DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Tips on conserving the battery

  1. Master Droid
    AllForNaught's Avatar
    Member #
    155734
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    284
    Phone
    samsung fascinate
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post
    sure he can. Heck I bet he can get battery life like that right now. Don't be misleading though, OP obviously USES his phone instead of keeping it in his pocket all day.
    Brilliant. Well, I'll take it a step further, and presume I use it MORE than the op.

    Let's post more stuff that's non constructive: Every day useage for me includes (but isnt limited to) -

    Dozens Email reciepts.

    Dozens of pages/calls at work (Hospital. Maintenance. Team leader) answered/made.

    Intensive utility function (calc, pdf. of all hospital extensions, pdf. schematics and blueprints of several hospital systems, flashlight, memo pad, camera, bluetooth, wifi, emergency scanner radio, etc.)

    ...and that's just while I'm @ work for 8.5 hours... so to continue:

    Dozens of Facebook visits

    Uploading/downloading tracks to/from Soundcloud (to share original music ideas with bandmates)

    Full length movies (airplane mode on)

    Light to moderate gaming (airolane mode on)

    Moderate daily use of TubeMate to download mp3's/videos.

    Mobile metronome pro for guitar practice.

    Moderate net browsing (usually only in wifi areas - not exclusively)

    Voice recorder for quick song sketches daily.

    light video camera use.

    Moderate Pisay Pro picture editing daily.

    Several daily droidforum visits.

    Dozens of sms.

    And probably missed a couple, but this is pretty accurate daily use.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums
  2. Droid
    broderp's Avatar
    Member #
    206742
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    31
    Phone
    Sansung Galaxy S
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis0n View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Slightly off topic, but related...

    If the Android OS is so good at managing mempry and CPU usuage, how come after shutting of many apps they simply pop right back up?

    Email aps are bad for this. Even with settings for manual syc etc. I still have certain apps automatically starting even after using the task manager AND ATF for Froyo to shut them down. They just wont die!

    I currenly also have the app SystemPanel installed so I can monitor what are the most offending apps.
    What you are experiencing with apparently showing up immediately after killing are processes. Processes are needed for web-like connection that is involved with other apps. Its explained in the link previously posted. Android is completely different from anything you can imagine =]…

    COMROM 2.0
    OTB 1.6
    An droid OS is dumb. Why would anyone write code that constantly runs/ restarts processes about games or ther apps after they are shut off? (And keep restarting them, such as messaging and email sync, web browser?)

    For the record I turn off:
    Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, gps & mobile date if not being used. I also do a level 2 swipe religiously. Granted my usage has been fairly light, only 20 or so texts, 1 picture text and about 15 minutes data usage.

    I have ATK for Froyo running, as well as SystemPanel and a Live wallpaper. I've so far been on battery power for over 1 day, 8 hours and 30 minutes.

    Not to shabby. As of right now, I am down to about 29% battery.

    I just UNINSTALED ATK. I'm curious if this will help. What REALLY helped (going from about 13-15 hours to the above) was removing all but one WIDGET. I had both the bing and google widgets as well as the weather bug clock and task manager widget all running. Now I only have the weather bug clock widget running (not autoupdating) and shortcuts to the task manager. BIG difference.
    Last edited by broderp; 06-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Stelv's Avatar
    Member #
    126298
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,665
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #23
    Honestly the thing that kills the most battery when it comes down to it is screen brightness. If one takes auto brightness off and sets it to 40% or lower, that will improve battery too. It's good that you got rid of ATK, because that is just not good for the system. 1 day is pretty good for battery though.
  4. Master Droid
    AllForNaught's Avatar
    Member #
    155734
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    284
    Phone
    samsung fascinate
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Honestly the thing that kills the most battery when it comes down to it is screen brightness. If one takes auto brightness off and sets it to 40% or lower, that will improve battery too. It's good that you got rid of ATK, because that is just not good for the system. 1 day is pretty good for battery though.
    I agree. But I mostly have mine on the lowest setting - I have a brightness toggle app ( not widget!!!) in my Go Launcher EX dock: very handy to simply slide the brightness up when needed, and down when indoors.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums
  5. Droid Sensei
    Stelv's Avatar
    Member #
    126298
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,665
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #25
    Toggle apps do come in handy. I have quick settings in my notification bar.

