DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The Galaxy Nexus' Battery Killer: Phone calls.

  1. Senior Droid
    revelated's Avatar
    Member #
    184389
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    27 times
    Twitter
    TemptingReviews
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    #1

    The Galaxy Nexus' Battery Killer: Phone calls.

    I've been using this device for over a week...and I am noticing a very disturbing trend.

    I know a lot has been made about the battery. And what's weird is that for the purposes of data, it's not *too* bad. But take or make phone calls and all of a sudden you're in the drink. I also notice periods without a signal in the stats, which is something I haven't had an issue with on the RAZR. It makes me wonder if the 4G radio is no less efficient than other devices but the actual phone radio is the battery hog here.

    To put it in perspective, I took a 30 minute call on the Nexus. Battery dropped by 25%. It took a 2 hour conference call on the RAZR to experience the same battery drop.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    comk4ver's Avatar
    Member #
    94035
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    605
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Moto X... The Game?
    #2
    Did you have the same apps on the phone? If not then it's not a fair comparison, also what's the battery size or mah on both batteries my point is that you can't compare one gallon of water to an eight once bottle of water because even if you have the same battery size but different settings and or apps then it's not an accurate test. Have you rooted your phone? Many users find that rooting increases their battery life.

    Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  4. Senior Droid
    orion2001's Avatar
    Member #
    40485
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    124
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by revelated View Post
    I've been using this device for over a week...and I am noticing a very disturbing trend.

    I know a lot has been made about the battery. And what's weird is that for the purposes of data, it's not *too* bad. But take or make phone calls and all of a sudden you're in the drink. I also notice periods without a signal in the stats, which is something I haven't had an issue with on the RAZR. It makes me wonder if the 4G radio is no less efficient than other devices but the actual phone radio is the battery hog here.

    To put it in perspective, I took a 30 minute call on the Nexus. Battery dropped by 25%. It took a 2 hour conference call on the RAZR to experience the same battery drop.
    That is not representative of normal GN operation. I was testing this out over the weekend and I ended up making a 31 minute call on my GN and I was surprised to note pretty low drain on my battery when I was done. I don't remember the exact number, but it was in the single digits. And I only get 1-2 bars of signal at home.

    I think there is something else that is not playing along well with your phone.
  5. Master Droid
    Htown315's Avatar
    Member #
    205095
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Posts
    458
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    OG -> D2 -> Gnex
    #4
    Phone calls is also my phones kryptonite, although not as bad as OP. My phone gets stellar battery life EXCEPT voice calls. I lose around 13% an hour. I really hope they can fix this as it should be closer to 8%(with all toggles off of course).
  6. Senior Droid
    revelated's Avatar
    Member #
    184389
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    27 times
    Twitter
    TemptingReviews
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by comk4ver View Post
    Did you have the same apps on the phone? If not then it's not a fair comparison, also what's the battery size or mah on both batteries my point is that you can't compare one gallon of water to an eight once bottle of water because even if you have the same battery size but different settings and or apps then it's not an accurate test. Have you rooted your phone? Many users find that rooting increases their battery life.

    Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Same apps due to Google backup and restore. Neither phone is rooted; should not need to root to be able to take a call.

    Also there is literally nothing running on the Nexus. And it's connected via my home wireless more often than not. Again, in terms of data only, the phone is fine on battery. Phone calls bring it to its proverbial knees.



