DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Galaxy Nexus' true reception

  1. Senior Droid
    Artimis's Avatar
    Member #
    14507
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    207
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #11
    The amount of bars doesn't mean anything so you can't go by that. You need to check the actual signal strength under settings -> about phone -> status.

    I primarily keep my Gnex in 3G mode for battery life reasons...last night, I had my wife's Droid 3 in one hand and my GNex in the other.

    My wife's D3 was bouncing between -94 and -95 dbm's but showing full bars.

    My Gnex was showing a solid -93 dBm but only showing 2 bars.

    My Gnex was getting a better signal despite the fact the number of bars were less. The amount of bars shown based on signal strength is at the discretion of the manufacturer. Obviously, Moto's definition of excellent reception is different than Samsung's.

    So you can really gauge by simply looking at the number of bars.
    Liderc likes this.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Big Ry's Avatar
    Member #
    34627
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,309
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ex0rcist View Post
    Nah.. i was droping calls.. getting no network found messages.. while my bionic would pull 2100kbps... i was left no choice.
    Now that sounds like a problem. I certainly hope you tried a data wipe and/or exchange before you reverted back to the bionic, but either way those problems shouldnt be happening. I definitely have not experienced those issues, but I know some people have.
    HOKIE
  3. Master Droid
    hydro556's Avatar
    Member #
    11324
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    363
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    If the GNex uses a different method to calculate signal strength, the reading will be different...
    I will take a shot at reasonable discussion, which can be tough if you let feelings get involved where they dont belong.

    Denying the obvious does nothing to help those of us who wish to make the GNex as great a device as it can be.

    Not getting 3g service or 4g service in areas where older technology does well, is not indicative of a device with good reception. It is that simple. Instead of irrational denial of what appears to be a fairly widespread issue, how about we focus on getting Google and Samsung to address it.

    I love my GNex, but need the mfg's to address a few issues. Before Jan 15.

    ETA- I dont care if I show zero bars. I just want it to have phone and data service in all places (and hopefully more) that my previous device did.
    Last edited by hydro556; 01-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Big Ry's Avatar
    Member #
    34627
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,309
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro556 View Post
    I will take a shot at reasonable discussion, which can be tough if you let feelings get involved where they dont belong.

    Denying the obvious does nothing to help those of us who wish to make the GNex as great a device as it can be.

    Not getting 3g service or 4g service in areas where older technology does well, is not indicative of a device with good reception. It is that simple. Instead of irrational denial of what appears to be a fairly widespread issue, how about we focus on getting Google and Samsung to address it.

    I love my GNex, but need the mfg's to address a few issues. Before Jan 15.

    ETA- I dont care if I show zero bars. I just want it to have phone and data service in all places (and hopefully more) that my previous device did.
    Well, I didn't start this thread to argue with anyone. As I said, I know people have had problems. I'm not denying that anyone has. It was my understanding that the problem lies in the method Samsung uses to calculate signal strength, whereby nullifying any comparison to other devices. If this is the case, then there are numerous people who have returned a device based on a "false" reading. I was curious as to how many people actually TESTED their phones by using data and making calls in areas that would typically be troublesome with other devices. That was the entire point of this thread. I get better signal strength in those areas, so I can't get Samsung and Google to address an issue that I do not have.
    HOKIE
  5. Droid
    adr3nalin3's Avatar
    Member #
    91937
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    56
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus & OG Droid
    #15
    I just want to add that I usually sit at 1 bar of 4g (I usually don't get higher than -90 dbm), but I've hit 30mbps. I'll post a screenshot in a bit.
  6. Master Droid
    hydro556's Avatar
    Member #
    11324
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    363
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    Well, I didn't start this thread to argue with anyone. As I said, I know people have had problems. I'm not denying that anyone has. It was my understanding that the problem lies in the method Samsung uses to calculate signal strength, whereby nullifying any comparison to other devices. If this is the case, then there are numerous people who have returned a device based on a "false" reading. I was curious as to how many people actually TESTED their phones by using data and making calls in areas that would typically be troublesome with other devices. That was the entire point of this thread. I get better signal strength in those areas, so I can't get Samsung and Google to address an issue that I do not have.
    I understand what you are saying. And thanks, I dont want to argue either.

