DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: quick nandroid question

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member

quick nandroid question

If I do a full wipe, then restore an advanced nandroid backup where I selected everything, is that conceptually the same as flashing the phone back to "scratch" and working my way back to where I was when I did the nandroid backup? Or would it be cleaner to flash back to "scratch" and work my way back up?
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    If I do a full wipe, then restore an advanced nandroid backup where I selected everything, is that conceptually the same as flashing the phone back to "scratch" and working my way back to where I was when I did the nandroid backup? Or would it be cleaner to flash back to "scratch" and work my way back up?
    To follow up since I was a bit rushed earlier, I'm basically trying to figure out if I should take the time to wipe, flash 2.0.1, then re-root (with adb) and work my way back to where I did the nandroid backup or if I should just wipe then restore the nandroid. It "feels" like it would be cleaner to start from scratch, but maybe wiping and then restoring the nandroid is the exact same thing, and obviously much easier/faster.

Guidelines of Conduct
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    A fully functional phone setup that you have created a nandroid backup should be good to go via a nandroid restore. I've never done a wipe when doing that restore.

If you go back to stock 2.01 and then let the OTA bring you back to 2.1 stock you can then just do a sbf flash of sprecovery and then do a restore from there (3rd link in my signature).
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    A fully functional phone setup that you have created a nandroid backup should be good to go via a nandroid restore. I've never done a wipe when doing that restore.

If you go back to stock 2.01 and then let the OTA bring you back to 2.1 stock you can then just do a sbf flash of sprecovery and then do a restore from there (3rd link in my signature).
    Right, but which one is the cleaner way to get back to that point? I posted in the hacks section as well, and I think it's a better explanation of my question.

I realize I am likely being very OCD, but my only experience in life prior to the Droid was with PCs, and it never failed on a PC - a full format and reinstall always left the system running better than a system restore backward to the "same" point. I didn't know if that same concept applied here, b/c obviously doing a nandroid restore is MUCH faster than flashing 2.0.1, adb rooting, etc etc.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of Android, and I'll by no means an expert even once I do learn it better, so I apologize if my question is completely irrelevant!

Guidelines of Conduct
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post

Right, but which one is the cleaner way to get back to that point? I posted in the hacks section as well, and I think it's a better explanation of my question.

I realize I am likely being very OCD, but my only experience in life prior to the Droid was with PCs, and it never failed on a PC - a full format and reinstall always left the system running better than a system restore backward to the "same" point. I didn't know if that same concept applied here, b/c obviously doing a nandroid restore is MUCH faster than flashing 2.0.1, adb rooting, etc etc.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of Android, and I'll by no means an expert even once I do learn it better, so I apologize if my question is completely irrelevant!
    I believe a full nandroid restore, with everything checked off, replaces system, data, etc, and therefore everything has been wiped and replaced. You can do a wipe of cache and data prior to that as well. To be sure though an SBF flash back to stock guarantees you have wiped everything off of your phone.

The whole purpose of doing a backup is to take a snapshot of your phone, as is, then be able to restore it exactly to that state again later if need be. If you took that snapshot and that is what you want to get back to, restore it and you'll be good to go.

also..moving thread to the hack section as this section is for stock phone issues, not root ones.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Ok cool, I appreciate the info, and sorry about the cross post - I didn't hear back for quite awhile so I was afraid I originally posted in the wrong section. Thanks again!

Guidelines of Conduct

Links