DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Samsung Fascinate will be the New Droid in this Droid Forums members Opinion

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    It goes beyond just that from what I hear. I hear clicking address links will still be tied to the other nav app. So to navigate using Google Navigation u may have to enter the address manually. Some ppl may find that an inconvenience considering it didnt have to be like this.

As long as u can still use Google Nav it should be be ok. I never tried Bing so I cant comment on that. I dont use it on my PC. Never had a reason to.

And I see where the OP is coming from too. No locked bootloader, nice gpu.... These Samsung phones are the new Droids. The new Droids on Verizon are Motorola Milestones now.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid, Droid X
    i tried the bing app on my droid to see if it's that horrible. It's not bad actually. Got mostly the same results as i did with google. Plus since the Fascinate is easily rootable, all the bloatware and bing stuff can be removed. Overclocking a 1ghz phone to 1.6ghz stable sounds reasonable.. I guess people are going to hate on the Fascinate because they're jealous their phones have locked bootloaders (and stuck with crappy motoblur)
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    lol...I dont think too many are jealous of a locked bootloader. Those that are jealous they had a choice to not get the X. Those that are happy with it, The X is good enough with it being locked. Stock vs. stock, it can go toe to toe with any current phone thats out.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Not to mention, the locked bootloader isn't stopping us too much. The only reason for custom kernels is to overclock (or fix glaring holes and bugs, but that can be worked around as well). Overclocking past 1Ghz is fun (and I did it too, so yea), but it's practically useless right now. 1Ghz is more than enough to smooth out the experience, and apps aren't exactly cpu intensive. The real bottlenecks are the GPU (which the galaxy s takes care of nicely), and the NAND flash that makes up the filesystem (which all manufacturers seem to be screwing up). The X has the same lag problem as the Galaxy S phones do, and the leaked 2.2 update for the X fixed it, so it's probably also going to be fixed in the official 2.2 for the GalS as well. Not to mention, there's an app/root combo for the GalS that actually fixes it better from all reports...

As to bing. It's not so much that the current state of bing is horrible in comparison to google, it's more about the future. Google has plans on updating the search widget/app, is microsoft going to implement them as well? And what about voice search/commands? Does it behave as normal? If so, then no worries.

I've used bing maps... No multitouch, and the location based searching is wonky. Searched for in-n-out, pointed me to the one across town, instead of the one down the street. The multitouch was on the todo list last I saw, so it might very well be in the version on the Fascinate.

But that's all besides the point. Like or hate bing, you should be able to replace it fairly easily with root as has been said.

For me, that actually adds to the fun factor of the device. Gives me something to tinker with. I might use BOGO and get one to just play with (my cousin's joining our familyplan, wants to keep his DInc. I'll just keep his Fascinate warm for him...).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links