DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: OTA Update ruins compatibility with Macs

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate

Exclamation OTA Update ruins compatibility with Macs

I'm certainly not the only convert from the iPhone, but my conversion was hard won since I use a Mac.

the first month I've had my Fascinate has been great. I've been able to sync using Double Twist, and transfer photos and video taken on the device back to my mac no problem.

But since the OTA update I get an error that my device is incompatible when I plug in USB. The fascinate shuttles a Verizon Media .exe to my desktop. I can't run this program, and since I can't open it, I can't access the phone like I could before as a mass storage device.

I've not yet tried ejecting the actual micro SD card and putting it in a card reader. Thats a pain in the butt considering I'd have to dismount the card in the software, take off my case, take off the back, THEN get the card out, and have to put it back in when I'm done.

I hope I can find a way around this. I know some one smarter than me is going to suggest I root my phone, but honestly I shouldn't have to. This was functionality that was purposefully removed from an excellent phone. I'm just outside of my 30 day return policy, otherwise I'd take it back and get a Droid 2, a lesser phone with a better update track record.

the best thing about the iPhone was that it was sold naked. No AT&T branding, no garbage apps pre-installed. Fascinate is a much better phone than my 3G was and on a much better network, but the bloat and now this update have me pretty frustrated.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Well now reading on, it seems windows users are having the same problem.

a mod can lock this up, and readers can move on. We're collectively screwed until Samsung does another update.

Links