DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Nexus makes high pitched "screeching" noises during some phone calls

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    D1, D2, DX,TBolt, Galaxy Nexus

My Nexus makes high pitched "screeching" noises during some phone calls

It is very irritating that my phone makes high pitch screeching noises sometimes while on calls.

I don't think the person on the other end can hear anything because they have never mentioned it. The noise is terrible and I sure would like to get rid of it.

I am also told at times that my sound quality is erratic at times.

Where are these darn quick updates?

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen View Post
    It is very irritating that my phone makes high pitch screeching noises sometimes while on calls.

I don't think the person on the other end can hear anything because they have never mentioned it. The noise is terrible and I sure would like to get rid of it.

I am also told at times that my sound quality is erratic at times.

Where are these darn quick updates?
    First thing to try:

Factory Data Reset

Concerning Factory Data Resets on the Gnex: If you do this through the menu in Settings or if you boot into the stock recovery and select it, EVERYTHING on your sdcard will be erased. You must backup any files on the sdcard that you want to keep. There are apps in the market that will do this for you and store the info in a safe place: SMS Backup & Restore; MyBackup Pro, etc. You can also just copy your pictures, music, etc. to your computer but that will not backup your test messages and SMS.

Factory Data Resets have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. 4. Open the Market app and accept the market terms. 5. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 6. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, it's time to contact Verizon. IMHO

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Lol... thanks and of course I've done all that good stuff and also switch roms several times a week.

On other forums I have found many others having similar issues. The screech is not every time but it has happened maybe 10 times so far since day one. To me it seems like interference from something...I don't know.

I bet others will post that they have had the screech.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ok Im glad to read this because I had this happen to me for the first time yesterday, actually happened twice. The second time I was calling Verizon to activate my second GNex when it started. The Customer Service Rep had to call me back!

Mine sounded like a fax machine or a dial up modem.

What's up with this? is it hardware, software or network? I've been really patient with this phone, but now that I've got a second one and am having simialr reception issues as my first, I am about to give up on the G Nex.

BTW I am totally stock with all the standard apps necessary for the Gnex like volume +, etc.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I have had this happen also. Sounds like a screeching or fax machine / modem. Weird!
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ONE
    i've had this a couple times as well. it tends to happen when i'm on a call longer than 10 minutes or so. the first time it happened it was so loud i dropped the phone, luckily i was on carpet. i also get some intermittent 'popping' sounds on occasion, also when the call tends to be a little long. it comes through both the earbuds and the handset earpiece, and it's annoying as hell.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, X2, OG Droid
    Try turning off voice privacy in the voice settings under the dialer menu. Mine did it and I turned it off and crystal clear. Its an extra layer of encryption that I don't think is needed IMO.

Tapped from my fingers on my Nexus
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    This only happened to me when I was running stock ICS.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Try turning off voice privacy in the voice settings under the dialer menu. Mine did it and I turned it off and crystal clear. Its an extra layer of encryption that I don't think is needed IMO.

I'll give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gthotie5 View Post
    This only happened to me when I was running stock ICS.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums
    I have not been stock since day 3 of owning the phone.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post

I have had voice privacy turned off for quite some time now and this issue as described occurred.
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links