DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Audio stops functioning occasionally

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515.09

Audio stops functioning occasionally

I've had the Nexus for 4 days. On three occasions that I noticed, the SOME sound functions from the external speaker stop. Nothing happens to provoke it, just pick it up and notice no sound:

No audio from music or videos
    No keyboard, dial pad sounds
    No audio phone call (Can't hear other end of conversation).

Ringtone works OK
    Notification sounds OK
    All sound OK using plugin headset (didn't try BT headset)

The first time it happened and drove to VZW store. By the time I got there, it self corrected. Before that I had turned phone off, but forgot about removing the battery.
    Another time I noticed it but didn't have time to deal with it. Later it was working. Final time, same thing. I had set it aside for several hours and when I got back to it, working.

Obviously, the bad thing to happened that I haven't experienced yet is to take a call and find I can't hear anyone.

I took it into VZW a second time today. Rep found no other instances of this. Just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Doug
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    I've been reading the forums, all over the web, on this phone since it was released and I don't recall seeing a post relating to this issue. I know there could be some and I just missed them, but I don't feel this is a wide spread issue. With that in mind, I would recommend a Factory Data Reset. Now I do know that this is a really big deal on this phone as it wipes everything!!! It wipes your sdcard (well, that built in storage area they call an sdcard)!! So be sure to backup all your media and other files that you want to put back on your card before you do this. I did one recently and all of my apps reinstalled (paid and free) automatically. Factory Resets cure a lot of ills with Android phones.

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeezley View Post
    I've had the Nexus for 4 days. On three occasions that I noticed, the SOME sound functions from the external speaker stop. Nothing happens to provoke it, just pick it up and notice no sound:

No audio from music or videos
    No keyboard, dial pad sounds
    No audio phone call (Can't hear other end of conversation).

Ringtone works OK
    Notification sounds OK
    All sound OK using plugin headset (didn't try BT headset)

The first time it happened and drove to VZW store. By the time I got there, it self corrected. Before that I had turned phone off, but forgot about removing the battery.
    Another time I noticed it but didn't have time to deal with it. Later it was working. Final time, same thing. I had set it aside for several hours and when I got back to it, working.

Obviously, the bad thing to happened that I haven't experienced yet is to take a call and find I can't hear anyone.

I took it into VZW a second time today. Rep found no other instances of this. Just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Doug

Doug,

I've had the same exact issue as you. It happened for the first time this morning. I did a factory reset but it has not made a difference for me. I will keep an eye on this thread and post any updates. Frustrating
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I ended up returning and exchanging with a new nexus at the Verizon Store.. No issues with the new one, knock on wood
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mcattack44 View Post
    Doug,

I've had the same exact issue as you. It happened for the first time this morning. I did a factory reset but it has not made a difference for me. I will keep an eye on this thread and post any updates. Frustrating
    Yeah exact same issue. So weird that the ringer works just fine, but all media doesn't... which lends itself to a software issue?? I haven't done a reset, but have powered off and yanked the battery - still no sound. It started cutting out listing to a podcast - I thought the app was updating or something so I paused the audio and restarted the app - then no audio at all. Tried all of my media programs, and none work, but again ring tone works. Pissed, I have had this phone for a little over a week.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well I contacted Verizon over this after trying a factory reset and still having no external audio - so strange that the ringtones and sound effects work, but audio doesn't - makes zero sense to me, if its a software problem (which that would lend itself to being I should think) a factory reset should fix it... Verizon agreed and is sending me a new replacement phone. Heres hoping that one has no issues; otherwise I have been SUPER happy with this new phone.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mcattack44 View Post
    I ended up returning and exchanging with a new nexus at the Verizon Store.. No issues with the new one, knock on wood
    I purchased on release day, hadn't even gotten to my car in the parking lot, had placed a call and could not hear the other party, but they could hear me. If I used speakerphone I could hear them, but no other way. I returned to Verizon for help to get audio to work about 10 minutes later and they called a test line and tested it with me and gave me a replacement immediately. I have not had the incall audio problem with the replacement phone, but I do still have media audio cut out on occasion. I usually close and reopen the media and it works again.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Just an idea but have you tried plugging in headphones and then taking them back out? Maybe for some reason its stuck in headphone mode or something :/

Worth a shot

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I have the same problem and registered so I could chime in. For me, the problem started two days ago and is not at all occasional. I have gotten sounds back randomly for a few seconds, and the they stop working again. The same set of sounds work vs. don't work, with the addition that neither I nor the person on the other end of a phone call can hear anything. That is unless I put it on speakerphone - then both of us can hear fine, but that is clearly not a long-term solution. The sounds also work if I plug in headphones but disappear again as soon as I unplug. I have done a battery and sim card pull as well as a factory reset, and neither fixed the problem. I think I need a new phone. My problem is that I bought the phone at Costco and none of the stores here have it in stock anymore, so I can't exchange it until they get it back in.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I don't think you need to go through Costco for that if you have a contract with Verizon - I could be wrong with that, but it can't hurt to call them. I got through right away, and was literally being sent a new phone within 10 minutes of calling them, couldn't have been easier.

Here's a weird thing that you all may enjoy hearing - the new phone should be identical - and it is - except now, the external speaker is at LEAST as loud as my original Droid, so I haven't bothered installing the Volume+ app I had before, which I wondered if that had anything to do with my problem - I don't think it did, as the phone was cutting out phone conversations on anything, the bluetooth audio went out completely, as well as the external speaker being shot.. but very happy with the replacement, as my only complaint other than the camera not being all that wonderful was the low speaker sound.

Its a new phone, there are BOUND to be bugs. I know Samsung specifically mentioned that the external speaker was drawing too much current initially, which was why they kept the volume low; and mentioned that would be fixed in software/firmware updates.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links