It's no surprise to anyone here that there is a lot of frustration over the delay in getting Android 2.2 on the Fascinate. It's been promised for months, other devices in the same class already have it, and its been built-up to be this "going to fix everything" pill. This really isn't anything new when it comes to these devices, I remember going through the same thing with my last two Verizon phones, even back to my Dell Axim. We're left wondering why these huge companies aren't stepping up and supporting us -- are they deaf and blind to their customers?
Without getting into a discussion about Verizon's customer service, which could take all day, here's a few things that I think could be causing the delay:
1. There's a problem with Android 2.2 and the CDMA version of the Fascinate that they haven't been able to resolve yet.
2. There's some strain in Verizon's relationship with Samsung. They may be in a negotiation for new devices and have put things on hold till its resolved.
3. Verizon hasn't determined that the release is necessary. The increase in support costs (which always come initially with a software update) isn't worth the perceived increase in customer satisfaction.
4. Verizon doesn't want to extend the lifespan of the Fascinate when there are new 4G devices on the horizon.
5. Verizon is waiting for the Fascinate to stop selling, and they will use the 2.2 update for a "refresh" to drive up sales. They did this same thing with the Voyager.
Feel free to add to this list. I think this is an interesting discussion, and we might as well talk about something while we are waiting for our upgrade!