DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If I buy a used S4 without a sim, can I use the one in my razr maxx?

1. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
    The reason the ones on ebay don't come with sim cards, is because the sim cards store your personal information and should be used for a particular phone number.
    I don't think the sim card stores information. It seems to be the way Verizon links the phone to 4G.

The reason I'm saying this is when I had the Bionic, I used a way to "reacquaint" the phone to 4G. It entails powering down the phone, removing the sim card and powering up again (ignore the warning that a sim card isn't inserted). Then power down, reinsert the card and power up. Well, I reinserted the card in backwards and fried it. The phone worked fine, but no 4G. I took it to a Verizon store and told them what I did. They confirmed the sim card was fried and swapped one out for free.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Quote Originally Posted by FunN4Lo View Post
    If sim cards are so interchangeable, why does VZW give you a new sim card when you warrantee swap a phone even when it is same model for same model?
    Because they don't at least my two last phones I moved my simm card and it worked both times.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    I don't think the sim card stores information. It seems to be the way Verizon links the phone to 4G.

The reason I'm saying this is when I had the Bionic, I used a way to "reacquaint" the phone to 4G. It entails powering down the phone, removing the sim card and powering up again (ignore the warning that a sim card isn't inserted). Then power down, reinsert the card and power up. Well, I reinserted the card in backwards and fried it. The phone worked fine, but no 4G. I took it to a Verizon store and told them what I did. They confirmed the sim card was fried and swapped one out for free.
    That would be very wrong. The SIM card stores "your" name and phone number. As long as you are using "your" SIM from another phone it will work. Try inserting a SIM from a friends phone into your phone, and see what happens. Your phone will ask to activate with that SIM and will then assume the name and phone number from your friend and be linked to his/her account.
  4. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
    That would be very wrong. The SIM card stores "your" name and phone number. As long as you are using "your" SIM from another phone it will work. Try inserting a SIM from a friends phone into your phone, and see what happens. Your phone will ask to activate with that SIM and will then assume the name and phone number from your friend and be linked to his/her account.
    The phone worked fine with the fried card. All it didn't have was 4G. The card itself has the 4G logo on it.

The interchangeable sim card with your phone number may do that on other networks but not Verizon. I bought a T-Mobile phone on eBay so I could send my phonebook to my car (back in 2005) and used my Dad's sim card. Later I got an unregistered sim card (so I didn't need my Dad's card) and it cost $20.

When I went from the Bionic to the S4 the contacts came over via the cloud. They didn't just pull the card out of the Bionic and move it over.

I see where the problem is. The S4 works on several carriers and I first presumed that the OP was on Verizon. So yes, if it isn't Verizon you can put in the sim card you have and it should work. If it's Verizon, the sim card is just for 4G.
    Last edited by aaf709; 09-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    Maybe I'm dreaming, but I thought there were 3 kinds of locks:
    1. Carrier lock
    2. SIM lock
    3. Phone/Device lock

To use on an alternate Carrier, #1 must be disabled/unlocked.
    To switch SIM cards freely, #2 must be disabled.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    The phone worked fine with the fried card. All it didn't have was 4G. The card itself has the 4G logo on it.

The interchangeable sim card with your phone number may do that on other networks but not Verizon. I bought a T-Mobile phone on eBay so I could send my phonebook to my car (back in 2005) and used my Dad's sim card. Later I got an unregistered sim card (so I didn't need my Dad's card) and it cost $20.

When I went from the Bionic to the S4 the contacts came over via the cloud. They didn't just pull the card out of the Bionic and move it over.

I see where the problem is. The S4 works on several carriers and I first presumed that the OP was on Verizon. So yes, if it isn't Verizon you can put in the sim card you have and it should work. If it's Verizon, the sim card is just for 4G.
    I'm on Verizon and speaking for phones on Verizon. Sounds good that it works on your network. I always get a new SIM card when I change phones due to it not costing anything. As a matter of fact, Verizon tech support usually recommend a SIM card change if a person has problems with their phone.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    SIM cards come in 3 sizes.
    The T-Mobile SIM card for their S4 is a micro-sim. The older version(?) is not "GBA", and may not support the T-Mobile wifi calling feature.
    Google "SIM Exhaustion": planned obsolescence makes some sim cards only work for 2 years or 90K acesses.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by NWRULES View Post
    I've seen some S4's on eBay that don't come with a sim card. Wondering if the one in my maxx is the same size and compatible with the S4.?.....
    Yes you can use your Sim card of Razr Maxx into S4, as both of them support Micro-Sim Card.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    LG G2/GALAXY S4
    You can. I'm using the same SIM since my bionic. Since the bionic i've had a razr, galaxy nexus, razr maxx, razr hd, galaxy s3, galaxy S4, and now in my brand new LG G2. I have never had any issues. This is based on my personal experience. It will work fine. Sure you can get New SIM cheap or free but I don't see why you would need to run out and get another SIM.
    LG G2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links