DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fascinate Galaxy S Reception Issues?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate Galaxy S

Fascinate Galaxy S Reception Issues?

I was just curious if anyone else is having reception issues. I just got my phone on Monday- it never seems to have full bars. I have a great friend that is a district manager for Cellular One who called me yesterday and said take it back--kept dropping my call - he was in downtown Chicago and I in my home where I never had a problem with my Eris.

He said it may be just this phone. Gotta tell ya I am really praying that when I swap out for a different one that it works because I absolutely love the phone!

Was just curious if anyone else was noticing reception issues.
    Tami Vroma
    www.LiveInWestMi.com
    Life is a Journey . . Enjoy the Ride!!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S)
    I never got drop calls even with only 1 or 2 bars. Living in the city with lots of tall buildings will definitely not get you full bars all the time. But unless I drive thru tunnels or underground parking lots, I've never had reception issues.
    Last edited by dricacho; 09-25-2010 at 08:44 AM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Spectrum
    I'm having the same problem where i live at i had always have full bars on all my previous phones my wife phone and daughter phone has full bars. For some reason i have the bars on this phone drop to one bar,I'm going to return this phone.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'm a sales rep at a Verizon corporate store, 4 of my co-workers have Fascinates and we ALL experience a MAJOR difference in signal quality compared to co-workers with Droid X's and Droid 2's....
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTA855 Droid
    love my fascinate, my service usually shows close to nothing but the call quality is fine. I do know it was a known issue though with the phone going into air plane mode or not switching from 1X to EVDO which could be what your seeing in terms of signal, check to see if it shows a 1x instead of 3G when you have those service issues
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Had same type of problem and when I got the update from Verizon that seemed to clear/steady the signal bar. Had switching bars and now have a steady 2 bars and am in a motorhome in a rural area east of KC, Mo. Use this phone as my internet connection and have had no call drop issues, even before the update in weak signal areas.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    I live in an area were reception is borderline. Motorola phone always have the best reception. Samsung seem to come in second for me, with LG being the worst.

My Droid 1 almost always had a signal, weak, but it had one. My Fascinate is constantly in and out.

For me it's typical and what I expected.
    Current:
    Samsung Fascinate

Retired:
    Motorola Droid - Lithium Mod V1.0.12 - LauncherPro
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I don't really pay any attention to the bars, but I have had no problems with calls being dropped or anything like that. Seems pretty good to me.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Something frutrating happened to me last night. My bldg has lousy signal anyway.
    But I lost signal for a while. I had to pull my batt, after that it worked
    fine... I have yet to drop any calls though.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Samsung Fascinate
    I'm 10 miles outside of Birmingham, AL and I've had my phone for 3 days. It's likely going back to the store (for a second and final time). I've read that the antenna on Samsung phones is typically weaker than for other manufacturers' phones and I now believe it. I think that this phone's performance is 100% tied to how good your area's signal is because if it's not strong, you're out of luck.

The mail app on the phone is pretty awful anyway but if the phone can't get a reliable data connection, it seems to stop even trying to get mail on the 5 minute schedule I've set up. If I go in and ask the mail to update, it might, or it might not. Most of the time it says that there was a connection error. The Mail Droid app is a little better for whatever reason but still hangs as soon as signal strength wanes (again, that darn antenna).

Browsing is either great or non-existent. Most of the time, it sits there thinking - definitely not what I saw in the store. It was lightning fast and I was impressed. Call quality is ok - but I've had two calls drop/couldn't answer them because of a signal issue.

My indicator almost always shows zero or one teeny bar and it vascillates between 3G and 1x. This happened a little bit on my Blackberry Curve, but it never stopped me from browsing (which is notoriusly slow on the Curve anyway) or getting mail in a reasonably timely fashion. Verizon's reply is that "the Fascinate is not an email phone - go for a BlackBerry if that's important to you". The thing is, that even with the buy one get one free deal they were running, it's a very expensive phone to have such a weak antenna and therefore limited functionality.
    Last edited by hedgecat; 10-03-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links