DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help from Hacked Section

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Help from Hacked Section

Charles told me to post here if I was still confused. At the moment, I have Cyanogen 5.0.5.7 installed, but somehow it removed root. I'd like to keep using Cyanogen but fix the root. Here are the instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by pilotcharles747 View Post
    You still there. What happened was it broke your root probably. Seen it happen to many people. How much do you know about the rooting process. I will give you what to do. If you need more help post in RS section and we will walk you step by step.

1) install UD 9.0 Ultimate Droid 9.0.0 Update.zip (Updated - can be used with both SPRecovery AND ROM Manager)

2) rename it update.zip (just name it update for windows 7 users)

3) mount your droid

4) put it on the root of your sd card (that mean it do not go in to any folders

5) reboot into recovery (clockwork should look like this

6) click apply sdcard update.zip
    7) wipe data
    8) wipe cahce
    9) reboot
    Reading through this I have a couple of questions.
    1) First thing I would have to do would be a nandroid restore, right? To get back to 2.0.1 with root? Because right now I can't use ROM Manager because it doesn't consider me having root even though the ROM is installed.

2) Doing this method I'll have UD, correct? Is there any way I could do it and have Cyanogen?
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Re: Help from Hacked Section

I could be wrong, but the only way to nandroid back to having root access is to nandroid to a backup you made when you still had it...

Have you tried the process of rooting again? How did you initially root? Manually or through sholes/droid mod?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I have a nandroid backup where I'm rooted. The first time I rooted, it was through DroidMod. Then I heard you had to uninstall DM to go to a 2.1 ROM, so I uninstalled it and did a root method from the people that do a ROM Manager tutorial on Youtube (boot into recovery, install their update.zip).

After that, I installed Cyanogen through ROM Manager, and lost root. I didn't think that you could root 2.1? Maybe that doesn't apply to custom ROMs?
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Ok...Chris is coming in to help us out too. I was stabbing in the dark with the nandroid idea, but he reminded me that nandroid require root access as well. That's why DMupdater roots the phone first, THEN flashes recovery...At least, we're pretty sure that's the case...
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    My understanding of this whole "lost root" thing is this:

Even though you may have a good nandroid recovery file that has a rom, with your settings, and with root access, you can't install it. You need to be rooted to do so.

I'm guessing Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Metamorph, or SetCPU indicated you no longer have root access?

We've tried to get people to apply root again using dmupdater, first set of steps in link 1 of my signature, etc and we haven't had much luck.

We still don't know what makes root go away. The superuser app is there, but no root access.

Link 3 in my sig works. It puts you back at a stock 2.01 phone. Then you can root again using dmupdater or the first link in my signature. Then you can use sprecovery to restore your good nandroid recovery file. Or skip the recovery file and apply the Cyanogen rom file that you wanted.

Let us know how you make out and what you decide to do.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    Ok...Chris is coming in to help us out too. I was stabbing in the dark with the nandroid idea, but he reminded me that nandroid require root access as well. That's why DMupdater roots the phone first, THEN flashes recovery...At least, we're pretty sure that's the case...

Correct.
    1) root (manual steps or with dmupdater)
    2) replace bootloader with clockwork or sprecovery
    3) back up your current stock rom with all your apps and settings, which btw is now rooted
    4) apply the rom of your choice and go from there

if on a 2.1 stock phone you need to insert as a first step the 3rd link in my signature.
    Chris

hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post

Even though you may have a good nandroid recovery file that has a rom, with your settings, and with root access, you can't install it. You need to be rooted to do so.
    Last time I tried to install Cyanogen and realized root was gone, I was told to reflash the ROM. I booted into recovery and ClockworkMod let me go back to where I was before I used RM.

I'm guessing Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Metamorph, or SetCPU indicated you no longer have root access?
    Correct.

We've tried to get people to apply root again using dmupdater, first set of steps in link 1 of my signature, etc and we haven't had much luck.

We still don't know what makes root go away. The superuser app is there, but no root access.
    The superuser app actually isn't there. No ninja in my apps list.

Link 3 in my sig works. It puts you back at a stock 2.01 phone. Then you can root again using dmupdater or the first link in my signature. Then you can use sprecovery to restore your good nandroid recovery file. Or skip the recovery file and apply the Cyanogen rom file that you wanted.

Let us know how you make out and what you decide to do.
    I tried that, actually. This is my second time installing Cyanogen, and both times root was removed.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Well, if you can get into recovery and install a nandroid, you might as well give that a go and see if it brings root back...Or, if droidmod is still 2.0.1 based (Not sure, I think they released something new), you could try flashing IT so that you're 2.0.1, and then use dmupdater to try to re-root.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Yup. The first time that I installed Cyanogen, I used recovery to go back into standard 2.0.1 root. No ROMs. I was rooted after the recovery. Then I tried Cyanogen again, and the same problem happened.
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post

Last time I tried to install Cyanogen and realized root was gone, I was told to reflash the ROM. I booted into recovery and ClockworkMod let me go back to where I was before I used RM.
    You want to try that first then? What rom did you have prior to this? I'm guessing it isn't cyanogen.

You could try to apply it without RM, no? Something is removing root from you and others from time to time and it appears to occur while folks are using RM, clockwork, Cyanogen and not other times (correct me if I am wrong folks!). I don't know what is making it happen though. Do you wipe cache and data?

Whichever path you want to take, we'll follow along.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links