DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How can I use this overseas?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG, Bionic, Rezound, GNex

How can I use this overseas?

Sooo I am going to Israel in a couple weeks and want to use a crutch I call my phone. Not a crutch really, but lately when I travel, having internet and GPS on my phone has made a world of difference. I went to Panama a couple years back with my Blackberry Storm and before Verizon starting raping people on international data. Basically I know I can't use minutes (unless I want to pay $2 a second). I have groove IP for calling on VOIP if need to. I would love to be able to use data and/ or gps if I could. Any clue on what I can do? Thanks!!

Randy
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Phone
    Verizon™ Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    I believe VZW offers decently priced international data packages. Otherwise the cdma gnex can't be used overseas, only the GSM variant.
  3. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    I believe that Israel is one of the few countries where CDMA is widely used. According to Verizon's global section of their website, voice and data should work in Israel via international roaming. You won't be able to use LTE, just 3G. But you're going to pay an outrageous amount for data according to their Global Data page. So, unless you want to pay Verizon's fees for global roaming, you won't be able to use any type of cellular connection on the Galaxy Nexus while in Israel. There's really no other option for a CDMA phone, particularly if you're just traveling. If you have offline maps stored on your phone, GPS will work just fine without any type of cellular connection. I used GPS all the time while I was in Albania while keeping the phone in airplane mode.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus - Stock
    You can put the phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi and use a local wifi in your hotel or in a cafe/McDonald's (lol). You could use email and the browser to communicate. You can sent text messages via email for quick communicating using the formats here for different carriors:

http://20somethingfinance.com/how-to...mail-for-free/

To view requirements and cost for using the phone during International travel use the following website:

http://businessportals.verizonwirele..._to/index.html

Using the phones 3g/4g Data will be cost prohibited but there are plans for that on the above Verizonwirewireless website. Happy traveling. I have a saying that I use: I have been to Ohio...... lol

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    If you need to make calls, use Tango. The person on the other end will have to have Tango as well.

Once installed, turn airplane mode on, then turn wifi on and make sure you're connected, then make your call via Tango, completely free.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    shoot i couldnt even get data in puerto rico. i was royally pissed... then i got drunk for 5 days
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Rooted
    Stock ICS
    No SetCPU
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jerroedr View Post
    shoot i couldnt even get data in puerto rico. i was royally pissed... then i got drunk for 5 days
    +1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    I believe that Israel is one of the few countries where CDMA is widely used. According to Verizon's global section of their website, voice and data should work in Israel via international roaming. You won't be able to use LTE, just 3G. But you're going to pay an outrageous amount for data according to their Global Data page. So, unless you want to pay Verizon's fees for global roaming, you won't be able to use any type of cellular connection on the Galaxy Nexus while in Israel. There's really no other option for a CDMA phone, particularly if you're just traveling. If you have offline maps stored on your phone, GPS will work just fine without any type of cellular connection. I used GPS all the time while I was in Albania while keeping the phone in airplane mode.
    Hmmm I'm going to Albania this summer (cause I'm from there) and was going to open a topic for questions myself. How did you store it offline?

You're not Albanian are you
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG, Bionic, Rezound, GNex
    Yeah I too would love to know how to get maps off line. This was a problem for me when I was in PR also
  10. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    Hmmm I'm going to Albania this summer (cause I'm from there) and was going to open a topic for questions myself. How did you store it offline?

You're not Albanian are you
    There are different map and GPS apps that allow you to store offline maps. Some have options to download through the app, others let you use maps that you find online. Some are free, others make you pay for things. At the moment, I can't recall exactly which apps I was using for everything. I started switching around to different custom ROMs after I returned, wiping everything as I went. I'll try to look around and find out what I used. They weren't incredibly detailed, but they were good enough to walk around town with and get to where I was going.

No, I'm not Albanian. I was over there doing some work for my PhD program with a university in Tirana.

Links