DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: English spanish input

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus Prime (Verizon)

English spanish input

HI there. I have been playing with my Nexus Prime for a few days now. It's a really a very good phone but I am having trouble with language input via the keybaord.

Specifically, I want to be able to not only enter words and special characters in Spanish (such as '') but also to have it spell check the words.

For example, in email I usually do English but at least once a day I have to either respond in Spanish or compose a new email in Spanish.

I figured out how to activate a Spanish keyboard (Settings, Language & Input, Android Keyboard, Input Languages, deselect Use System Language, and then select English and Spanish). This enables the English and Spanish keyboards, depending on which one I want to use.

However, I can't find a way to spell check Spanish. The only option I have found was in Settings, Language & Input, Spell Correction, Android correction, and that last option in itself only allows me to pick ONE selection (Use System Language, English, French,.....Spanish, etc.). This is rather annoying since I would then have to go back and rest to English.

I am also having the same problems in Facebook but that't probably an app issue.

I won't go back to my BlackBerry but that device had the ability to bring up a menu and select which language I wanted to use for both purposes of typing words and spell checking them in the languages I had activated.

Am I missing something or am I stuck?

Thanks everyone!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jfguerra View Post
    HI there. I have been playing with my Nexus Prime for a few days now. It's a really a very good phone but I am having trouble with language input via the keybaord.

Specifically, I want to be able to not only enter words and special characters in Spanish (such as '') but also to have it spell check the words.

For example, in email I usually do English but at least once a day I have to either respond in Spanish or compose a new email in Spanish.

I figured out how to activate a Spanish keyboard (Settings, Language & Input, Android Keyboard, Input Languages, deselect Use System Language, and then select English and Spanish). This enables the English and Spanish keyboards, depending on which one I want to use.

However, I can't find a way to spell check Spanish. The only option I have found was in Settings, Language & Input, Spell Correction, Android correction, and that last option in itself only allows me to pick ONE selection (Use System Language, English, French,.....Spanish, etc.). This is rather annoying since I would then have to go back and rest to English.

I am also having the same problems in Facebook but that't probably an app issue.

I won't go back to my BlackBerry but that device had the ability to bring up a menu and select which language I wanted to use for both purposes of typing words and spell checking them in the languages I had activated.

Am I missing something or am I stuck?

Thanks everyone!
    No one has this problem?
    I can't be the only one out here with this issue....but if I am I'll try to find a solution then. But in the meantime, I still need help. Thanks!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Moto droid 1
    Honestly I txt in Spanish with some people and others in English. I don't really care too much about the '', instead of saying ao I say anio Lol. All i do is add the words as i go, like i said, its not important to me. Anyways, I remember using swift x keyboard and they had a very good Spanish dictionary and u can select it and English at the same time I think, so when you type it auto corrects based on the dictionaries it has. Give it a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo_r21 View Post
    Honestly I txt in Spanish with some people and others in English. I don't really care too much about the '', instead of saying ao I say anio Lol. All i do is add the words as i go, like i said, its not important to me. Anyways, I remember using swift x keyboard and they had a very good Spanish dictionary and u can select it and English at the same time I think, so when you type it auto corrects based on the dictionaries it has. Give it a try.

Thanks for your response! Actually I am not too concerned about the n issue. Most of all I want it to spell check so I'll check out swift x. That was one thing BB did very well. When I switched to Spanish it would do spell checking but I could change it within the app (e.g. email, Facebook, etc.) and not have to do a universal setting.

Thanks again!
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    I tried swiftx. Problem solved! NOt the best as compared to the BB features BUT it is way better than the native Android keyboard. Thanks Ricardo!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Moto droid 1
    Your welcome, there's so many great apps available on android that will compensate for anything it doesn't have. If you ever need any help with anything else just ask, the community here is awesome and will help anyone.

Links