DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cupfulloflol

Thread: Verizon 4G is terrible

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Verizon 4G is terrible

My Nexus is downloading at 3 mbp while in 4G. It says I have full bars pretty much all day long. So I'm just wondering is this a Verizon issue or my ROM? I'm running Razors Jelly 2.6.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by iWordplay View Post
    My Nexus is downloading at 3 mbp while in 4G. It says I have full bars pretty much all day long. So I'm just wondering is this a Verizon issue or my ROM? I'm running Razors Jelly 2.6.
    Full bars doesn't guarantee fast speeds. There are tons of variables that come into play with internet connectivity, signal strength is just one of the many. It could be a Verizon issue definitely. It could be congestion on the network/tower in your area. It could be a problem with the host you are connecting to for downloads/speed tests, or a bad hop between you and that host. Among a list of many other things.

Your custom ROM should have little, if anything to do with your download speeds.

Side note, I don't trust the speeds that the speedtest app in the market gives if you are using that. I have been able to get better, and what I consider more accurate, results using a different options. Speakeasy's website offering isn't bad. Another option, which I do on my desktop quite often, is to download a Linux distro via torrent (which is doable on a phone). Note that with the torrent you may have to give it a few minutes to connect to seeders and get up to speed, so if you aren't on unlimited this may not be a good idea. But theoretically if you are on a well seeded distro, you would take the host issues out of the picture.
    dezymond likes this.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol

Full bars doesn't guarantee fast speeds. There are tons of variables that come into play with internet connectivity, signal strength is just one of the many. It could be a Verizon issue definitely. It could be congestion on the network/tower in your area. It could be a problem with the host you are connecting to for downloads/speed tests, or a bad hop between you and that host. Among a list of many other things.

Your custom ROM should have little, if anything to do with your download speeds.

Side note, I don't trust the speeds that the speedtest app in the market gives if you are using that. I have been able to get better, and what I consider more accurate, results using a different options. Speakeasy's website offering isn't bad. Another option, which I do on my desktop quite often, is to download a Linux distro via torrent (which is doable on a phone). Note that with the torrent you may have to give it a few minutes to connect to seeders and get up to speed, so if you aren't on unlimited this may not be a good idea. But theoretically if you are on a well seeded distro, you would take the host issues out of the picture.
    This.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  4. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Excellent answer by Cup.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    How about dslreports.com. They have speed tests there and all the computations are done there as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Links