DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Desperately need your help on this issue

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge

Desperately need your help on this issue

Hey,
    Have been asking this forever and I really need help for I have tried everything. My Droid Charge just spikes up in CPU usage to 100% and stays there forever never coming down. This usually happens when I am driving and using my GPS and also my bluetooth is connected to the car fm modulator. During this point of time I can't go into any other app to check which app is taking up the cpu cycles and kill it. My only option is to reboot. Can someone please let me know:
    1. Is there any app that records cpu usage so that I can diagnose as to what is causing this problem. I don't need an app that tells me which app is using CPU at this point of time since I won't be able to run this app since my phone just freezes. So I need an app that records cpu usage rather that reports it right now.
    2. If the above is not possible is there an app that can be used to kill the app that is taking up maximum cpu and something that can be triggered using a hardware switch(like a power button).
    3. Will changing the kernel etc. help at all. Right now I am running 2.6.35.7-FP1. Can I flash a kernel without having reload all my apps and data?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by salilsurendran View Post
    Hey,
    Have been asking this forever and I really need help for I have tried everything. My Droid Charge just spikes up in CPU usage to 100% and stays there forever never coming down. This usually happens when I am driving and using my GPS and also my bluetooth is connected to the car fm modulator. During this point of time I can't go into any other app to check which app is taking up the cpu cycles and kill it. My only option is to reboot. Can someone please let me know:
    1. Is there any app that records cpu usage so that I can diagnose as to what is causing this problem. I don't need an app that tells me which app is using CPU at this point of time since I won't be able to run this app since my phone just freezes. So I need an app that records cpu usage rather that reports it right now.
    2. If the above is not possible is there an app that can be used to kill the app that is taking up maximum cpu and something that can be triggered using a hardware switch(like a power button).
    3. Will changing the kernel etc. help at all. Right now I am running 2.6.35.7-FP1. Can I flash a kernel without having reload all my apps and data?
    Hey sal.

1) I don't know of an app that does what you're asking. You can track what aps take up resources but I don't know of an app that logs usage on a timeline. Running navigation doesn't really allow for multi tasking. That won't matter what you do, its requires your phones resources.

2) don't know of a app that let's you kill specific apps. The way android system (Linux) works is it kills programs based on a hierarchy to keep the minfree memory available. What you can do is alter the minfrees to work best with how you use your phone.

3) actually the stock fp1 kernel is a decent kernel. The only custom fp1 kernel is imnuts pb&j kernel. Personally don't notice a huge difference between stock and pbj. Obviously pbj offers over clocking and some other goodies but the stock fp1 is a smooth kernel
    I don't think flashing a new kernel will offer you much.

Since you're talking about flashing a new kernel I assume you're rooted? You might want to look at a custom rom (eclipse or tweaked) which has some tweaks and generally offers better performance over stock.

Sent from my SCH-I510

Links