DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Google maps/latitude and GPS problems...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Google maps/latitude and GPS problems...

I have an unrooted Droid Charge.

When I originally set up my phone, I also set up Google Latitude. It gave me the options to choose the accuracy of the GPS setting. It had 3 or 4 options. The ones I can remember are- About using cell tower (less accurate, uses less power)... The other I can kind of remember, Use GPS/phone location/etc... (uses most power, most accurate). Currently, this option is NOT in the options menu. I originally chose less power option. But, I want to change it back to most accurate.

Currently, my gps location is not always correct and the only time it is always completely accurate is when I have wifi enabled...

My blackberry, I chose the most accurate option and it it always accurate to "3 meters".

Btw, I am not referring to the "Location Reporting" menu.

Is there a way to fix this without hard reset?

I tried to uninstall Google Maps but, the only option was to uninstall updates. Once I did, it updated automatically within a few mins. Is there a way to COMPLETELY remove the program then reinstall?

thank you your help!

P.S. I know cell tower and wifi are not gps.
    Yes, Settings-location is for the phone itself. Latitudes has options when you first set up latitude on your phone (not the automatic detect, set location,hide location menu). The options screen im looking for has a list of accuracy options. The last option on that screen says something like- gps+cell (most accurate, uses most power). This is the menu I am looking for...

I even tried to hard reset the phone thinking id see that screen again but, seems as if lungs already knew my settings so I wasn't given those particular options. Perhaps took settings from my email address. With my blackberry, anytime I had to hard reset, I had to reinstall latitude. Everything I did, that screen in looking for would pop right up. The app gives you those options, not the phone location settings...

I know I repeated some things. I posted this topic on another website and I kept getting a run around without an answer... Any help would be appreciated!

P.P.S... What would be the benefits of me rooting my phone?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I510
    Have you tried going to Settings and then to Locations and Security and selecting or unselecting the three options there?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jag1966 View Post
    Have you tried going to Settings and then to Locations and Security and selecting or unselecting the three options there?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
    I have. That is not the menu I am looking for... thank you though...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I just got my Charge last weekend. I tried to use the GPS navigation the other day for the 1st time and "my current location" wasnt even close to where I was, not within miles or even in the same city! So suffice to say the directions it gave me did me no good. I checked and unchecked all the location boxes and nothing helped. I finally just gave up. Then last night I went to use it and it said "searching for GPS" for about 5min until I gave up again. My girlfriend pulled out her Windows 7 phone and got us directions with no problem.

I came from a Moto Droid 1 and never, ever had any issue with the GPS. This is twice in a row now. Im quickly beginning to sour on this phone. Love the display but between this and a few other things its looking like the phone is going back within my return window.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Charge 4G
    We have two Charges and I have experienced a similar problem with one not being able to find GPS signal while using Google maps (searching for minutes with no luck). One phone worked the other did not. GPS was enabled and I tried toggling it On-Off with no luck. Rebooting the phone fixed the problem but that is a lousy fix. I have not had a similar problem on the other phone. Not sure of the cause. Added note - wow using Google Navigation sure sucks the battery dry fast.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    i had the same problem with my original Charge. the navigation and maps were useless as the phone couldn't keep a lock on my position...even with the GPS enabled it would constantly drift its position on the map. My guess is the GPS receiver wasn't very fast in receiving its signal from the satellites, if it didn't get a signal within a certain time, it would revert to using the cell towers to determine location, which is less accurate, hence the drift. Resetting the phone didn't help, so I finally had it exchanged for a different unit, and this second one seems to work better. Note: compared to most other phones with GPS receivers built in the Charge is SLOW in acquiring the satellite signals.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    There are a couple of apps you can download that help the GPS accuracy. One is called faster fix and the other is called GPS Booster. Both require having a rooted phone however.I've used tehm and while my accuracy is not anywhere near what I got with my Blackberry Storm or LG Revolution I'm able to get accuracy to within 15 ft most of the time.

Links