DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Charge speakerphone: full- or half-duplex? Not easy to Google!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Question Charge speakerphone: full- or half-duplex? Not easy to Google!

Is the Samsung DROID Charge's speakerphone full-duplex or half-duplex? I'm not having the easiest time Googling for the answer.

Thanks!

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Charge SCH-I510
    I believe it's full duplex - I just called my voicemail and spoke loudly into the microphone and was still able to hear the voicemail as I spoke.

I thought it might've been half duplex, because while I had a tech support person on speakerphone the other night, when they placed me on hold (with the music) I coughed and the music cut out for a second... But I would have to think it'd be the same in voicemail as well.

For those of you unsure what the full vs half duplex refers to... Duplex refers that two devices (such as the Charge and the phone you've called and are speaking to) that can communicate in both directions (send your voice, receive theirs), but full or half refers to whether it can be done simultaneously. Full means that while you're speaking, the other person can be speaking, and both of you would hear what the other said. Half, of course, means that when the Charge mic picks your voice up, the speaker goes silent until you no longer speak (or make noise).
    Motorola Droid A855
    February 2010 - September 30, 2011 (600+ days!)
    Android 2.0.1 Eclair (Rooted, Bugless Beast)
    Samsung Charge SCH-I510
    September 30, 2011 --
    Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread (P3Droid Leak)

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

It's a tough one, it seems. Usually that music on hold cut-out is a solid sign that it's a half-duplex speakerphone. But then, your voice-mail experience appears to contradict that. Two tests, different results on the surface.

Any chance you could test with someone on the other end? If he or she hums loudly and you can interrupt them ("hey, quit it!"), that should be definitive verification of full-duplex. Try it several times in both directions (see if they can interrupt you humming as well).

Thank you if do-able!

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Charge SCH-I510
    Quote Originally Posted by P2R View Post
    Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

It's a tough one, it seems. Usually that music on hold cut-out is a solid sign that it's a half-duplex speakerphone. But then, your voice-mail experience appears to contradict that. Two tests, different results on the surface.

Any chance you could test with someone on the other end? If he or she hums loudly and you can interrupt them ("hey, quit it!"), that should be definitive verification of full-duplex. Try it several times in both directions (see if they can interrupt you humming as well).

Thank you if do-able!

Haha, actually I just came back to reply that on lunch I put my wife on speakerphone and (as I usually do, so she didn't suspect anything) I attempted to yell nonsensical things when she was talking, and she continued unfazed (as she should be, she's known me long enough!) and I heard every word she said.

I'm guessing that it was the company's phone service that was half duplex, and so the Charge must've relayed my voice to the service, which stopped sending music to listen.

I'd say with 99% certainty that the Charge is indeed full duplex
    Motorola Droid A855
    Samsung Charge SCH-I510
    September 30, 2011 --

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    What you're describing actually sounds like a half-duplex experience: you can't interrupt a speaker on the far-end when they are full-duplex. She might have continued unfazed despite your saying random things because she wasn't hearing your interjections due to half-duplex at your end! Surprising she didn't even pause to say "what?," thinking she may not have heard you correctly.

In other words, could be that you *couldn't* interrupt her due to a half-duplex speakerphone while talking to a full-duplex opposite party. Maybe test to ensure you truly can *interrupt* a speaking full-duplex party?

Either way, sounds like a wonderfully patient wife. :-)

7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Charge SCH-I510
    Quote Originally Posted by P2R View Post
    What you're describing actually sounds like a half-duplex experience: you can't interrupt a speaker on the far-end when they are full-duplex. She might have continued unfazed despite your saying random things because she wasn't hearing your interjections due to half-duplex at your end! Surprising she didn't even pause to say "what?," thinking she may not have heard you correctly.

In other words, could be that you *couldn't* interrupt her due to a half-duplex speakerphone while talking to a full-duplex opposite party. Maybe test to ensure you truly can *interrupt* a speaking full-duplex party?

Either way, sounds like a wonderfully patient wife. :-)

Indeed she is, wonderful in general that is.

I thought that test was more than sufficient, because all that we really care about is whether or not I was able to hear her as I yelled into the speakerphone, and whether or not she heard my nonsense as she spoke (which I can confirm she did). The entire unfazed part was just for comic relief, but she did indeed hear it.

So I guess that test confirms that both the Samsung Charge and the LG Octane are both full duplex (I wasn't on speaker on her end, so its not that surprising)
    Motorola Droid A855
    Samsung Charge SCH-I510
    September 30, 2011 --

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    > she did indeed hear it.

Well, that confirms it then. Thanks again!

Links