    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  7. Master Droid
    Nealius's Avatar
    Member #
    84232
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    363
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    #6
    wait wut? you guys make phone calls? no wonder you have crappy battery life. I just uninstalled updates and disabled the phone app!!

    ok a bit more serious. I have noticed the same, but not as bad as described. I thought it was due to me yelling at my Ex tho. Louder yelling = more battery power needed. 30 min call might be 10%
  8. Master Droid
    prowler85's Avatar
    Member #
    42955
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    497
    Liked
    76 times
    Phone
    D1>DX>Bionic>NEXUS!!
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
    wait wut? you guys make phone calls? no wonder you have crappy battery life. I just uninstalled updates and disabled the phone app!!

    ok a bit more serious. I have noticed the same, but not as bad as described. I thought it was due to me yelling at my Ex tho. Louder yelling = more battery power needed. 30 min call might be 10%
    I believe mine is also in the 10% per hour range. Which equates to about a 5 hour talk time. Which I also believe is about as advertised. So it sounds like the op has something else going on. Of course mine is rooted with custom ROM, so it's not a valid comparison, but that could be the "something else going on" - such as an older radio. Possibly could be fixed by updating radio or waiting until 4.0.3 comes out officially (which should be in a few weeks).


    Rockin 4g on my Nexus - FINALLY!
  9. Droid Sensei
    jroc's Avatar
    Member #
    56815
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    3,855
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by revelated View Post
    I've been using this device for over a week...and I am noticing a very disturbing trend.

    I know a lot has been made about the battery. And what's weird is that for the purposes of data, it's not *too* bad. But take or make phone calls and all of a sudden you're in the drink. I also notice periods without a signal in the stats, which is something I haven't had an issue with on the RAZR. It makes me wonder if the 4G radio is no less efficient than other devices but the actual phone radio is the battery hog here.

    To put it in perspective, I took a 30 minute call on the Nexus. Battery dropped by 25%. It took a 2 hour conference call on the RAZR to experience the same battery drop.
    Anandtech brought this to light in the G Nex review:

    AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy Nexus & Ice Cream Sandwich Review

    Look at the talk time battery life....This is why when I posted in a battery thread recently on here..I asked the guy to add phone calls in to see how his battery does. Radio updates could make it better. When ever I get a chance to do personal battery life tests...I try to use my phone(s) like I normally would but longer for things. Calls being one. I dont add in GPS cuz I dont use it as often and you are more than likely in a car with a car charger.

    Anytime I see a battery life thread or post and calls is near the bottom in screen shots...I kinda skip over it. It doesnt really impress me.
    Last edited by jroc; 01-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

    MLK, Jr.
  10. Senior Droid
    revelated's Avatar
    Member #
    184389
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    27 times
    Twitter
    TemptingReviews
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    #9
    To extend this test, I sat on the phone for an hour on the RAZR, screen full bright, GPS, Bluetooth (was in my car) and the battery went down maybe 10%.

    Played a game yesterday on the Nexus, screen full bright, for 1 hour, battery went down maybe 10%. Did a 20 minute call and all of a sudden it's taking a dive of 15%.
  11. Droid Ninja
    jaycemiskel's Avatar
    Member #
    74156
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,382
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #10
    Are you guys running the leaked radio? My battery is pretty good on voice calls. I don't make calls often but when I do it holds up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy Nexus Extended battery 50% off from VZW :)
    By leprophotography in forum Galaxy Nexus Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM
  3. [THEME] DA SWYPES v5 Orange Killer!!! Galaxy Nexus support 1/2/12
    By djdarkknight96 in forum Android Themes
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 06:23 AM
  4. Great Battery on Galaxy Nexus!!!!!
    By alucard9114 in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
  5. Galaxy Nexus = Phone. Nexus Prime = Dock?
    By Briankbl in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Search tags for this page

app killer for samsung nexus

,
battery drain voice calls galaxy nexus
,

battery tips for galaxy nexus

,

compare galaxy nexus to razr

,

galaxy nexus app killer

,

galaxy nexus battery

,

galaxy nexus battery tips

,

galaxy nexus killer

,
galaxy nexus losing battery on charger
,
galaxy nexus voice call battery
,

galaxy nexus voice calls battery

,

galaxy voice call battery issue

,

how to make conference call on galaxy nexus

,
nexus galaxy conserve battery voice calls
,
voice calls battery nexus
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+