DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waze Navigation

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    My friends have it on their iPhone. From what I've seen that thing is terrible. It always gives bad directions. The interface is terrible. I wouldn't switch from Google maps. Google maps is nearly perfect.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    My friends have it on their iPhone. From what I've seen that thing is terrible. It always gives bad directions. The interface is terrible. I wouldn't switch from Google maps. Google maps is nearly perfect.
    That's what I am concerned about... Google Navigation works really well. Waze does have some interesting features. And Google Navigation can get wonky at times with it's routing but overall Google Navigation works great!
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by captdroid View Post
    That's what I am concerned about... Google Navigation works really well. Waze does have some interesting features. And Google Navigation can get wonky at times with it's routing but overall Google Navigation works great!
    Navigation on Google reroutes right away. My friends waze couldn't recognize that he was driving on the service road as opposed to the highway. It just has a lot of glitches. And they tried to make it nice and 3d like but its just poorly done in my opinion. If I had to rate the two, I'd give Google maps a 8.5/10 and waze a 4/10.
  4. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    Navigation on Google reroutes right away. My friends waze couldn't recognize that he was driving on the service road as opposed to the highway. It just has a lot of glitches. And they tried to make it nice and 3d like but its just poorly done in my opinion. If I had to rate the two, I'd give Google maps a 8.5/10 and waze a 4/10.
    So you've tried 3.0 on Android then? Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect and still needs some work, but the traffic updates and auto re-route are invaluable if you commute in a metro area like me.
    Last edited by sbenson; 02-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    Yes the list of directions like in Google Navigation... where is that?
    I know it did before the update. I'll check on the way home and get back to you. I'd be shocked if they removed that feature.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by sbenson View Post
    So you've tried 3.0 on Android then? Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect and still needs some work, but the traffic updates and auto re-route are invaluable if you commute in a metro area like me.
    I live in NY lol no more metro than that. The new maps is awesome. Like I said to me its nearly perfect. And traffic is pinpoint
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Well, I played with it while driving around town today for lunch and a few errands. It worked flawlessly for me. It's routes were good and it re-routed with ease. I loved getting the pop-ups about accidents and slow traffic. I really, really like the interface. This is going to be my "daily driver".

And BTW even in Baton Rouge there seemed to 15-20 users on the road at any one time. I imagine that number will just continue to get larger and larger.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  8. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    Well, I played with it while driving around town today for lunch and a few errands. It worked flawlessly for me. It's routes were good and it re-routed with ease. I loved getting the pop-ups about accidents and slow traffic. I really, really like the interface. This is going to be my "daily driver".

And BTW even in Baton Rouge there seemed to 15-20 users on the road at any one time. I imagine that number will just continue to get larger and larger.
    Were you using this on your G-Nex? Landscape mode doesn't work for me. That's the only serious bug I've found, everything else is flawless. As far as functions, they need to add an option to avoid tolls.

To Captain: It appears they removed the direction list. Maybe their reasoning was since they re-route you automatically based of traffic conditions, the directions list would be a bit redundant? I dunno? Honestly, I would have preferred they left this in...
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Still loving this app. In fact my wife put it on her Bionic too. I forced it to recalculate our route and it did a great job. This may become my Daily Driver.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Baton Rouge, LA
  10. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    Any way to get driving directions in Waze for the Navigated to location? I like being able to see the turn by turn at times.
    I read on their website that there's a list of features from the old app that they're going to bring back in a future update. The directions list is one of them.

In all honesty, after using 3.0 for a full week now, I have to say I think they rushed this. After being very high on it, it now feels half baked to me. Just too buggy and unstable at this time.

Issues I'm having (keep in mind, some of these could be issues with the G-Nex only):
    • Landscape mode doesn't work - screen rotates but the right half of the screen is black; this eventually causes the app to crash.
    • If navigating a route and you check for alternative routes, it cancels the route you're currently on.
    • Every couple uses, the app will not close completely without going into apps and performing a force stop.
    • Route preference learning hasn't worked so far; the app knows when I'm going to and from work and suggests a route, but it still hasn't learned my preferences yet.
    • Location tracking seems to be less accurate than Google Maps. More often than I'd like, Waze thinks I'm on a parallel road to the one I'm actually on. Google Maps rarely does this.
    • Voices prompts are far too late; turn directions are spoken way too late.
    • Some of the routes that get suggested are routes than cannot be driven. I know this will improve with time, but as-is, it's super annoying not to know if you can trust the re-routing or not.
    Things that work really well:
    • Automatic routes: When I get in the car in the morning, Waze asks me if I'm going to work, then proceeds to show me the fastest route. It does the same for the way home.
    • Traffic reporting is the best I've seen in any Nav app. Far more accurate that Google Maps loose estimates. Waze is literally reports in real time as it gathers data.
    • Speed trap and hazard reporting is awesome. Same as above, this is reported in real time. I've already been saved from a couple speed traps and traffic cameras.
    • Presentation is leaps and bounds better than the previous version. It's catching up to Google Maps, but not quite there in terms of polish.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links