All credit goes to comradesven for the post over on XDA...
I personally have not done this as I am happy on the EC01 radio so I need to reason to switch but here it is since some do....
Orig link: [MODEM][ODIN][CWM]DL09, EA28, ED01, ED03 modems without ridiculous 100MB OTAs - xda-developers
[MODEM][ODIN][CWM]DL09, EA28, ED01, ED03, ED04 modems without ridiculous 100MB OTAs
WHAT'S ALL THIS, THEN?
The fact that accessing the modem on this device has proven to be such a trainwreck has been the cause of much pretended weeping and gnashing of teeth amongst those of us who pretend to care about such things. Indeed, countless man-hours have been squandered by the larger community fiddling about with Odins and OTAs so as to obtain the ED01 or ED03 modems, for which there are, as yet, no Odinable versions generally available. For you, the sophisticated and discriminating SCH-I500VZW owner, there is a faster yet similar alternative - for what we were really after all along was the modem_delta.bin files ensconced within up to 100MB of Binged, unrooted, Verizon-approved OTA.
These directions work for me. I would not have posted them if I had not been reasonably confident they will work for you. But I am tired of handholding. Computers (e.g. your phone - a computer that happens to make phone calls on the side) suck and break for no reason sometimes, but most problems are user error and failure to follow directions. I have added a section of general troubleshooting steps that will help you help yourself. If they don't work, the magic smoke is leaking from your phone, and the Wizards' Guild hates you for some reason. You knew the risks, so you will take responsibility.
You have been warned. Heretofore, if anything breaks, it is your fault.
0. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP and all manner of other backups - but then, you already knew that. You also knew how to use these backups. Right? Good. (Will probably only help in worst-case scenarios, which is a great reason to make one)
- USE ODIN to flash the DL09 radio, which is the womb from whence all subsequent radios will emerge. The radio is included in the full DL09 Odin tar packages that are floating around, but it can also be flashed by itself. I have included a link to an Odin file that will flash only the radio below for your convenience.
- USE CWM to flash the appropriate zip (BTW, they use Edify scripting) to copy the desired modem delta file (patch) to your phone. Make sure the zip's filename indicates that it is a match for your currently installed modem!
- DO A FULL REBOOT immediately afterwards to have the phone patch the radio. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary until you have your desired radio version.
NOTES & WARNINGS
- WHEN USING ODIN, ALWAYS USE PDA PDA PDA ONLY USE PDA PDA PDA FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IGNORE PHONE AND CSC OR YOU WILL BE SORRY
- It doesn't seem to matter whether you are using a Voodoo or stock kernel for the phone to patch the modem, but it won't actually do it until you reboot.
- In an effort to foolproof the process I recommended flashing modems one patch at a time. Apparently more than one patch can be applied at a time so I have now added two new CWM packages that will get you from DL09 to ED01/ED03 in one step. The other zips remain for maximum flexibility. Enjoy y'all, but remember, if you choose to run a mismatched modem + ROM combo, you're on your own!
- I don't know about CM6/CM7, but it looks like the newer ones that access the flash via mtd instead of BML are incompatible with these zips as of now. I'll see what I can do, but don't cross your fingers.
- KEEP TRACK OF WHAT VERSION YOUR MODEM IS AFTER COMPLETING EACH STEP. FLASH THE RIGHT ZIP(s). FLASH EACH ZIP ONLY ONCE. There is no build.prop version string checking going on here.
- DO A FULL REBOOT AFTER FLASHING A CWM ZIP. Using the advanced menu to reboot from recovery back into recovery or into download mode is NOT a full reboot.
- The TW Froyo ROMs seem to be OK with booting when an Eclair modem is present. I haven't tested Eclair ROMs with Froyo modems. There may be problems with SMS/MMS or FC loops at the homescreen or God knows what else with mismatched modem + ROMs but the baseband should still have been updated.
- Check the MD5sums of the files you downloaded, and again with the files you put on the sdcard. If they don't match, redownload and retransfer until they do.
- Verify that the baseband version changes to the version you expect after each flash.
- Since only the modem is being modified, as long as you did not do something dumb like checking the wrong Odin checkboxes you can always Odin the DL09 modem and start over from the top.
- If your CWM recovery is too old and does not support Edify scripting, get a newer one that does.
- In extreme cases, Odin to the full stock DL09 ROM (this is where that nandroid comes in handy) before proceeding to steps 2 and 3, or...
- Give up, use Odin to flash one of the still-fairly-topical EB01 or EC01 radios or whatever, and forget about it. There is no consensus as to whether the ED series radios are better (better for some and worse for others).
Think about what you're doing, and you will surely maximize your chances of cellular satisfaction!
Updated 6/9 with DL09 to ED04 and ED01 to ED04 packages. Thanks squash for grabbing it from the OTA before me
Updated 6/6 with one-step DL09 to ED01 and DL09 to ED03 packages.
Also updated 6/2 with new files that clean up the scripts a little. If you already have the old files, don't bother redownloading, you aren't missing anything important.