DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooted but Unrooted Droid?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.2

Rooted but Unrooted Droid?

Well,

I installed Easy root on my droid about a week ago and installed BB 0.4 with Android 2.2 and everything was working fine. I noticed that when I tried to put my phone on silent it did not have an option for all sounds off, just a vibrate option. I then proceeded to get rid of BB0.4 by just installing Android 2.2 from the Stock list in ROM Manager. The option for silent mode was still not to be found. So I went to put BB 0.4 back on my device and i kept getting an error in Rom Manager stating "An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!"

I went into Easy Root and attempted to unroot and then reroot my phone, however, when I try to unroot the phone I get the message "Failed to unroot"

I tried whiping the cache, data, factory restore, nothing will get Rom Manager working again. Does anyone have any information on this? I have attached some images if you want to look at the errors for yourself. I have also tried installing Froyo from Recovery Mode but that have also failed to get RomManager back up and running.

Any help would be amazing

Thanks,

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rooted but Unrooted Droid?-picture-4.jpg   Rooted but Unrooted Droid?-picture-3.jpg   Rooted but Unrooted Droid?-picture-5.jpg  
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    to the forum Jandrews. Lots of people have the same trouble with rom manager. I am moving this to the rescue squad section in hopes you get some help. I suggest uninstalling rom manager and using sprecovery in the future to avoid these common issues. Good luck!
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Get rid of Rom Manager and easy root and go here:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ot-unroot.html

Do option 1, then 5, then 2 then you load up any Rom you like.
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Here is a link I am screwed to a current and similar thread.
    Let us know how you resolve.

Mike
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You probably just need to do a "Force Re-Root". On the "congrats" screen hit the menu button to find this. It fixes 99.9% of all problems.
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gweedo767 View Post
    You probably just need to do a "Force Re-Root". On the "congrats" screen hit the menu button to find this. It fixes 99.9% of all problems.

I've not used Easy Root and am not familiar with it thus my question.

Is the "Forced-Re-Root" a command within Easy Root? If so, does the app provide any specifics on what it accomplishes and when/why a user should access this particular function of the app?

Any help/insight is appreciated.

Mike
  7. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    First things first......... get rid of easy root. I have seen nothing but issues with it and feel it creates more headaches than it is worth.

Next, you may have to start over with rooting. There is a good guide in my signature that you can follow. From there you can either stick with Rom Manager and ClockworkMod or SPRecovery.

Just remember that which ever one you choose, flashing roms, themes, etc are done differently. Each developer will have instructions for both with their roms. I personally use ClockworkMod and Rom Manager, now that does not mean you should. It is what I learned to use first and have stuck with it. You do have to understand that if you do use CW/RM they are finicky and you have to be patient with them. RM runs best if you can use WiFi and before downloading anything, clear the download cache. SPRecovery is also very good and is considered more stable for most people. Just anything you want to flash has to be named update.zip in order for SPR to load it.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gweedo767 View Post

I've not used Easy Root and am not familiar with it thus my question.

Is the "Forced-Re-Root" a command within Easy Root? If so, does the app provide any specifics on what it accomplishes and when/why a user should access this particular function of the app?

Any help/insight is appreciated.

Mike
    All it does it is re-run the rooting process used by Easy Root. If for some reason 'su' got dropped in /system/bin/ but Superuser.apk isn't where it belongs it will fix that. It is the most common issue I have seen with Easy Root and has always fixed it.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X, rooted stock
    I have a question...if you go into recovery, do you have more than just the stock Froyo back up? If so, have you tried one of the rooted backups? I noticed too that the silent on the lock screen and volume buttons only puts the phone into vibrate. I just use Beautiful Silent widget to put the phone into silent. You might want to just try that next time. You might just have to live with it.

Links