DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to change icons in menu area

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

How to change icons in menu area

How do I can the icons shown in the menu (shaded) area at the bottom on the home screen?
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    What did you just say?
    Last edited by da2zoe; 09-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Every time a phone is rooted, an angel gets its wings.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Twitter
    is a bird sound
    Phone
    S3, Nexus7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoe54 View Post
    How do I can the icons shown in the menu (shaded) area at the bottom on the home screen?
    What launcher are you using? Have you installed anything from the market or is it stock TW?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    If you mean "change" as opposed to "can" and you are using the stock Samsung Touchwiz interface ...

1. Just open the app drawer.
    2. Touch the little "gear" looking icon in the upper left of the screen so that the app icons have an opaque box around them and a + or -.
    3. Drag the desired app icons to the shaded area on the bottom of the home screen. (You will replace existing items if you drag a new icon in its place. 4 is the max number of icons).
    4. When done, click the options button (left-hand bottom button) and touch "save".

If you meant "can" as in getting rid of the bar -- well, other than downloading and installing a new launcher app, I do not think it can be done.
    Last edited by ripper2860; 09-26-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Themer Launcher
    Stock ROM (JB 4.3) -- awaiting KitKat

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge

Smile Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ripper2860 View Post
    If you mean "change" as opposed to "can" and you are using the stock Samsung Touchwiz interface ...

2. Touch the little "gear" looking icon in the upper left of the screen so that the app icons have an opaque box around them and a + or -.
    3. Drag the desired app icons to the shaded area on the bottom of the home screen. (You will replace existing items if you drag a new icon in its place. 4 is the max number of icons).
    4. When done, click the options button (left-hand bottom button) and touch "save".

If you meant "can" as in getting rid of the bar -- well, other than downloading and installing a new launcher app, I do not think it can be done.
    I have been so frustrated because I use Google Voice and cancelled the messaging plan. I wanted to change that dock icon ever since getting the phone. I just did it thanks to you.
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Welcome to the forum. You can also use a home replacement app that will give you various choices on layout and what shortcuts go where. You do not have to be rooted to run them either.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    618-214-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper2860 View Post

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but when I hit the gear looking thing it brings up all my home screens to "set" and doesn't give me any of what you are describing above. please help because I would love to rearrange that bottom row of app icons.

thanks
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Twitter
    is a bird sound
    Phone
    S3, Nexus7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banny01 View Post
    I don't know what I am doing wrong, but when I hit the gear looking thing it brings up all my home screens to "set" and doesn't give me any of what you are describing above. please help because I would love to rearrange that bottom row of app icons.

thanks
    If you are on the stock home screens (launcher) that came with your phone then this process should work. I haven't been on the stock for a while but pretty sure I remember how I used to change dock icons. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong....lol. If you have installed another launcher from the market then let us know and we can help you with the steps for whichever one you are using.

• Open applications by tapping the app icon on the right of your dock.
    • Make sure your apps are showing in the grid view. If they aren't then go to Menu>Grid View
    • When icons are in Grid view go to Menu>Edit
    • Now you should be able to move the app icons around. Drag whatever you want to the dock area and it will replace what's there.
    "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Twitter
    is a bird sound
    Phone
    S3, Nexus7
    Premium Member
    Oh du! Where are my manners? Welcome fastblue and banny01 to the Forums!
    "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    618-214-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post
    If you are on the stock home screens (launcher) that came with your phone then this process should work. I haven't been on the stock for a while but pretty sure I remember how I used to change dock icons. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong....lol. If you have installed another launcher from the market then let us know and we can help you with the steps for whichever one you are using.

• Open applications by tapping the app icon on the right of your dock.
    • Make sure your apps are showing in the grid view. If they aren't then go to Menu>Grid View
    • When icons are in Grid view go to Menu>Edit
    • Now you should be able to move the app icons around. Drag whatever you want to the dock area and it will replace what's there.
    obviously I am not great with technology - I have not changed any launcher or anything with my phone. it is the exact same that was on there. However, I am still unable to change my dock. I did exactly what you said and it will move the applications around, but not replace them on the dock. I drag it down to the dock and it just puts the application on the last page of applications when i "let go"....never mind, I just figured it out. I was trying to replace the applications icon and that is a non-replaceable one. The first way definitely still doesn't work, but the above does. THANKS!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links