DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Update Security Settings

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I get this nag notification often. However, I am aware what IT policy I don't have in place. In my case, it is the need for an unlock password on my phone... which I don't want. I know why I should have it, but I don't want it. Please save your breath lecturing me about security.

@OldFatGuy: you need to ask about your IT admin about the specific security policy, not just for your mail server settings.

I've removed and added the account several times, but this doesn't stop the message. It doesn't just appear when I startup, it appears every time a new email arrives. Ugh!
    In my case, when I click on the notification, it doesn't even take me to the account settings or phone settings. It doesn't know what to do, so it just goes away. I would still prefer not to be nagged about it all the time.

The workaround for me was to disable email push. I set it to never check--I'll do it manually when I need to check this email remotely.

I suspect many of you will need or want push notifications enabled and I think you're out of luck besides obtaining the correct security settings and implementing them on your phone. Consider yourself lucky that it synchronizes at all without the correct security settings. When Google gets around to making Exchange a priority, you likely won't be able to sync OR your Exchange admin will be able to control many aspects of your phone, including a remote wipe if they so choose.

My ideal (which is probably a couple years away before programmers get around to setting it up this way), would be to require the security policy for the ACCOUNT (managed by the app, but I would accept for the whole APP too since most people don't have Exchange accounts from different orgs), but not for the whole phone. So, if my Admin wants a two factor authentication, then the app can require a password before displaying my email.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmerrick View Post
    Anyone figure out how to stop this below???

Ever since taking the 2.2 update, Exchange (on the phone) has been saying "Update Security Settings" for my corporate account.
    So...did you read this thread at all before posting? dlwhtrose answered it in the post right above yours.
    Obviously, you weren't an English major and don't read much. What you claim is an answer is anything but a definitive answer. You ought to save your sarcasm for topics you know something about because you only expose yourself when you pop off and are wrong.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by emeacham View Post
    -- POSSIBLE FIX --

I had the same issue many of you have stated above on my Droid (Milestone). I resolved it by doing the following...

Applications > Email
    Press and hold on the affected account and choose "Remove account" then press OK.

Once that is done, setup your account again.
    I removed my account and set it up again last week. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem. I still get the "update security settings" message each morning and sometimes during the day.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid2 A955

Me too

I have just ran into this over the weekend. I moved to another ROM on friday. I was using corporate sync but now I'm forced to use Exchange option instead. I've noticed a few things. First, the email account needs to be listed as a device administrator in the Location&Security->Device Admins. This lets the "E-Mail" application control certain features from the exchange side. This includes a remote data wipe of Email data only. Force a pin code policy for the phone due to potential security risk of lost phone. Log logins. maybe a few others. It doesn't include My Location, uninstallation of apps..... Anyways Second, my company uses a self signed certificate which would require user intervention using any web browser. The cert wasn't signed by a licensed vendor like verisign. It was signed by our internal exchange server so it asks you to verify it. This requires you to check the option "Accept All SSL Certificates" under Account Settings->Incoming Options. Finally I noticed it asks to "Update Security Policy" on every reboot. I also had my Wifi on and the router was clogged and non-responsive. Wouldn't issue DHCP. The E-mail app couldn't sync correctly as the icon swirlled in circles. Turned on 3G, went into Account Settings->Incoming Options and tapped Next. It popped up a box asking to add xxx.yyy.com as an admin, I said OK. Go back to your inbox and let it re-sync. Reboot. Still get the error.

I have setup a pin, deleted the account, wiped the "EMail" application settings, create account, apply admin approval, resync, and reboot. The error persists. At this point its pointing to default behavior of the EMail program. If you reboot your phone and quickly open up Email and goto your inbox, it should say "Unable to open...security error" near the top within a minute. You get 2 notifications one after the other. If you hit menu->refresh a couple times, the "Unable to open..." message goes away. Maybe Email is waiting on an event that isn't triggered for a bit.... Or it takes just a minute or two after booting to get the 3G setup and functioning. Not quite sure. let me know if you find a workaround.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Well this thread is located in the non rooted help section but if you do happen to be rooted the fix is to replace the email.apk with a modified version.

[APP] **Updated 9/22/2010** Android Email.apk latest src code w/o Exchange security - xda-developers

I've been using this for awhile now and it works great.
    OG Droid retired but serving as a wireless tablet now and then.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS
    Tried that link but the file wouldn't work on my rooted droid (project elite rom)
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G
    To correct the "Please Update User Settings" error on Android 2.1 or higher, ask your Exchange 2007/2010 administrator run this command:

In Exchange 2007/2010 Management Shell paste the following command:

Set-ActiveSyncMailboxPolicy “Default” -IsDefaultPolicy $False

ISLOCK.COM
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by ISLOCK.COM View Post
    To correct the "Please Update User Settings" error on Android 2.1 or higher, ask your Exchange 2007/2010 administrator run this command:

In Exchange 2007/2010 Management Shell paste the following command:

ISLOCK.COM

You ROCK! I just logged in to my compaines exchange 2k7 server, and set the policy as above. Works great now!!

Thanks!
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    After Exchange 2007/2010 Management Shell command:

Samsung sync, but most of other models (nokia) stop working.
    Exchange 2010 SP1
    Samsung GT-I9000 Firmware 2.2.1

Any help?
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone

Requires security settings update

The solution I found was that for using an Exchange server, I had to specify the domain name with the user name. Once I did this, the phone took the setup and began receiving emails.

I did have to delete the account first and recreate it as it would not allow me to add the domain name after the fact.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links