DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first impressions of 4.0.4

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

My first impressions of 4.0.4

First off, I waited for the OTA. After rooting/romming the heck out of my previous phones (OG Droid and Droid X) I decided to let this one sit stock until the OTA dropped. It was a tough wait. Mainly I was tired of having to go back to stock to get the phone ready for an OTA. Easy, but tedious.

My number one issue with my Nexus was the 3g/4g hand off. I live on the fringe of 4g coverage and I work in the heart of it. With 4g enabled, my phone throughout the course of the day would spend 15-20+ % of the time without a signal. When it lost a signal it would take up to 3 minutes to get one back. If I disabled 4g, I would go all day with 0-3% of the time with no signal. Fine it works, but I paid for 4g.

Also, my #2 problem was battery heat and drain. I assume, could be wrong, that with my phone running so hot it prematurely drained the battery. This seemed to be caused by the hand off issue of 3g/4g, and the Android OS, which over the course of the day would always end up #1 in the battery drain. Regularly my phone would "idle" in the high 80's low 90's. If I was streaming iHeartRadio and surfing the web it would regularly get to 100-105.

Both of these issues seem fixed for me.

I fully charged and then fully discharged the battery first. The first full charge lasted 15 hours with minimal to moderate useage. That is with 4g enabled, and that whole time, 15 hours, I had 1-2% without a signal.

All day yesterday, initial charge, and today, second full charge my battery has yet to hit 90 degrees. It is idling in the high 70's and working in the mid 80's. Right now, I'm 6 hours into today's charge. I am at 54% battery left. #1 usage is the screen at 45%, #2 is phone idle at 18%, #3 is cell standby at 15% (0% w/o a signal 4g enabled all day), #4 is Android OS at 5%, tied with Mediaserver at 5%.

That's the top 1 or 2 things I've noticed. Huge improvement in 3g/4g, battery temp and life.

What have you guys seen?
    Last edited by Fightnfire; 06-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I've had the 4.0.4 for about 3 days now and the No Data problem still here.... It's Verizon's fault. LTE and CDMA does not work. My friend has AT&T galaxy skyrocket LTE and has no problem because they use GSM... I might switch
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I just installed the update today. I'm noticing less drain from the Android OS than before. Right now battery has been on 4h 52s and I'm at 42% (screen has been on for 1h 7m). I expect my screen on time to comparable or slightly more since the OS isn't draining as much. The 4G/3G handoff seems better so far, but I will be able to tell tonight as we have to drive somewhere along I-5 where you are in and out of 4G the whole time. There's a very good 4G connection where we are going but I usually have to turn off data and back on to get the phone to switch from 3G to 4G after the drive.

Screen rotation is a bit quicker, but that didn't bother me before. Landscape keyboard works much better now, which always annoyed me. I haven't used the camera yet to see if those changes helped anything.

My biggest issues were the OS's battery drain and the 4G/3G handoff issue. Seems like those are fixed so far, so far I'm happy.
    Galaxy S3 and Xoom (time for a new Tablet soon!)
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I did have to do a full drain and charge before I really noticed a battery difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    My data is fantastic now *knock on wood* no drops and it handles the 3g 4g hand off seamlessly.
    we will drive after a couple beers an NOT make a federal case out of it

Current Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (Stock Locked Bootloader Android 4.3 Jellybean)
    Retired Phone: Original Droid (Rooted and RunningCyanogenmod 7)
    Galaxy Nexus (Rooted and Rommed running JBSorcery 4.3 with Trinity Kernel)
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 305rev305 View Post
    I've had the 4.0.4 for about 3 days now and the No Data problem still here.... It's Verizon's fault. LTE and CDMA does not work. My friend has AT&T galaxy skyrocket LTE and has no problem because they use GSM... I might switch
    You sure its vzw fault; go to a vzw store and see if a rezound or razr is having the same problem. I can personally speak to the rezound not having those issues at all.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    You sure its vzw fault; go to a vzw store and see if a rezound or razr is having the same problem. I can personally speak to the rezound not having those issues at all.
    Actually you're right... The thunderbolt I had after their updates worked perfectly. I think HTC perfected this problem. But the RAZR does have this problem cause my wife has it and it does the same thing maybe a bit less... Too bad Verizon will no get the One X from HTC...
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Moto X 32GB
    Has the low volume issue (eg volume for video play) been taken care of in this update?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate i500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Knight
    Has the low volume issue (eg volume for video play) been taken care of in this update?
    Nope. I had volume+ before the update, which worked very well. I updated and removed it, but after about one day it's back.
    Wolfman4u
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Moto X 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman4u View Post
    Nope. I had volume+ before the update, which worked very well. I updated and removed it, but after about one day it's back.
    Just got the update just over 2 hours ago. I also use volume+. I disabled it after the update. Sorry to say I had to enable it again. No volume fix this time around...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links