DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The REAL benefits of root at this point?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

The REAL benefits of root at this point?

So, I had the D1 and rooted it/rom'd it/flashed it/themed it over and over again. I bought the GNex on release date because I was really excited about the potential it had just like the D1 did back in the day. I tried the WUG approach and my phone was just not cooperating, can't unlock/root it. My question is this: What are the REAL, MAJOR benefits of rooting right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm SURE in the pretty near future there will be some real steps made in this endeavor, but right now, what are they?

Obviously wireless tethering and overclocking, although as far as I know, you can't really OC the GNex too much right now, heck I had the D1 up to 1.25 regularly. Theming I'm sure is something being done right now. Battery life extension tools may be something, but other than that, what's the BIG appeal right now?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Root applications, undervolting, ROMs, custom kernels, custom recovery for backups. The usual. The phone runs great out of the box, but who doesn't want to make something that's great better?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Changed the auto-brightness to eliminate the grainy screen, installed a LV kernel for better battery life, flashed the latest radios for better 4G to 3G, installed a 4G toggle, controls in the notification menu and the list could go on. But I guess the most important feature is the capability to make a backup of your system.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Look through the dev, roms, kernal, theme, and this thread and I think you will find out your answer.

Besides fully customized roms with completely different UI's (not sure why you'd want that since ICS is beautiful as is. And MIUI might actually have a rom out), there is a heck of a lot to be done to the phone after root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Twitter
    BlackBlizzNerd
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2/Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokiedabong View Post
    Changed the auto-brightness to eliminate the grainy screen, installed a LV kernel for better battery life, flashed the latest radios for better 4G to 3G, installed a 4G toggle, controls in the notification menu and the list could go on. But I guess the most important feature is the capability to make a backup of your system.
    How'd you get rid of the grainy screen? That would be awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using.. magic.
    II New Signature Finally! Made by Me II II Rooted Galaxy Nexus II
    II - AOKP AXIOM MORPHR - II
    II Want a signature like mine? Ask on Twtter! II

II Link to my work: http://tinypic.com/BenLand150 II
    Member #
    I download Bigxie's rom and find the battery life to be better and it has good mods, even though none are UI enhancements. As far as overclocking goes, you don't really need it. This rom has it included up to 1350 mhz but I'm fine at 1200.
  7. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Bionic, G Nex and T Prime
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Having a built in recovery because the phones unlocked is the biggest thing for me. If I screw something up I can just do a battery pull, hold the buttons and then select recovery mode.. fix issue an reboot.. no sweat.
    WHen the bootloaded is locked, like on my Bionic, you can have a custom recovery but it cant be "hardwired" in. Its an app. So while you can boot into it and change stuff, if you hose the phone you have to get the handy old RSD out and flash an fxz. Then reactivate and download your apps. Root the phone again and then install recovery and boot into it and install the backup.
    Choices always were a problem for you
    What you need is someone stong to guide you, like me.
    Trust In Me now don't you judge or question
    You are broken now but faith can heal you
    Just do everything I tell you to do
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by xkape View Post
    Having a built in recovery because the phones unlocked is the biggest thing for me. If I screw something up I can just do a battery pull, hold the buttons and then select recovery mode.. fix issue an reboot.. no sweat.
    WHen the bootloaded is locked, like on my Bionic, you can have a custom recovery but it cant be "hardwired" in. Its an app. So while you can boot into it and change stuff, if you hose the phone you have to get the handy old RSD out and flash an fxz. Then reactivate and download your apps. Root the phone again and then install recovery and boot into it and install the backup.
    Bleh, silly Moto! Dont miss that! My favorite root app is AdFree ad blocker. I forgot how much I liked the ad blocking during the short time my Nexus was not rooted!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    OG -> D2 -> Gnex
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    Bleh, silly Moto! Dont miss that! My favorite root app is AdFree ad blocker. I forgot how much I liked the ad blocking during the short time my Nexus was not rooted!
    Ad blocker is a MUST!!! I use Rom Toolbox it has an ad blocker in its arsenal
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by poooookah78 View Post
    So, I had the D1 and rooted it/rom'd it/flashed it/themed it over and over again. I bought the GNex on release date because I was really excited about the potential it had just like the D1 did back in the day. I tried the WUG approach and my phone was just not cooperating, can't unlock/root it. My question is this: What are the REAL, MAJOR benefits of rooting right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm SURE in the pretty near future there will be some real steps made in this endeavor, but right now, what are they?

Obviously wireless tethering and overclocking, although as far as I know, you can't really OC the GNex too much right now, heck I had the D1 up to 1.25 regularly. Theming I'm sure is something being done right now. Battery life extension tools may be something, but other than that, what's the BIG appeal right now?
    The 'real' benefits of rooting you really must decide for yourself. See my sig at least for apps I take advantage of root.
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links