So I followed the droid-life.com method to get SPRecovery on my stock 2.1 droid.
Everything went fine, I had SPRecovery and I was going to try to get root access using this ESE81update.zip created by pete and following this method...
file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Well, I downloaded the file and renamed it update.zip and put it on the root of my sd card.
First time, it just didn't work, after i did a factory reset and tried to install update.zip in sprecovery, it just said installation failed. So I did a reboot in sprecovery, went and redownloaded the file and renamed it again and put it on the sdcard again...same exact thing I just did.
So I booted into sprecovery again and tried to install it and this time it actually started to install the update.zip. I saw the WWW.PETERALFONSO.COM line and everything. Then, it said, Installation almost done...and then it said SOMETHING about b/img...failed. I didn't write it down so I don't know exactly what it said. Sorry.
I tried to reboot using sprecovery and it was stuck at the Motorola logo for 10 minutes. I did a battery pull and tried to boot up again and it still stuck at the motorola logo. I can still get into sprecovery, but not do a normal bootup.