DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Upgraded to Nexus and trying to sell OG Droid. Buyer is asking for ESN number .

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Upgraded to Nexus and trying to sell OG Droid. Buyer is asking for ESN number .

I just upgaded to Nexus. I'm currently selling MY OG Droid and portential buyer is asking for an ESN number so h can check to see if it's clean. Is it OK to give it to him?

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatch View Post
    I just upgaded to Nexus. I'm currently selling MY OG Droid and portential buyer is asking for an ESN number so h can check to see if it's clean. Is it OK to give it to him?
    Absolutely. There's no other way for him to determine whether the phone is stolen or not and of course if it's stolen or otherwise blacklisted it would not be able to be activated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I never did even though I don't think there is anything malicious they can do with it. I always just met at a VZW store. They check the ESN right there for free plus it's a public place.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    I wouldn't do it. I sold 3 phones via ebay and only once was asked. I simply said..."sure.....pay for the item and I will send it to you....then you can get the ESN all you wish" But I was selling on Ebay and I offered a 7 day return on the device. Point being is you could offer the same return policy. Should they be unable to connect the dots you can point out that the return policy pretty much covers them. Should they have ANY issues with activation or anything else they can simply return for full refund.

If they don't like it, simply find another buyer....it really isn't that hard.
    Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch t.v., save for your old age, obey the law, don't ask questions, and repeat after me.....I am free.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    I was always concerned that by giving it to them they could just say they bought it....here's the ESN...and now it was stolen by some guy "Kwatch" on Droid Forums....that way YOU are in possession of THEIR now stolen phone....which in turn they could in turn get for free....thanks to you giving them all they need. You could always pass them your CC number along with security pin and exp date.....you know....to make sure it isn't stolen....same concept no?
    Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch t.v., save for your old age, obey the law, don't ask questions, and repeat after me.....I am free.
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Centura
    Premium Member
    There is nothing wrong with giving an ESN number. That's the only way to verify validity.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdslogic View Post
    I was always concerned that by giving it to them they could just say they bought it....here's the ESN...and now it was stolen by some guy "Kwatch" on Droid Forums....that way YOU are in possession of THEIR now stolen phone....which in turn they could in turn get for free....thanks to you giving them all they need. You could always pass them your CC number along with security pin and exp date.....you know....to make sure it isn't stolen....same concept no?
    Scary thought...
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Verizon has a website (wish I still had the link) where you can verify the ESN is good... do that, take a screenshot, blur out a few numbers and send it to him/her explaining you're being extra careful b/c of horror stories like mentioned above.

If they're local (like Craigslist), meet up at a VZW store to verify - that's very common.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  10. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Verizon has a website (wish I still had the link) where you can verify the ESN is good... do that, take a screenshot, blur out a few numbers and send it to him/her explaining you're being extra careful b/c of horror stories like mentioned above.

If they're local (like Craigslist), meet up at a VZW store to verify - that's very common.
    Also safe to do so. You'll be in the store where they can't pull any tricks either. Stay safe!
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    All you do is insure that it is a CLEAN ESN. If you give him the ESN then he can technically use it against you. The screen shot example above is a good method as is meeting at a VZW store. He has a right to make sure that the ESN is not stolen as well so just make sure he knows it is clean and he will have it as soon as it is purchased. Horror stories will occur if you are selling online which is why Ebay and everywhere else they just let you know it is clean and then have some sort of return policy for the customer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links