DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy Verizon SamSung Tab and only Use Wifi

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Exclamation Looking to buy Verizon SamSung Tab and only Use Wifi

Hey guys, is this a good idea... I would like to only use it as a laptop sort of thing, With out a Verizon Plan. I would only like to use the wifi to connect.

Is this a good idea, is it easily done?

Also how does one JailBreak the Samsung Tab? So that i can download games/apps and so on..

Im a noob, who really wants one of these tabs.. Any help would be appreciated

Let me know

Thanks

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I'm sure there are plenty of guides on how to root it. Also it has the market so you can download apps and games.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    I rooted mine using z4root, and did the wpa_supplicant fix to enable ad-hoc wifi to tether with my phone. Looking to sell mine now though.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    I rooted mine using z4root, and did the wpa_supplicant fix to enable ad-hoc wifi to tether with my phone. Looking to sell mine now though.
    Post it up at Android Classifieds
    Sale or trade threads are not allowed here at DF
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You can download apps and games as is. How would changing it make things better or worse?

It works fine as a wifi only device. It connects automatically with a push of a button or two.

It's a cool device. I've had one for about a month. A youtube video on a galaxy held two feet away is the same picture size as it would appear on a 18" desktop monitor.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDroid View Post
    You can download apps and games as is. How would changing it make things better or worse?

It works fine as a wifi only device. It connects automatically with a push of a button or two.

It's a cool device. I've had one for about a month. A youtube video on a galaxy held two feet away is the same picture size as it would appear on a 18" desktop monitor.

Well the reason i would be interested in rooting or the thought of rooting it, is because i would be interested in free games and so on.

I know for my previous iphone i had to jailbreak it to do this... So im assuming i iwll need to root my tab when i get it to do the same. Download and play the games for free?

Also if anyone has any links to guides i can use it would be helpfull, as i have never done this before, i have only jailbroken my iphone

Thanks!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    graveyard76
    Phone
    The Bolt; Moto Xoom
    Android and iphone are two different o/s. You dont have to jailbreak or root to play games. As long as you have the market you are good to go...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Sounds like you're talking about stealing games to me which is something we don't discuss here.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DInc
    I have had the vzw tab since xmas. I rooted it easily with z4root, although this was not necessary for free games (readily avail on the market). I rooted for more control and ad-free apps. When I bought the tab, the vzw rep told me I would have to activate it ($35) and get at least the 2gb plan ($20 per month). None of this is true. There is a work around when you power up the device the first time using the volume button so you can skip the activation. Without activation or using 3g, they cannot charge you for the data plan. I use mine solely with wifi, either on a network or tethered to my dinc (with unlimited data). It works flawlessly, plus I turned off the vzw radio so I am getting close to 48 hours on a charge with 2 to 3 hours of use per day. I can't justify the vzw charges when I can do the same thing for free. The only bad thing is that vzw has gimped the tab so you cannot use it as a phone, but I already have a phone so not a big deal for me. Cheers.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    I have a Verizon tab also but its going back because Verizon also gimped the HID Bluetooth profiles meaning you cannot connect/pair any Bluetooth keyboards (like the apple one) to your Verizon tab. Your only option is to purchase the Samsung accessory keyboard/dock combo.

Also, FYI if you're planning to install any custom ROMS and such, there seems to be more available for the T-Mobile/AT&T version of the tab. If you're using wifi only you might consider a different tab rather than Verizon's. Just some things to think about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links