Sometimes Verizon makes mistakes that benefits the customer. At the end of November 2011, I used my final annual upgrade (primary line) to get my daughter the Rezound on her line. Then in January 2012, I logged into My Verizon to pay my bill and my line showed that it was eligible for an upgrade. So due to a glitch, Verizon basically made my line eligible for an upgrade with 22 months left on my contract.
I think I know how this came about though. When I used the upgrade November 2011, the sales rep at the Verizon store used the upgrade on my line and put the phone on my daughter's line. A little over a month later, when I was in My Verizon, it prompted me that I needed to activate the Rezound on my line to complete the upgrade process or they would bill me the difference between the upgrade price and full retail. Apparently the sales rep must have used my upgrade, but never processed the acceptance of terms and conditions on my line. When I called into customer service, they said it was too late for me accept terms and conditions using their phone system, so they would need to mail me a written contract to sign and mail back. Once that was done, that process must have had reset my upgrade eligibility.