    I am just a little disappointed in a few aspects of what is an otherwise great phone. And I hope the issues are software related and can/will be promptly addressed in an OTA. Because I seriously want to keep this phone, and need to see a fix before the 15th.

    There is a ton of upside to this device, and while no device will ever be perfect, a comprehensive OTA, if possible, could make this device pretty damn close to perfection.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Big Ry's Avatar
    Member #
    34627
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,309
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by adr3nalin3 View Post
    I just want to add that I usually sit at 1 bar of 4g (I usually don't get higher than -90 dbm), but I've hit 30mbps. I'll post a screenshot in a bit.
    This reminds me, I've noticed that I get different reading with LTE turned off...CDMA only being the better reading obviously. So if the signal strength reading in the setting are actually the correct reading, I hope people are comparing 4G-to-4G or 3G-to-3G.
    HOKIE
  8. Droid Ninja
    Big Ry's Avatar
    Member #
    34627
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,309
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro556 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. And thanks, I dont want to argue either.

    I am just a little disappointed in a few aspects of what is an otherwise great phone. And I hope the issues are software related and can/will be promptly addressed in an OTA. Because I seriously want to keep this phone, and need to see a fix before the 15th.

    There is a ton of upside to this device, and while no device will ever be perfect, a comprehensive OTA, if possible, could make this device pretty damn close to perfection.
    Understandable. If I was having the same issues, I'd be pretty upset too. A $300 paperweight is...ridiculous. Unfortunately, I don't think any company would get a fix out before a return deadline. I don't see that happening, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.
    HOKIE
  9. Droid Ninja
    Liderc's Avatar
    Member #
    15713
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,265
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    This reminds me, I've noticed that I get different reading with LTE turned off...CDMA only being the better reading obviously. So if the signal strength reading in the setting are actually the correct reading, I hope people are comparing 4G-to-4G or 3G-to-3G.
    They aren't. The Nexus is the first phone to show an LTE signal dBm. That's been the whole point people are missing, that comparing one dBm to another is pointless because there hasn't been another phone that's showed the LTE signal yet.
    slider112 likes this.
  10. Master Droid
    hydro556's Avatar
    Member #
    11324
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    363
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    Understandable. If I was having the same issues, I'd be pretty upset too. A $300 paperweight is...ridiculous. Unfortunately, I don't think any company would get a fix out before a return deadline. I don't see that happening, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.
    I am hoping Google/Samsung will prove us wrong and address things very quickly, since this is a Nexus.

    Also, the phone, even as it is working now, is far more than a paperweight. It functions well in almost all regards. I can send/receive calls almost 100%, albeit with occasionally less quality than my DInc. Data is pretty good, if maybe not quite as consistent as calls.

    The other issue is the speaker. I really hope that can fix that, as I occasionally dont hear it ring and miss calls.

    Overall, I love the phone, and it is right on the edge of being legendary in my view. Just a couple issues, that are very important to me. And, yes, if it was a $99 device, I would be ashamed to nit pick a couple issues, even if they were significant to me. A flagship device must be held to the highest standards by all of us, in my opinion, if we hope to get good value.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Is the Galaxy Nexus a “True Nexus” When Attached to a Carrier?
    By Preach2k in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM
  2. I held and played with a Nexus Yesterday!! TRUE STORY!!
    By poooookah78 in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM
  3. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 08:32 AM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S2 - To good to be true!?!?
    By eperrine in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
  5. Fascinate Galaxy S Reception Issues?
    By TamiVroma in forum Samsung Fascinate
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Search tags for this page

galaxy nexus bad radio
,
galaxy nexus bad reception
,
galaxy nexus phone reception
,

galaxy nexus reception

,
galaxy nexus reception grey
,
galaxy nexus reception issue
,
galaxy nexus reception issues
,
galaxy reception updates
,
reception issue galaxy nexus
,
samsung galaxy nexus reception
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+