DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid Charge now or wait for 4G iPhone?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OGDroid Incredible

Droid Charge now or wait for 4G iPhone?

So I currently have an original MotoDroid. I have to tell you, the device disappointed me very much when I got it and its been a year since I upgraded to it and I can't help but think it's completely obsolete. Its buggy, slow, laggy, and overall just not a reliable heavy usage smartphone.

Let's not get fanboyish guys, I made my decision to get the first 4G LTE iPhone months ago and its still on my to do list. Unless the Droid Charge is such a great device that it changes my mind about android, I will not be staying with android come a years time.

Now with the Droid Charge being free with a new contract on amazon on memorial day, I am extremely tempted to get it to replace my og Droid. Would you suggest going for it, or just waiting for a LTE iPhone like I had planned? Suggestions/reasons will be greatly appreciate.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I'd get the charge, simply because it's free and the 4G iphone could still be a year out.

Sent from my brain using my fingers.
    Ad astra per alia porci- John Steinbeck.
    No pigs cannot fly, but I am a seventh day porcinist and believe that bacon was brought to us by angels.

Razr, Charge, Thunderbolt, DroidX, Fascinate, OG Droid, GalaxyTab
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'd get the LG revolution. I've been looking at all of VZW's 4G offerings and Think the Revo is better than either the TB or Charge.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
    I'd get the LG revolution. I've been looking at all of VZW's 4G offerings and Think the Revo is better than either the TB or Charge.
    Based on?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Damn putting down the og Droid. First off the og Droid is a beast of a phone. You obviously are not rooted otherwise you would not have made those accusations about the Droid.

What you should do is root your Droid, install Chevy SS 5.3, and wait for the iPhone since that's what you really want. No point in signing a 2 year contract with an OS you don't like.

Where do you live? Are you certain 4g coverage is in your area?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    If you wanna wait a year for a Verizon 4g iPhone, you might as well get the new "super" android phone they are supposed to be coming out with then, 4g obviously most likely gingerbread OS, dual core 1Ghz, and supposedly massive internal storage too, 10mp camera and a front facing camera too and those are just the estimated specs, it might end up being even better than that

Sent from my Droid
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Damn putting down the og Droid. First off the og Droid is a beast of a phone. You obviously are not rooted otherwise you would not have made those accusations about the Droid.

What you should do is root your Droid, install Chevy SS 5.3, and wait for the iPhone since that's what you really want. No point in signing a 2 year contract with an OS you don't like.

Where do you live? Are you certain 4g coverage is in your area?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    If you're waiting till next year for a 4g phone anyway Verizon says the 4g network will be everywhere by then...btw double thumbs up on the Chevy SS 5.3 rom suggestion, 5.4 is supposed to be out soon though

Sent from my Droid

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Oh and a very very easy way to root a Droid if you haven't already is going onto www.4shared.com and searching for z4root .apk (leave the space in to account for slightly different file names and version numbers)

Sent from my Droid

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    RaptorOO7
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Honestly the iPhone won't get 4G LTE until IP6 in 2012 or early 2013, Apple does not hop onto new technology and we know the first two iphones were edge only. I had the TB, too many issues, actually just returned the LG Revo yesterday. I got it on launch day, and I will say it is a nice phone. Good weight, screen is good and the optimus ui isn't as crappy as other say (of course UI is a personal thing.

The Revolution was responsive, has the exact same processor the ThunderBolt has, same amount of RAM the Charge as but I didn't like two things. First they do give you 16GB of internal storage (and a 16GB microSD card) but they went and split the internal storage into two parts. You only get 1.7GB of app/phone storage and the balance 12GB+ is a "internal SD card" storage. I would have kept it had they left the 14GB as one solid storage space like the OG DroidX.

I did have an issue with the screen having dead pixels, which I have honestly not had happen in 10 years of smartphone use (I go all the way back to the Samsung I700 oin Verizon and beyond).

The other thing that concerned me was developer support. For some this won't be an issue, for me it was. I don't run stock I like custom and honestly I rely on the developer communities creativity to offer up that customized world. The LG Revolution has been rooted, but XDA-Developers has no plans to add an LG Revolution forum section and that really is a key place to find devs to support.

Fortunately I am starting to see developer support for the Droid Charge in fact developer (kejar31) who created the Liberty ROM on the DX and Tesla Coil on the ThunderBolt has jumped over to the Charge so I do look froward to some great custom work.

Regardless I think you would be happy with either the Revolution or the Charge, equally.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by acles003 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
    Based on?
    Same Processor as the TB, Screen almost as good as the Charge and better than the TB. Unlocked bootloader,

Fast UI that is almost stock.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links