DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid 4 Battery: Can you overcharge

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4

Droid 4 Battery: Can you overcharge

Since I got my Droid 4 a few days after they were introduced in the US, I've been very careful to avoid keeping the device on the charger after the Battery % indicator (I charge in "sleep" mode) reaches 100%.

My question: Is this an unnecessary precaution, or does the Droid 4 have circuitry to prevent overcharging?

For what it is worth, I'm satisfied with my D4 battery life thus far. I have mobile hot-spot enabled, and if I know I'm going to use it for an extended time, I plug is (as recommended by Motorola); however, for a brief period (<15 minutes) I don't bother. As best I recall, the only time I plugged in was when I watched a movie on my iPad 2, using WiFi to my hot spot to get to the internet. With headphones, it was a somewhat satisfying experience, but, alas, no competition with my HD TV.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    You don't have to worry about the D4 overcharging. Not only will it not overcharge the battery, but it will also let it discharge a few % to prevent it from continually charging (like the old Thinkpad batteries that would die if you left them plugged in).

Pretty sure all mobile phones have this level of protection now. Many have quite sophisticated power subsystems.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    [QUOTE=podspi;2118890]You don't have to worry about the D4 overcharging. Not only will it not overcharge the battery, but it will also let it discharge a few % to prevent it from continually charging (like the old Thinkpad batteries that would die if you left them plugged in).

Pretty sure all mobile phones have this level of protection now. Many have quite sophisticated power subsystems.

does the droid 3 have the overcharge prevention? am considering buying a droid 4 BUT does anyone know of a droid 4 maxx coming out would hate to purchase a droid 4 and then find out a better phone with better battery are specificatins is coming
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Don't think a droid 4 maxx is coming to Verizon. The next model more than likely will be the droid 5. A variant of the droid 4 will launch on AT&T and that one might have better specs but I am not sure.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Well does anyone know if the droid 4 has the charge protection like the droid 4 does? is there an extended battery are something to help the droid 4 battery get the same as the razr maxx? Like the maxx BUT cant work the keyboard I must have a physical keyboard.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Just get an external battery pack. I have the Anker Slim Talk, works awesome. Amazon.com: Anker SlimTalk 3200mAh Backup External Battery Pack and Charger (Power Bank) with Flashlight for iPhone 4/4S/3GS, iPod Touch/Classic/Nano (require your own cable for Apple); Samsung: Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S II S2 I9100, T-Mobile T989, AT&T. Slim and has the USB cable/adapter built in - can be pulled out to charge the phone. Other people also like the Anker 5600 mAh.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by matt192004 View Post
    Well does anyone know if the droid 4 has the charge protection like the droid 4 does? is there an extended battery are something to help the droid 4 battery get the same as the razr maxx? Like the maxx BUT cant work the keyboard I must have a physical keyboard.

I know the Droid 1 did, so it is safe to assume the Droid 3 does as well.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanguy View Post
    Just get an external battery pack. I have the Anker Slim Talk, works awesome. Amazon.com: Anker SlimTalk 3200mAh Backup External Battery Pack and Charger (Power Bank) with Flashlight for ....
    Does it work with the Droid 4? Any special cable required?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Websquad View Post
    I'm pretty sure it has a USB micro B plug that connects to most phones. It's the standard non-iPhone size. Blackberry's had it too.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Websquad View Post
    Yes, it works with the Droid 4, and no, it does not require a special cable. What is neat about this battery is that the cord is recessed within the battery and you can pull the cord out to attach it to your Droid to charge.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links