    Sent from my fascinate
  6. Master Droid
    Section Twelve's Avatar
    Member #
    100769
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Posts
    311
    Phone
    Droid X
    #26
    I am far too lazy to read this entire thread, but Gingerbread has indeed lengthened the battery life for me.
    Last edited by Section Twelve; 06-27-2011 at 03:14 PM.
  7. Droid
    broderp's Avatar
    Member #
    206742
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    31
    Phone
    Sansung Galaxy S
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Toggle apps do come in handy. I have quick settings in my notification bar.

    Sent from my fascinate
    Where does one find these toggle apps (Not widgets?) I searched on the market, but not sure what I'm seeing is an app or widget most of the time. Alos the selection up there is pretty weak.

    I find many widgets (some are quite nice) but they are battery drains.

    Does a phone have to be rooted to use them (toggle apps)?
  8. Droid
    broderp's Avatar
    Member #
    206742
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    31
    Phone
    Sansung Galaxy S
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis0n View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Slightly off topic, but related...

    If the Android OS is so good at managing mempry and CPU usuage, how come after shutting of many apps they simply pop right back up?

    Email aps are bad for this. Even with settings for manual syc etc. I still have certain apps automatically starting even after using the task manager AND ATF for Froyo to shut them down. They just wont die!

    I currenly also have the app SystemPanel installed so I can monitor what are the most offending apps.
    What you are experiencing with apparently showing up immediately after killing are processes. Processes are needed for web-like connection that is involved with other apps. Its explained in the link previously posted. Android is completely different from anything you can imagine =]…

    COMROM 2.0
    OTB 1.6
    An droid OS is dumb. Why would anyone write code that constantly runs/ restarts processes about games or ther apps after they are shut off? (And keep restarting them, such as messaging and email sync, web browser?)

    For the record I turn off:
    Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, gps & mobile date if not being used. I also do a level 2 swipe religiously. Granted my usage has been fairly light, only 20 or so texts, 1 picture text and about 15 minutes data usage.

    I have ATK for Froyo running, as well as SystemPanel and a Live wallpaper. I've so far been on battery power for over 1 day, 8 hours and 30 minutes.

    Not to shabby. As of right now, I am down to about 29% battery.

    I just UNINSTALED ATK. I'm curious if this will help. What REALLY helped (going from about 13-15 hours to the above) was removing all but one WIDGET. I had both the bing and google widgets as well as the weather bug clock and task manager widget all running. Now I only have the weather bug clock widget running (not autoupdating) and shortcuts to the task manager. BIG difference.
    Just an update, I have gone 2-3 charge cycles now without killing any apps with any program. It appears, at least to me on my stock Samsung facinate I500 with Verizon that killing apps DOES help battery life. Good or not for the OS, it works.

    I was getting up to 38 hours on a charge prior to starting this test. After starting, I am only getting about 28~30 hours.


    you can argue either side, and even the system panel program I use says to not kill running processes in the Android system, but unless myusuage changed, and I don't think it did, then it seems to work for me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. BEST way to increase battery life?? any tips?
    By Scarface9609 in forum Android Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
  2. tips for maximizing battery performance?
    By peacemover in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 08:34 AM
  3. Battery Saving tips
    By xxacexx2 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM
  4. Panda Home/DROID Battery Tips?
    By Mesomorphman in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Search tags for this page

how to conserve battery on samsung fascinate
,
how to save battery on a samsung mesmerize
,

how to save battery on samsung fascinate

,
how to save battery on samsung mesmerize
,
how to save your battery on samsung mesmerize
,

samsung fascinate battery life tips

,
samsung fascinate save battery
,
samsung mesmerize battery drain
,
samsung mesmerize save battery
,
save battery on samsung fascinate
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+