to use the task killer on command on occasion will not kill your battery, as long as you make sure it is not set to automatic.

The answer to your second question... my suggestion would be to get a toggle widget where you can toggle your data and Wi-Fi off while you're at work, then toggle it back on when you need it. I use widgetsoid because I can set it to have access from the notification bar.

The other option would be to set up Smart Actions battery extender (if you have that on your phone) or get an app that does similar (I use automateit) ... battery extender will turn data, Wi-Fi, sync off when your screen is off and turn it back on when screen is turned on.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC One X
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Actually, I have done that in the past...used a task killer to stop all running processes on demand, knowing the necessary processes would turn back on...but at least, it turned off the extras. On my older droid phones, this seemed necessary to do every once in a while because the phones could not handle everything I might have running. But these newer phones don't have that problem so it hasn't been necessary.

Anyway, the short answer to that question is that to use the task killer on command on occasion will not kill your battery, as long as you make sure it is not set to automatic.

The answer to your second question... my suggestion would be to get a toggle widget where you can toggle your data and Wi-Fi off while you're at work, then toggle it back on when you need it. I use widgetsoid because I can set it to have access from the notification bar.

The other option would be to set up Smart Actions battery extender (if you have that on your phone) or get an app that does similar (I use automateit) ... battery extender will turn data, Wi-Fi, sync off when your screen is off and turn it back on when screen is turned on.
    I have an app that does something like that. And my mobile is always off unless I turn it on and use it. But I turn it off immediately after that.

I've looked at the usage and after turning down the screen brightness, the biggest user of the battery is "Cell Standby."

I think that is what is going on at work where it searches for a signal, I just can't find any settings for any of that.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    If you turn data and Wi-Fi off, then it won't try searching for a signal. If you also have no phone signal, then airplane mode would work for that and you can get a toggle switch for that also. It could also be that your battery life is adequate for your use. You probably already mentioned this but how many hours do you get on average?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC One X
    I get all day out of it, but I don't use it that much.
    I usually only make one or two calls, and check email a hand full of times.
    Maybe a couple texts.

I do use it to listen to music, but that is in the car and I almost always have it plugged in.

I'm gonna try the airplane mode thing Monday and see how it goes.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC One X
    Ok, today I woke up at 8, and so far I've checked FB once and made an update, made one phone call that lasted 12min and 20sec and now at 2pm my phone is down to less than half?

Is that normal?

Oh, and when I looked at running apps, it said Google Maps has used 35% of my batt, but I have not used google maps today...
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    nice tips mate, awesome job, thanks a lot!
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Just another thanks for the nice tips!

Most of them are known, but it's great to see them collected in one place!
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Nice tips, thx~~ But always checking to turn off the stuff is annoying.
    I prefer to get an external battery.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    SH-12C 781 1769 1740
    thank you very much for these tips, it is very useful for me to protect my phone battery.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links