DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Android tethering FAQ thread

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Android tethering FAQ thread

What is wifi tethering?

android-wifi-tether
    Wireless Tether for Root Users

Wifitethering is an app in the android market that was created by Harald Hue, ulfalda, bbuxton, and andrew robinson. It allows you to use the internet on your phone through your computer through AD-HOC mode. Known issues from wifi tethering is that your phone heats up from use. Wifi tethering app can be downloaded from the android market or through code.google.com In order to use the app users must be rooted. And rooting does void your warranty.
    Will verizon, (other carrier) charge me for using the app? Because verizon offers mobile broadband service using any form of tethering out side of the specified plans is against your contract agreement. As a result verizon (or other carrier) has all rights to void your contract and charge you for the data used from unauthorized tethering.

Are there other tethering apps? Yes, here are a list of unauthorized tethering apps/programs: wifi tethering, barnacle tethering, pdanet and easy tether. For a list of authorized tethering apps please contact or visit your carriers web site.

What is Barnacle: Is an app similar to wifi tethering in that it turns your device into a wireless modem. Like wifi tethering app it uses ad-hoc mode and requires root. For more info visit the dev website: szym.net: Barnacle Wifi Tether

Pdanet: This app allows users to use their phone as a modem. This requires that your phone be hooked into the device (ie computer laptop) and that the required software from the developer is installed. The developer has a free and a paid version. The paid version is required to go to secured sites. For more info see the dev site: PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Easytether: Like Pdanet, easytether requires that your phone be hooked up to your computer. It also requires that you install the required software to the computer that you want to tether with. You can find easytether on the android market

3g Mobile hotspot: This is an app provided by verizon to allow authorized wifi tethering. Plans and details can be found by visiting verizon's website or contacting a customer service rep. http://community.vzw.com/t5/Voice-an...ns/td-p/288316

Droid Forums (or its sister sites) do not condone unauthorized tethering. It is highly recommend that users visit their local carriers website to set up authorized means of tethering. Users should know that the carrier have all rights to suspend services and charge for unauthorized use of broadband services. This thread is so that people will have the answers they need about the different tethering apps out there, but recommend that the users follow the contract agreement with their carrier and seek only authorized tethering apps/programs.
    Last edited by pc747; 09-30-2010 at 05:16 PM.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Should also mention that WiFi Tethering sucks battery life faster than anything else, with the possible exception of Nav, and even then I'd say it edges the other out.

Other than that and the broken image for Easy Tether it looks good, PC.

EDIT:

Broken image issue resolved with the removal from the OP.
    Last edited by furbearingmammal; 10-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Should also mention that WiFi Tethering sucks battery life faster than anything else, with the possible exception of Nav, and even then I'd say it edges the other out.

Other than that and the broken image for Easy Tether it looks good, PC.
    Just removed it before you posted that. And that is true that tethering through wifi is a battery killer.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID X
    Which one would you say is best?
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    All of the unauthorized tethering apps are on the market and the ratings that they have matches the app. If you want to keep from voiding your warranty and possibly voiding you contract I would suggest the 3g mobile hot spot. But in a vacuum wifi tethering is tethering app.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR

Tethering and Verizon

I live out in the sticks where we can't get internet (unless its by satellite). So we just bought a Droid X and LG Ally to tether with. So my question is:

How many people tether and go over 5gb a month? Does Verizon care?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto X
    I garantee you I do. I tether my rooted x with my ps2 for online gaming.....
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by carcrazygts2 View Post
    I've always wondered if it was possible to do that, especially with an Xbox 360. Do you get a lot of lag?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto X
    Not really its actually better than cable connection I have athome 90% of the time. I meant my ps3. But ihave a nodded and jailbroken ps3 running on linux. What helps is there is a VZW celltower with in 1000ft of my home
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by carcrazygts2 View Post
    So how many gigs do you use a month? We basically just watch alot of streaming video and downloads...
    Last edited by brad92; 10-01-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Links