DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid X compared to Fascinate

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Fascinate v X

(NOTE: I posted this thread on the X Forum as well, but figured I might naturally get more X-leaning users on that thread, so wanted to gauge the response on this board as well)

I've done enough research to conclude that the X and Fascinate are both great phones, and that each has their advantages and drawbacks, but am having a terrible time figuring out which is the right phone for ME. Was hoping if I articulated my priorities, the forum might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm not a major techie or gamer, and don't anticipate downloading tons of apps, so for me the phone is primarily about being good for calling/emailing/texting, surfing the net (and viewing the occasional online video or movie) and using the device as my primary music player (using earbuds with my "Rhapsody to Go" subscription).

I live in NYC and will primarily be using the phone here. Call quality/signal are important (I know the X probably wins here, but is the Fascinate a solid phone for this purpose or does it lag behind most other phones as well)? It's one thing if the X is just louder and gets signal in very low-signal areas...it's another thing if the Fascinate sounds muffled on either end of the call, or has zero or weak signal in places that it shouldn't. Internet speed is also important (but if it's pretty close between the two, I don't care...it's only a problem if one of the phones is much more sluggish than the other).

My music's sound quality via the earbuds is also really important to me, but again, it's not a dealbreaker if one phone is just slightly better than the other (it may be problematic, however, if one has superior sound quality over the other). (I also do like that the X comes with more on-board memory so I can store more of my music on it than the Fascinate, though I guess I can always get a 32gb SD card if I had to.)

I have to admit that the Fascinate just appears to me to be a sleeker/sexier phone (whereas the X has more of an industrial mini-computer feel), but as a 6' tall guy with somewhat large hands, when testing both keyboards in the Verizon store, I've had a harder time typing accurately on the Fascinate, which will be a problem if it doesn't get better, given the amount I email/text. (That said, since this is my first non-physical keyboard, maybe I'll quickly get better once I own it?) Also, although not a dealbreaker, I often do text/surf the net with one hand...will I be able to do that with the X?

Though I like the look & dimensions of the Fascinate better, I would ultimately choose substance-over-form if the X justifies it. That said, since I'm a guy, I will primarily be carrying the phone in my jeans pocket...I know the X is slightly larger/clunkier/heavier, but is it annoying to transport? I don't necessarily mind bigger if it's not too noticeable, but if it's uncomfortable to sit or walk around with it in my pocket, that could definitely be a dealbreaker.

The Bing issue doesn't bother me, but I do anticipate using the phone very occasionally as a GPS-driving-navigator and somewhat more frequently to find out about good bars/restaurants/stores near me when I'm walking around NYC. I guess I'd download Google Maps on the Fascinate, and if getting a lock on my location will be quicker once Froyo arrives, it shouldn't be a problem for me.

I doubt I'll shoot tons of video, but I will use the phone as my camera. The difference in image quality is less important to me than everything else I mentioned, as long as the photos look decent on either unit.

OK, so given this lengthy description of what I'm looking for, does it sound like I'd be happier with the X or the Fascinate?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Fascinate is better to me because it has a PowerVR sgx 540 Graphics chip in it that blows everything(X, incredible, evo, droid 2,, iphone 4, even PSP) out of the water for 3d gaming. Plus all that GPU horsepower coupled with a perfect sized AMOLED screen and boom...sick gaming phone.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    I know I'm probably in the minority on this website, but I'm not much of a gamer and don't expect to become one with my new phone. Are the graphic advantages you mentioned primarily enjoyed during the gaming experience or do they also extend to watching videos, images on the internet, etc?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    well from what ive seen navigating and swiping through the menus on the fascinate are fluid just like iphone, the X is not smooth when swiping finger across home screens at all. So idk if samsung used the gpu to render menus but its very fluid, more so than the incredible or the X. Plus the hummingbird processor(ARM A8) in the fascinate is better than that in the droid X, uses less power and better performance. Video recording in 720p is also alot smoother on the fascinate, feels like 60 frames per second. The recording is not as smooth on the X. So far my battery life has been amazing on the fascinate also. And with Android 2.2 coming out for it soon, it will be even higher above other phones in power.
    Last edited by Tominator; 09-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I had the X and returned it. It operated fine, but was just too big. I'm 6'2", 200lbs. It was too big in the holster on my hip, and felt like I was holding a deck of cards to my ear. I have the Fascinate now. A bit smaller, more svelte; it feels and looks better. I wouldn't go back.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Any sense of the sound quality for music/mp3's played when using headphones?

Also, have you had any issues with reception or call clarity (either on your end of the phone or the other caller's)?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    sound quality for music is excellent given all the sound options including the 5.1 sound option on the fascinate. Call quality is good, although sometimes when u yell on the phone u can hear yourself sometimes. I never dropped a call yet since i bought mine on launch day. I asked others how I sound and they said it was a little more crisp than the incredible i used to own. The speaker on the phone is also good, on full volume i hear no popping or static. Only complaint about this phone is i wish the charger jack was located on the side of the phone instead of the top.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    I was in the same position as you X vs fascinate. Coming from a Droid 1.

I was heavily leaning towards the X. Then I went to the VZW store and played with both of them for a good while. Download stuff, surfed the web etc. everything I would normally do.

In the end I chose the Fascinate. Android 2.1, Bing, etc. and all. Why? It's such a sexy phone. I runs smoooooth and quick. The X was too big for me too fat for me and too slow for me.

Since music seems to be a big deciding factor for you. The one thing I really like about Samsung's music player is it includes genre unlike the Droid.

HTH
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    What is genre and separately, what's your experience been with call quality?
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    After a long time of back-n-forth demo'ing at a Verizon store the Fascinate won. I'm a long time Blackberry user so this is taking me some serious adjustment time, but the sound quality, awesome Google maps performance, voice controls, amazing graphics, & sheer customizability ;-) of the device is worth the learning curve investment. Now if I can just get the email to work nearly as good as my trusty ol' BB...

p.s. Yes, I did say "Google maps" ... unlike others, my GPS is working perfectly with Google maps.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links