DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Disable Cellular radio but keep Data Connection?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1 A855
    I would like to disable the cellular/data part all together and just have wireless. My wife lost her phone a while back (left he whole purse on top of the car and drove off) so we filed an insurance claim and replaced the phone. 3 weeks later the state was mowing the bar ditches, and found and returned the purse. The phone had fog in it so I took it apart to dry it out. Water poured out so I wrote it off. My son put it together a few days later and surprisingly it worked, exept the cellular radio is flakey. I want to disable it all together and let him use it like an iPod touch. A Rezound with its Beats Audio would work great for this. I just want to disable the cell radio all together so the notices quit popping up. I dont mind rooting it as it will never work on a cell network again.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by clifford427 View Post
    I would like to disable the cellular/data part all together and just have wireless. My wife lost her phone a while back (left he whole purse on top of the car and drove off) so we filed an insurance claim and replaced the phone. 3 weeks later the state was mowing the bar ditches, and found and returned the purse. The phone had fog in it so I took it apart to dry it out. Water poured out so I wrote it off. My son put it together a few days later and surprisingly it worked, exept the cellular radio is flakey. I want to disable it all together and let him use it like an iPod touch. A Rezound with its Beats Audio would work great for this. I just want to disable the cell radio all together so the notices quit popping up. I dont mind rooting it as it will never work on a cell network again.
    You can root if you want, but it isn't necessary to accomplish this.

Enable airplane mode, which will disable all radios. I think airplane mode toggle is on the power menu by default (long press power button), if not Settings > more... > Airplane mode Once airplane mode is turned on, turn on wifi.
    kinfolk248 likes this.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Couldnt this person just remove the sim card or replace it with a blank new one and the problem is solved?

that way it would never make a cellular connection as there is no sim card or a inactive that is not authorized but still could enable wi-fi after bypassing the activation screen.
    Never Samsung... Never Again

Burned by the VZW Galaxy Nexus
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid x
    Quote Originally Posted by linkinparkz0 View Post
    Typo in Thread name i know....

I am currently using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but it's so expensive to keep up with the 100 dollar payment each month as a college student so I decided to take the plunge into Google Voice.

However, i would like a fail safe before switching, some way to disable my cellular network so i can't receive calls or texts, but still get 3G and 4G LTE because i need it when im not around WiFi for Google Voice.

I saw a couple posts about it, one referring to which connections i allow, being LTE, CDMA, and EvDo. I was told to just choose EvDo, but that option isn't there on my phone, I was wondering if there was any work around or something.

Might also be important to say that I plan on having two separate numbers just so i can keep my carrier Verizon for the mobile network, i could care less for the cellular network.

I keep trying to use this thing where you dial *#*#4636#*#* and change the preferred network to EvDo only but I am still getting cellular radio and data. I dont know if i am doing something wrong but I can't seem to do anything about it no matter what network i choose

Anything at all would help. Thanks!

You can do this and take my word for, what you do is go ahead and activate your sim in a 4g lte verizon tablet (go buy one from somewhere there is no restocking fee aka not a corp vz store) do not have it attached to a plan, tell them you want it for wifi but might use it on a plan down the road. Go ahead, stick your sim into the tablet, call up customer service say you are transfering your phone number mdn to a tablet and want to activate on the new share everything data only plan For Data-Only Devices - Your Guide by Verizon Wireless at that point $40 gets you 4gb data. Ask the rep to make sure text block and voice block are inplace and then end the call

From this point go ahead and put the sim back into your phone, voice and text will be blocked but you'll have just a data only device.

Any how do I know this works? I've done it. Plus i work there ^_^

then of course return your tablet purchase you can thank the fcc for the 700mhz spectrum rules
    drew96dawg likes this.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    The Play Store has a free app called Network. Install it, open, scroll down, tap turn off radio. You'll have to do it each time you reboot your phone

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus!!
    What if you cancel the phone plan, and purchase a wi-fi hotspot. The phone will be able to be used on wi-fi, and it should be cheaper than a phone plan.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1 A855

Thanks but no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol View Post
    You can root if you want, but it isn't necessary to accomplish this.

Enable airplane mode, which will disable all radios. I think airplane mode toggle is on the power menu by default (long press power button), if not Settings > more... > Airplane mode Once airplane mode is turned on, turn on wifi.
    In this case Airplane mode will not work for me because I want to be able to use the WiFi part still. And as far as the sim card goes if I remove it it gives some annoying background about inserting a sim card. I am just going to run with it as is and hope big red just blocks the IEMI number.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus

Re: Disable Cellular radio but keep Data Connection?

Quote Originally Posted by clifford427 View Post
    In this case Airplane mode will not work for me because I want to be able to use the WiFi part still. And as far as the sim card goes if I remove it it gives some annoying background about inserting a sim card. I am just going to run with it as is and hope big red just blocks the IEMI number.
    Turn WiFi on after enabling airplane mode. The cellular radio stays disabled and you can use WiFi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    kinfolk248 likes this.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2

Re: Disable Cellular radio but keep Data Connection?

This thread has some helpful posts will someone sticky it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    kinfolk248 likes this.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    Turn WiFi on after enabling airplane mode. The cellular radio stays disabled and you can use WiFi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    this was/is ingenius!!!!! This is exactly what i was looking for, a way to turn off cell radio but still have some type of data (wifi)... THANKSSSSS!!!!!!

no i can still use the phone and not be bothered with calls/texts...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links