DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some help rooting

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid

Need some help rooting

I am having trouble getting past the 1st 8 steps of the rooting process. Pathetic I know...

Anyway, on step 7 where he says run update.zip, I don't have that option. I have apply sdcard:update.zip and that is what I select.

And this is what I get

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

Also, at no point does he even say to remove the USB cord while trying to go to the boot menu but I had to otherwise I couldn't pull up the proper menu.

Help me out please. it's 4 am and I wanna get this done before I go to sleep. Thanks in advance
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    Ok, so I made sure that I saved it in the proper menu location of I and only I. Not I/whatever, just I. I checked to make sure it wasn't update.zip.zip under properties of the file and it was not. However, I did notice that it wasn't update. anything at all so I changed it to update.zip and tried to root again, no bueno. help me out guys... if you're awake that is...
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    ok, so when I added the .zip I had hidden file extensions and Iaccidently made it update.zip.zip. I have gone back and fixed this issue. Still no good...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    I tried again, I get the same error message as I got before and nothing. I tried to reboot from that menu anyway after it was done and my phone did eventually reboot but with some kind of weird force close thing going on. I hit "wait" and it continued to run look normal eevn though it said something about system process failure. I have no idea what I'm not doing right but clearly I'm screwing up somewhere somehow.

Also, the update file that I am saving and loading on my computer and phone are 10.1megs so it's close to what he said it should be. I'm wondering if the 10.1 and 10.6megs of information he says it should be is what I'm missing.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid

This is what i posted in the FAQ section thinking I was posting it here

So I screwed up and posted in the wrong section and I copied it to here hoping someone could help me.

Need some help rooting
    I am having trouble getting past the 1st 8 steps of the rooting process. Pathetic I know...

Anyway, on step 7 where he says run update.zip, I don't have that option. I have apply sdcard:update.zip and that is what I select.

And this is what I get

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

Also, at no point does he even say to remove the USB cord while trying to go to the boot menu but I had to otherwise I couldn't pull up the proper menu.

Help me out please. it's 4 am and I wanna get this done before I go to sleep. Thanks in advance

Ok, so I made sure that I saved it in the proper menu location of I and only I. Not I/whatever, just I. I checked to make sure it wasn't update.zip.zip under properties of the file and it was not. However, I did notice that it wasn't update. anything at all so I changed it to update.zip and tried to root again, no bueno. help me out guys... if you're awake that is...

ok, so when I added the .zip I had hidden file extensions and Iaccidently made it update.zip.zip. I have gone back and fixed this issue. Still no good...

I tried again, I get the same error message as I got before and nothing. I tried to reboot from that menu anyway after it was done and my phone did eventually reboot but with some kind of weird force close thing going on. I hit "wait" and it continued to run look normal eevn though it said something about system process failure. I have no idea what I'm not doing right but clearly I'm screwing up somewhere somehow.

Also, the update file that I am saving and loading on my computer and phone are 10.1megs so it's close to what he said it should be. I'm wondering if the 10.1 and 10.6megs of information he says it should be is what I'm missing.

Also, something else i noticed, as soon as I went to the recovery menu or whatever, before I try to do the update.zip, I get this:

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    idk if i can be much help but are you running 2.1 or 2.0.1 and also what guide are you following(this will help anyone else who looks at this understand a little more)
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Post some more details for us, I'm headed out for the day but it will let someone help you out. What directions? There are a few guides to rooting. You are on a motodroid too, right? (gotta ask because the milestone most likely would fail signature verifications unless something recently has changed). You may want to download the file again.

"on step 7 where he says" could be any step 7 somewhere. Include the link and help will be along....good luck!
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Just from what I've read you are on 2.1 and need to follow the guide in #1 of my sig. Let us know if that works for you.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    ok, I have a Motorola Droid and this is the guide I am using http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ation-etc.html

and because my phone is stock, I am running 2.1.
    Thanks again guys. I guess it's pretty obvious I was tired because I forgot to post the most basic needed information assuming that y'all would "magically" know what piece of equipment I am using.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links