DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, force close galor after reverting from Voodoo to non-voodoo

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question Help, force close galor after reverting from Voodoo to non-voodoo

I apologize if this has been address before, I found it a hard thing to search for.

I installed the Super Clean ROM through ROM Manager, then I installed the Voodoo kernel. Then I noticed that a previous ROM I had tried ran better. So, since I heard that you're supposed to uninstall Voodoo before switching ROMs, so I installed the "Non-Voodoo kernel" through the ROM Manager. It reboots, and comes to a lockscreen, but as soon as I unlock it I'm flooded with literally endless force close messages, and I can't do anything.

I'm not necessarily panicked because I know there's a fix for this, but I don't know how to do fix it without restoring the whole phone to factory ROM an settings.

I've tried booting into recovering by holding both volume up and down while pressing the power button, but there was no restore option in the menu.

Please help or post a link to where this is already explained. Thank you!

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate and Droid 1
    You found out the hard way that voodoo kernels can not simply flashed over (unless it is to a newer voodoo kernel).

Ok, first lets get your phone back working. Reinstall the voodoo kernel for now. Go to the stock recovery by holding both volume buttons at start up. Select the "apply update.zip" option. That should take you to the clockworkmod recovery. This will enable you the chance to reinstall the voodoo kernel. If you need further guideance just ask.

I have never uninstalled voodoo but here is the link.

[How to] Completely Remove Voodoo Lagfix - xda-developers

Good luck.
  4. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    @dr0idg0d23
    Phone
    Droid Bionic & Galaxy Nexus
    If you are only trying to flash a different rom and not wanting to disable voodoo permenantly then here is what to do. Reinstall voodoo kernel. After that and when phone is rebooted go into sd card/voodoo and create a folder called "disable_lagfix" reboot phone and patiently wait for process to finish (takes a while). Once phone is booted you must reboot into recovery and flash your rom. After reboot go back to your sd card and remove the file you created in the voodoo folder and reboot again.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
    DROID BIONIC
    droidth3ory's KIN3XT v1.0
    GALAXY NEXUS
    droidth3ory's AXIOM v2.3
    NEED HELP???
    email droidgod23@gmail.com
    Twitter: @dr0idg0d23

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    bL33d77
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Imo voodoo is more trouble then its worth. I only seen and increase in performance with benchmarks and maybe installing apps which was not slow b4 voodoo anyway.
    Galaxy nexus aokp m5 w/ Franco kernel
    iPad 16gb
    ----------------------------
    Old phones..
    Droid razr
    LG spectrum
    Thunderbolt
    Droid charge
    Droid X
    Fascinate
    og Droid
    droid eris
    iphone 3gs
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh man! They don't call it Voodoo for nothing!

Thanks bigredcat and yutzyscott. My main stumbling block at first was that I didn't know that the "apply update.zip" lead to the clockwork mod.

However, after I reinstalled the Voodoo kernel, I got it to work again (except an odd problem where none of my widgets showed). And then I created the disable_lagfix folder in sdcard/voodoo/. I rebooted and it did its thing. I forget what exactly happened after but I went into clockwork mod and flashed recoveries from previous ROMs. If I flash the ROM I had with Voodoo, it'll boot but the screen is completely black, can't do anything. If I flash a previous ROM, I just get and an infinite loop of boot screens.

I tried wiping everything, and that did nothing. I'm lost.
    Last edited by ryankhart; 11-09-2010 at 10:07 PM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate and Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryankhart View Post
    Oh man! They don't call it Voodoo for nothing!

Thanks bigredcat and yutzyscott. My main stumbling block at first was that I didn't know that the "apply update.zip" lead to the clockwork mod.

However, after I reinstalled the Voodoo kernel, I got it to work again (except an odd problem where none of my widgets showed). And then I created the disable_lagfix folder in sdcard/voodoo/. I rebooted and it did its thing. I forget what exactly happened after but I went into clockwork mod and flashed recoveries from previous ROMs. If I flash the ROM I had with Voodoo, it'll boot but the screen is completely black, can't do anything. If I flash a previous ROM, I just get and an infinite loop of boot screens.

I tried wiping everything, and that did nothing. I'm lost.
    Are you trying to disable voodoo?

You cant create a disable_lagfix FOLDER, it wont disable the lagfix. You need to create a FILE of the same name.

Here is some instructions on how to do so in Windows.

1) Create a new folder on your desktop, name of the folder does not matter.

2) Open the folder and go up to the top and select "Tools", and then "Folder Options" from the drop down.

3) Click on the "View" tab, then look under the Advanced Settings and look for the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and make sure the block is UNCHECKED. Hit apply and close the Folder Options window

4) Back in the new folder you created in step 1, right click in the folder and hover over "New" and click on Text Document. You should now have a new text document in the folder.

5) Rename the new text document created in step 4 as "disable_lagfix" NO FILE EXTENSION. Delete the ".txt" You should get a warning about the file not becoming usable, just select "Yes"

6) Copy that file you just renamed into the root of the "voodoo" folder on your SD Card.

7) Restart your phone. As long as you keep that file in the voodoo folder, the voodoo lagfix will DISABLE itself. To use voodoo again simply delete the file.

Done.

If you want to completely remove voodoo try this link.

[How to] Completely Remove Voodoo Lagfix - xda-developers

Discalimer: I take no responsibility if you break or damage your phone. I have voodoo installed on my phone and it works great.
    Last edited by bigredcat; 11-10-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Typo
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh ok. But how do you explain that when I created the folder instead of a file and rebooted and did the creepy computerized female voice thing?

But besides that, I can't even get my phone to boot successfully to any combination of ROMs and Voodoo or Non-Voodoo kernels. I don't know if it makes a difference but I still have that "disable_lagfix" folder in there.

To try and change that folder to a file instead, I tried mounting my micro-SD card to both PC and Mac using an SD card adapter, but nothing could recognize its existence. My guess is that I have to use a certain Windows program to push files to the phone. I've done it before with my previous Motorola Droid 1, but I forget all the details and whether or not it would be different on the Fascinate.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Ran into the same problem you did, but I ran the steps from "[How to] Completely Remove Voodoo Lagfix - xda-developers"

After that my I was able to bring my phone back to a stock state. It completely removed root on the phone. Phone was still not 100%, but i used CMWR to re-install the back up I created before I installed the VooDoo ROM. Brought back my phone back to where it was with no issues. All I have to say is thank goodness I made a backup of the stock ROM w/root before I installed VooDoo.

Phone is 100% now running Black Glass ROM
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate and Droid 1
    Are you trying to get rid of voodoo?

Warning, the following will result in loss of apps and data in your phone, you continue at your own risk.

That said you might want to try to "wipe data / factory reset" and "wipe cache partition" in clockworkmod recovery. This should clear everything out and let you load a new rom. I would try to wipe and load a new rom and leave the kernel alone for now. Choose any rom out there, I would maybe suggest JTs Super Clean Rom. Give that a shot and ket us know how you do.

You know how to flash new roms in clockworkmod recovery, correct?
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredcat View Post
    Are you trying to get rid of voodoo?
    Oh sorry. I don't care either way. I just want to know how to get everything working again. If I know how to do that, I can experiment and still find my way back if I mess something up.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredcat View Post
    You know how to flash new roms in clockworkmod recovery, correct?
    Correct.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links