DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: US Cellular vs Verizon

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II

US Cellular vs Verizon

I currently pay $60.98 for 450 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data with Verizon. The downside obviously is that I need to pay full retail price if I want to keep my plan. Now I was checking out US Cellular, which has great coverage in NH (also has 4G LTE in my area), but of course if I leave NH then I will be on 3G.

US Cellular has competitive pricing, they will match my current 15% employer discount so I'll be paying $63.74 for 450 minutes, unlimited texts, and 2GB of data ($10 per each GB over 2) which is just $3 more per month than Verizon. Now granted it may not seem worth it to pay more for less LTE coverage, and 2GB vs unlimited, but I get to buy the phone subsidized. If you factor in the $700 vs $300 pricing for the Note 2, I'd be paying $95.98 on Verizon versus $78.74 on US Cellular.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone else have or is considering moving to US Cellular, especially since they seem to be getting the new Samsung phones around the same time (or earlier) than Verizon? In the past they always had a poor selection of smartphones, but they seem to be getting better.

FYI, I ran several speed tests both times I went into the US Cellular store and I managed to pull around 10-15Mbps down, 8-13Mbps up, and had a ping of around 100-125ms. On 3G I was getting around 1-1.5Mbps down and 0.75-1.5Mbps up.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx /Galaxy S III
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    I currently pay $60.98 for 450 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data with Verizon. The downside obviously is that I need to pay full retail price if I want to keep my plan. Now I was checking out US Cellular, which has great coverage in NH (also has 4G LTE in my area), but of course if I leave NH then I will be on 3G.

US Cellular has competitive pricing, they will match my current 15% employer discount so I'll be paying $63.74 for 450 minutes, unlimited texts, and 2GB of data ($10 per each GB over 2) which is just $3 more per month than Verizon. Now granted it may not seem worth it to pay more for less LTE coverage, and 2GB vs unlimited, but I get to buy the phone subsidized. If you factor in the $700 vs $300 pricing for the Note 2, I'd be paying $95.98 on Verizon versus $78.74 on US Cellular.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone else have or is considering moving to US Cellular, especially since they seem to be getting the new Samsung phones around the same time (or earlier) than Verizon? In the past they always had a poor selection of smartphones, but they seem to be getting better.

FYI, I ran several speed tests both times I went into the US Cellular store and I managed to pull around 10-15Mbps down, 8-13Mbps up, and had a ping of around 100-125ms. On 3G I was getting around 1-1.5Mbps down and 0.75-1.5Mbps up.
    In side of my house with U.S.Cellular I have -83dbm 4G signal with my Galaxy Note II and with my Verizon Razr Maxx the 4G signal in side is -115dbm so the clear winner in my area is U.S.Cellular. I live in a rural area but when you go in town they are about the same but I want the phone to work inside of my home so it is U.S.Cellular.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    whose towers does US Cellular use?
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid
    U.S.Cellular use there on towers.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    They have their own, but they only have service in a portion of the U.S. The rest of the country is 3G roaming off Verizon towers.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX

Re: US Cellular vs Verizon

If i was only paying Verizon 60 dollars Month I (sadly) would probably be buying a new retail phone every 5 months lol.

Return of the Android
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    U.S.Cellular uses Verizon towers when they are in a non USCC area's. I have heard some talk about them using Sprints towers also.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II

Re: US Cellular vs Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Caesars View Post
    If i was only paying Verizon 60 dollars Month I (sadly) would probably be buying a new retail phone every 5 months lol.

Return of the Android
    I'm right there with you. My goal is to get rid of every other phone but my two unlimited and cut my minutes down to the bare minimum.

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.
    Caesars likes this.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr M
    I think they just use their own towers. But i know Verizon roams off of their towers here where i live now. Just wish US Cellular would share their 3G and Future 4G LTE with Verizon Wireless. Anything beats Extended 1X Data. Guess WiFi is my only option for now.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GN2/GN 10.1
    I currently pay $60.98 for 450 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data with Verizon
    I would [edited for inappropriate content] to get that deal. Not hard.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 07-31-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links