DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Multiple Issues Concerning Root

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Multiple Issues Concerning Root

Just got my Galaxy Nexus for Verizon today. Was excited as can be, because I'm coming from the OG Droid, and up until Froyo I was very active with modding it. I had hoped to relive those great experiences.

That however hasn't been the case at all. I've run into multiple issues, to that point that I don't really know what to do.

What I'm experiencing now, is a failure of Rom Manager/Clockwork Mod Recovery I guess. After getting my barrings with stock 4.0.2, I went through the task of unlocking/rooting my phone. Had some minor driver issues causing me to use a round-about way of accomplishing it, but I got it done, SU, unlock symbol, etc is present.

Next, I flashed to the leaked stock 4.0.4 ROM with no issues at all. Here's where the problems really started. My Google account was bugged or whatever, and nothing from the Market was downloading, returning only the "Cannot download X, there was an error." Fixed that with some Googling and seeing it was just an error with the account sync. Prior to fixing this, I had attempted to reboot back into Clockwork Mod Recovery, however, it went to the stock recovery for some reason, even though I flashed CMR and had used it to flash to 4.0.4. I was confused, so I made it my priority to get Rom Manager and CMR back onto my phone once the Market was fixed. Its downloaded and installed fine, multiple times at that.. Yet, I'm met with force closes anytime I attempt to flash CMR back, or attempt to do anything else from within Rom Manager (backups, fix permissions, etc). I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times, with no change.

I'm really quite frustrated at this point. At no point did I experience anything like this with my OG Droid, and the fact that I've hit such problems on day one of my having the Gnex is really... disheartening.

I've stored restore files back onto the phone and attempted to get to them from the stock recovery but I'm not seeing anything, other than /cache and such, and there's nothing in any of those.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. I just want to root this thing, stick GummyNex 0.7.6 on it, and leave it. Or hell, at this point, I'd rather just leave it stock. All of this has turned out to be more trouble than its worth, and I'm really just fed up with it. I unboxed it today thinking it'd be so easy to change things, to enjoy the experience. Instead, I'm sitting here fumbling with it, contemplating spiking it into the ground (not really..but...).

3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    @atreyu381
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    I will try to dig it up but no guarantees. There was a small process you had to go through to make cwm the permanent recovery after you installed it. You had to use root explorer and delete and add a line. Again I will try to find it for ya but I can't guarantee I can

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Malithar likes this.
  4. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    @atreyu381
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/15...overy-verizon/

Ha OK, the very last paragraph; did you do this step? Sorry easier to find than I thought
    Malithar likes this.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I did not. Didn't see that step listed anywhere else that I saw rooting/flashing directions. Then again, I suppose I didn't search overly much due to feeling confident from the OG Droid. Slight question about that last step though. It mentions a file named /system/reboot-from-recovery.p while the only thing I'm seeing is /system/recovery-from-boot.p. Just copying it elsewhere, just in case, but I'm guessing that must be the file.

Thank you so much for the help Atreyu (good band btw). I'll post back should I encounter any other issues, such as the force closes in Rom Manager resurfacing (hopefully those were just from CMR not being permanently set).
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    @atreyu381
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    No problem man, I'm trying to help as many as possible and get my name out(not as a bad ass band) so I can hopefully become a moderator. Please let me know if this helps. The gnexus is the og droid w a better screen when ya get through the few forks in the road:-)

Malithar likes this.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    That's what I was envisioning it as. So, I've hit another of those forks in the road that you spoke of, and it explains (to a degree) most of what I've been experiencing. Got Root Explorer up and going, but R/W mode wasn't toggling on, so I couldn't delete the file in the end. Got to checking my Superuser app, and checked to see if it was up to date. Everything passed its checks, except for two things. Busybox failed its check, and at the end when it attempted to aquire root access, it failed. So I'm thinking that its didn't quite get into root earlier. I attempted to follow the directions in the post you linked, but I'm hung up on the part where it says to run "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img." That's returning..

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

Going to be Googling solutions to this, but any direction you can give would be awesome.

And you've definitely got my vote for a mod. I love my Androids, but I could never imagine giving help from a handset. ;P
  8. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    @atreyu381
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    So how far have you gotten in the process? When you boot your phone, is the lock at the bottom of the Google boot logo locked or unlocked? You may just have lost root and could find the su.apk to flash, or could be you just need a busy box installer from the market. I'm going out on a limb because I have not dealt with this issue but that's kinda what it sounds like.

9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    And.... got it. SHOULD be good from here. XD

Prior to these issues and during them, I've had SU permissions in the app tray, and the unlocked symbol below Google during the boot process. Why it wasn't quite working, I dunno. But, got CMR on the screen right now, so that's a success in my eyes. ;P Going to get Gummy loaded up and hope this headache is at its end.
    Last edited by Malithar; 02-27-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Adding reply
  10. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    @atreyu381
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    And.... got it. SHOULD be good from here. XD
    Oh don't be like that!!! Lol, what was it? Was I right, or way off?

11. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    @atreyu381
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Lol OK your edit finally came through, so I was very close then. That's good, thought maybe I should surf a different thread lol. Good buddy, and i will voice my opinion but you should at least give tranquil ice a flash, w my theme of course;-).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links