DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charge

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Samsung does NOT support their phones after release, if you want proof, go ask the fascinate community

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  2. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astang99 View Post
    Samsung does NOT support their phones after release, if you want proof, go ask the fascinate community

Yes, that's why I was asking about the dev side (root, ROMs, etc).
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    samsung fascinate
    I just need a new phone I'm not sure what one to go with

Sent from my SCH-I500
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    I'm sure it will. The DX, D2, and D2G weren't supposed to be rooted but...

This thread has been Thunder struck!!
    That is why I do not purchase a phone on the release date. I wait until the community confirms root and the developers release a rom or two.
    Good thinking! How has Sammy's support been on the dev side? Haven't really followed.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!
    Not as active as on other devices, I think.
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    It's there, the fascinate doesn't have many custom roms, I think its superclean, dark revenge, and a couple of others. The problem was that since samsung would never release 2.2 source for the fascinate, it became quite a daunting task to make roms, and no overclocking also due to no source 2.2.

6. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astang99 View Post
    It's there, the fascinate doesn't have many custom roms, I think its superclean, dark revenge, and a couple of others. The problem was that since samsung would never release 2.2 source for the fascinate, it became quite a daunting task to make roms, and no overclocking also due to no source 2.2.

BAD Sammy!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    From what I gather, the Charge has the the 4.3" screen, LTE 4G, and a rather strange shape on basically a Galaxy chassis. It might or might not support Netflix.

The Galaxy S2, slated for later in the year, is thinner, has a dual core processor, virtually certainly has DRM for Netflix. The display is the same as the Droid Charge: 4.3" Super AMOLED Plus.

The Bionic has a slightly higher resolution (960x540 vs. 800x480) which might or might not be meaningful. The Samsung Electronics processors had better graphics performance than the Qualcomm Snapdragons. If it has OS support the dual cores should exceed most current app needs.

However, the big Bionic feature would be the clamshell attachment.

As for me...Verizon is charging $30 more for the phone on a one year contract than a two year contract...so I think we may go with a one year contract and see what develops. Presumably 2012 will bring an even further enhanced set of phones.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
    From what I gather, the Charge has the the 4.3" screen, LTE 4G, and a rather strange shape on basically a Galaxy chassis. It might or might not support Netflix.

The Galaxy S2, slated for later in the year, is thinner, has a dual core processor, virtually certainly has DRM for Netflix. The display is the same as the Droid Charge: 4.3" Super AMOLED Plus.

The Bionic has a slightly higher resolution (960x540 vs. 800x480) which might or might not be meaningful. The Samsung Electronics processors had better graphics performance than the Qualcomm Snapdragons. If it has OS support the dual cores should exceed most current app needs.

However, the big Bionic feature would be the clamshell attachment.

As for me...Verizon is charging $30 more for the phone on a one year contract than a two year contract...so I think we may go with a one year contract and see what develops. Presumably 2012 will bring an even further enhanced set of phones.

How do you know they are only charging a $30 premium on the one year contract?
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Went online, selected an upgrade to a HTC Thunderbolt, and compared the 2-year contract $200 price to the 1-year contract $230 price. It was $599 without a contract. In an e-mail they say the 1-year contract qualifies for 10-month upgrade, the 2-year was 20-months.

They also have a trade-in program, last year's Samsung Facinate is listed at $130, a Droid 2 Global (which was available last fall in a 2 for $199 deal) is $72.

Net, I would expect the net cost to go from an Droid Charge to the Galaxy S 2 model (with dual core processor, etc.) after one year with a one-year contract renewal and a trade-in will be around $100-150.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Samsung hasn't given the power user consumer a single reason to support any of their phones. You're taking a huge gamble on being unhappy from the context of modifying your phone, or enjoying the fruits of the Android community by jumping into their products. You'll literally watch everyone else having fun with things you won't have access to. I can only stand that puppy-in-the-window feeling too long with my tech before I get mad as hell. XD
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links