DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OCCASIONAL Very poor battery life. Why? Screenshots included.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

OCCASIONAL Very poor battery life. Why? Screenshots included.

So I usually get pretty decent battery life, as in it lasts me from morning until the evening, although it's just about out of juice by the time that I get home from work. For that reason, I picked up the extended battery last week for $25. It works great. I still have about 35% remaining when I get home now. But twice now I have had a situation where my battery drains extremely fast, as in 60%+ in just a couple of hours. And it happened today with the extended battery. I remember looking at my battery gauge in the mid-afternoon and thinking to myself how good the extended battery is working. It had around 60% IIRC. Fast forward to dinner time at a restaurant at about 5:30. I had not used the phone during the interim. But when I looked at it, it was down to 16%! And the phone was very warm to the touch. This is a very similar situation to what happened twice before. This time I decided to take some screen shots to see if anyone could help explain why this happened.

Other than seeing that Screen and Google Services is taking up most of my battery, I don't know how to make out what is causing this sporatic heavy battery usage. Can anyone help decipher this?

I'm also going to post on a few other forum sites as well for added exposure.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    if you dont use google+ then uninstall it (if your rooted). the problem is coming from google services.
    Droid 1

Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea500 View Post
    if you dont use google+ then uninstall it (if your rooted). the problem is coming from google services.
    I'm not rooted so cannot uninstall it. And I don't see an option to disable it either. But I confirmed that I am logged out of G+ and its not "running". I'm not confident that G+ is the culprit. Although it does appear to be the Google servers at issue here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  4. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Google Services doesn't even show up on mine. Android OS is taking up 40% though.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid2, Rooted, CM7
    Do you think your phone could be trying continuously to sync do to loss of connection? Can you sync over wifi only? I don't need to sync all the time.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
    Sent from my rooted, CM7 rommed, Droid 2, using Droid Forums app.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Could something be plowing through some data? Adjust your sliders in the data usage settings to show results for the day you had trouble. Check the mobile and wifi usage and see if anything turns up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5 and DROID MAXX
    How many Contacts do you have?
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    G-Nex (fon), OGD1(alarm clock)
    that keep awake time for your android OS looks mighty suspicious imho. i had a very similar problem, and turned off NFC, and checked into background data usage....

but the thing that seemed to tip things in my favor, is I uninstalled a bunch of programs that I had installed en masse (they had been OG D1 staples of mine) that I hadn't actually started to use yet. My assumption was that (at least) one of them was not yet optimized for ICS and was doing some funny stuff with android keep awake action. my battery went from 8-12 hours to 24+ with these changes. (now rooted, i can go 36 if I limit my battery burners (games, video, phone))
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Phone
    D1>DX>Bionic>NEXUS!!
    Actually, if you're not rooted, I think your problem is the issue with Android OS not shutting off (a known issue that was fixed in 4.0.3). Mine did the same thing and it baffled me, as some times it lasted and some times it just burned thru battery (couldn't figure out why it was varying). There's an issue in the early builds that when the phone is put to sleep by pressing the power button that the OS stays awake (something to do with the camera sensor). But if you let it time out and go to sleep then all was well. Which made sense as to why some times it lasted and some times it burned thru in no time.

If you're like me, you usually hit the power button to save that 30 seconds or so of screen time, but in this case it's what is causing the problem. I'd try for a few days to let the screen time out, and see if that solves it. If it does, you'll either have to root and install a 4.0.3 ROM, or just let it time out until 4.0.3 is released.

Rockin 4g on my Nexus - FINALLY!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Install Better Battery Stats and that might give you a better idea of what is causing wakelocks and preventing your phone from going into deep sleep mode. I find that app in conjunction with Battery Stats Widget and Cpu Spy to be very useful when trying to figure out what is causing unusual battery performance.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links